2008 RL vs TL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 RL vs TL?

Hey gang! I'm new to this neighborhood. I spend my time on the TL boards.

I bought my first Acura (2006 TL) about a year and a half ago. I loved that car but sadly it was stolen from an airport parking lot about two weeks ago. I am making it through therapy... mainly by getting right back on the horse. My wife and I hit the local Acura dealership to look at new 08s. The TL-S is very nice, but for the first time we gave the RL a hard look.

I love the sporty exterior of the TL, but honestly the interior appointments are no comparison to the RL. From the features, the sound system, and aesthetic design, the RL absolutely rocks.

On the road, the RL felt a little "mushy", not quite the thrust of the TL-S. I know the RL is heavier but I figured that with the big engine and the SHAWD it would be a tad bit more "punchy". That having been said, maybe it's good for my insurance not to drive around a little rocket ship like the TL-S.

Anyway, love to hear your opinions RL owners... and also just wanted to drop in a say hello! I plan to buy a new Acura once I recieve the insurance payment for my beloved TL. The question is... RL versus TL-S. I wish all choices in life were this great!

~ Steve
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
You're observations are correct in that the RL isn't as "edgy" as the TL, then again, many would argue that's what makes the RL such an attractive car. No disrespect to the TL, but the RL is a much more refined vehicle. Read through the many threads. What you'll find is that this car grows on you as time goes by. You have to live with it for a while to REALLY appreciate it.

If you think it rocks now, I gaurantee that you'll feel even stronger about it after you put some miles on the odometer.

THe RL has to be the most underappreciated car out there.;

I love mine though and would buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
We had an '04 TL that was pummeled in an accident and we traded for an '07 RL due to the fact that the TL makes a lot more road noise while the RL's cabin has the road noise level of a magic carpet. And sure it may not have the oomph of the TL but the RL is a very competent vehicle and the SH-AWD is incredible. I was able to make a hard 270-degree freeway ramp at 50 mph (the ramp is signed for 30) because of the AWD. The RL really is an incredible vehicle.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
As a TL owner and RL consideree, this is my opinion. The RL is great if you want to enjoy the luxuries of a refined vehicle. The TL/S is for those who want to have some luxury, but want to be fast. The Rl is not as fast as the TL, the tl runs 0-60 in 5-6-.8 while the RL runs it in 7.3.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

well if you could hold off.. the 09s!!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
csmeance, curious where did you see 7.3 ?. Most magazines (c&d, r&t, etc) I've read clock the RL at 6.4-6.9 secs 0-60. Also remember most magazines test a TL Type S w/ the manual. The auto model would be slower.

As for the RL vs TL. It's really not a fair comparison. The RL materials are much nicer and stuff that you can't see (eg forged aluminum suspension vs stamped steel on the TL) make a big difference imho. A big selling point for me was the RL is made in Japan vs the TL being made here.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I LOVE the TL. Less refined, yes, but it drives like on rails with appropriate mods. The TL is the BEST FWD sports sedan out there, bar none, and Acura did an awesome job engineering it to minimize torque steer. I can hardly wait to test-drive the 4G TL. I don't complain when my dealer gives me a TL loaner....with that said, though....

The build quality of the RL is much better. My official report on the RL vs. TL topic from last year:

Test drive #2, RL vs TL impressions

With mods, the RL can have a bit more punch and the handling is much crisper. From what you are describing, you are a candidate for A-Spec and 18's on your RL when you buy it. Ask your dealer if they have an A-Spec RL to test-drive, you will not find THAT mushy. Alternatively, before your next test drive, have the salesman inflate the tires to 33-34 psi front and 32 rear. That also makes the ride a bit firmer even in stock configuration. Also consider that the AT modifies to your driving style over a few days and that partially makes up for the anemic gearing.

OK, went too long again....off to work....
Old 10-25-2007, 03:01 PM
2015 Acura TLX AWD

Originally Posted by shbaker
Hey gang! I'm new to this neighborhood. I spend my time on the TL boards.

I bought my first Acura (2006 TL) about a year and a half ago. I loved that car but sadly it was stolen from an airport parking lot about two weeks ago. I am making it through therapy... mainly by getting right back on the horse. My wife and I hit the local Acura dealership to look at new 08s. The TL-S is very nice, but for the first time we gave the RL a hard look.

I love the sporty exterior of the TL, but honestly the interior appointments are no comparison to the RL. From the features, the sound system, and aesthetic design, the RL absolutely rocks.

On the road, the RL felt a little "mushy", not quite the thrust of the TL-S. I know the RL is heavier but I figured that with the big engine and the SHAWD it would be a tad bit more "punchy". That having been said, maybe it's good for my insurance not to drive around a little rocket ship like the TL-S.

Anyway, love to hear your opinions RL owners... and also just wanted to drop in a say hello! I plan to buy a new Acura once I recieve the insurance payment for my beloved TL. The question is... RL versus TL-S. I wish all choices in life were this great!

~ Steve
I drove a 2004 TL, loved the car and everything about it. But when the RL came out in 2005 I traded up, the first time I had ever held onto a new car for such a short time. It was a great choice for me and for the family. While there's something very sporty and fun about the TL, the RL has so much going for it. I have no regrets. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by Touge
csmeance, curious where did you see 7.3 ?. Most magazines (c&d, r&t, etc) I've read clock the RL at 6.4-6.9 secs 0-60. Also remember most magazines test a TL Type S w/ the manual. The auto model would be slower.

As for the RL vs TL. It's really not a fair comparison. The RL materials are much nicer and stuff that you can't see (eg forged aluminum suspension vs stamped steel on the TL) make a big difference imho. A big selling point for me was the RL is made in Japan vs the TL being made here.
I know that it wasn't in a published source, but I did read it somewhere... Touge, how fast does your RL run 0-60?