2006 RL Trans Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 RL Trans Problems

My 2006 RL is just over 3 weeks old, with 500 miles and the transmission has started having problems. Yesterday the car would stick in 1st gear and then suddenly pop and jump into 2nd after a delay. When slowing down, the same thing happens in reverse.

I was only a few miles away from the dealer and was able to carefully drive the car in for service. Have not heard back from them as to the problem or repair and they did not seem as if it was going to be an easy fix when I brought it in.

Anyone else have this issue? I traded my much loved 2005 TL in for the 2006 RL and I am having buyers remorse since my TL never had problems and made me more happy, for much less money.

Since it is in for service, I am having them install the iPod interface which no one at the dealer has yet to play with. They were nice enough to give me a discount and I told them I would be glad to give the sales guys a demo when installed and working.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:21 AM
9th Gear

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. My 05 Rl with 5K miles on it is currently having its transmission replaced. It is supposed to be ready sometime tomorrow, and after I drive it, I will update you on the repair. Believe me, I can relate to the buyers remorse.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:25 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I can provide a complete reverse account of the fact that my 2004 TL had more transmission issues than a developmentally challenged child.

The current (third-gen) TL has the same crappy transmission as the 2000-2003 TL (the 1999 had a 4-speed I believe), and it clearly has issues (replacements, oil-jet recall, hard shifts, etc.).

I just believe that Honda transmissions either can't handle the power of the engines or are poorly made...
Old 01-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Unhappy

I bought a 05 RL, traded in my 99 LS400, in perfect condition, I loved the technology, the great handling, but with only 1500 miles there was a whinning sound at 25 -35, and comes back at 75-80mph. I took it in first time, dealer states, no problems, other RL on the lots have the same problems that they "test" drove. I went home, but could not stand the high pitch noice after a day or so of driving, it had become a loud piercing noice, kind of a dripping tap water that gets on your nerve, and makes you want to check in to a mental hospita. So, anyways, the dealer replaced the transfer casing etc...parts are on back order, been over a week, they called me yesterday, the noice is still there, they are going to replace a cable, which is on back order and are not expecting to have it at there at their shop for approx a week or two! hence BUYERS REMORSE, I should have stayed with my LS.
I still love the RL, if they can "fix" it I will be happy, but who knows??
I don't know what my options are?, the service manager states that the dealer is not at fault, but the manufacturer it to blame, gave me the 800-382-2238 and I called yesterday, as from the other posts I have read, they will get back to me in 24-48hrs, but they said the dealer is the only one that can take care of me...i.e. taking the car back or getting another one with no "noise" issue. I am just bumped.... Has any one else reached to this point yet, about having the dealer take the car back or pursued this through an attorney?
thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jkanon
I bought a 05 RL, traded in my 99 LS400, in perfect condition, I loved the technology, the great handling, but with only 1500 miles there was a whinning sound at 25 -35, and comes back at 75-80mph. I took it in first time, dealer states, no problems, other RL on the lots have the same problems that they "test" drove. I went home, but could not stand the high pitch noice after a day or so of driving, it had become a loud piercing noice, kind of a dripping tap water that gets on your nerve, and makes you want to check in to a mental hospita. So, anyways, the dealer replaced the transfer casing etc...parts are on back order, been over a week, they called me yesterday, the noice is still there, they are going to replace a cable, which is on back order and are not expecting to have it at there at their shop for approx a week or two! hence BUYERS REMORSE, I should have stayed with my LS.
I still love the RL, if they can "fix" it I will be happy, but who knows??
I don't know what my options are?, the service manager states that the dealer is not at fault, but the manufacturer it to blame, gave me the 800-382-2238 and I called yesterday, as from the other posts I have read, they will get back to me in 24-48hrs, but they said the dealer is the only one that can take care of me...i.e. taking the car back or getting another one with no "noise" issue. I am just bumped.... Has any one else reached to this point yet, about having the dealer take the car back or pursued this through an attorney?
thanks
It would be nice if you could make the dealer replace it with another one, but I highly doubted.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Thanks, I hope something will be done about it.
I just got a call from the service depart. from the Escondido Acura, in North San Diego County, and they increased the time for the part that is on back order to an extra week. So to re cap, I have had the car for approx. 2wks, and it is going to spend more time at the dealer getting fixed than me driving.
I am going to be contacting the corporate as well as the Sales dept. to see what else can be done, at this point my confidence in the Acura RL is extremely low, and they have not done anything abou the transmission yet?
I am going to start a new thread to pursue the possibility of a class action law suit against Acura for their defective product....
Again, thanks for all your support. I will keep you updated.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:48 AM
DragVA/DCSpeed

Originally Posted by jkanon
Thanks, I hope something will be done about it.
I just got a call from the service depart. from the Escondido Acura, in North San Diego County, and they increased the time for the part that is on back order to an extra week. So to re cap, I have had the car for approx. 2wks, and it is going to spend more time at the dealer getting fixed than me driving.
I am going to be contacting the corporate as well as the Sales dept. to see what else can be done, at this point my confidence in the Acura RL is extremely low, and they have not done anything abou the transmission yet?
I am going to start a new thread to pursue the possibility of a class action law suit against Acura for their defective product....
Again, thanks for all your support. I will keep you updated.
Maybe you should actually speak to the actual manager of that particular dealership. From what I have experienced with Acura dealerships in my area they usually are all about helping the customer and making their life as easy as possible. As for transmissions problems on an 06 RL I really haven't heard to many. Actually this is my first. This is also part of the reason I joined this site too because I have been trying to justify going with an Acura RL instead of a 5 Series or a Mercedes. But comparing these cars you get so much more with the RL. Plus I like the lines on the car far better than anything out except the Audi A6. But having voice activaded everything feature on the RL is so much more becoming than the BMW's Idrive or Audi's copy cat which both suck.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Don't get me wrong, I love this car...the handling, the feed back, the styling. I have left messages for the appropriate persons...they should be getting back to me.
thanks
Old 01-20-2006, 09:32 AM
2nd Gear

I picked-up my RL last night and the transmission problem was a defective Clutch Presure Control Solenoid Valve. It was replaced and all seems fine now. At least it did not require any major repair/replacement like some of you other posters have had to deal with. Good luck with your transmission problems!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM
DragVA/DCSpeed

Originally Posted by cskuhn
I picked-up my RL last night and the transmission problem was a defective Clutch Presure Control Solenoid Valve. It was replaced and all seems fine now. At least it did not require any major repair/replacement like some of you other posters have had to deal with. Good luck with your transmission problems!
If you dont mind me asking what dealer did you go to for service?
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 AM
9th Gear

Finally got the call from the dealership on Friday, January 20th that my RL(05/5kmiles) was ready to go with its new transmission. I picked it up on Saturday and while I would love to report on its performance, I can't because it is back at the dealership after having driven 100 yards down the road. The car threw a radiator/coolant code which gave me the option of "checking it out now", or "checking it out later". Good thing I decided to turn around and go back, because the radiator fans weren't working. After running several diagnostic checks, I was told they would have to order new parts, etc. and it would be sometime this week before I got the car back. I am frustrated beyond belief. I knew when I stopped in one day to check on the transmission progress and saw the component disassembly necessary to make the repair, that it would never be put back the same way as it was when it left the factory, or that something else surely would go wrong. I understand that we are dealing with machines, and things can go wrong. It appears, however, from reading all these posts on this site about the Acura lineup, that their precision performance is not really all that precise.
Originally Posted by kjag69
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. My 05 Rl with 5K miles on it is currently having its transmission replaced. It is supposed to be ready sometime tomorrow, and after I drive it, I will update you on the repair. Believe me, I can relate to the buyers remorse.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kjag69
-that it would never be put back the same way as it was when it left the factory, or that something else surely would go wrong. I understand that we are dealing with machines, and things can go wrong. It appears, however, from reading all these posts on this site about the Acura lineup, that their precision performance is not really all that precise.

That has been my worry too. In a controlled environment such as the factory, putting the pieces together is one thing, it a dealership the chances of things going wrong I believe is multiplied many fold. I am sorry that you are going through this.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Undercover Slacker

kjag69- cant you claim that the car was a lemon and have the dealer buy it back? sorry, i lack knowledge about lemon laws and dealer buy backs, but just a suggestion. good luck.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:40 AM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by dalieu
kjag69- cant you claim that the car was a lemon and have the dealer buy it back? sorry, i lack knowledge about lemon laws and dealer buy backs, but just a suggestion. good luck.
It varies by state. California's version follows:

A special provision, often called the "Lemon Law," helps determine what is a reasonable number of repair attempts for problems that substantially impair the use, value, or safety of the vehicle. The "Lemon Law" applies to these problems if they arise during the first 18 months after the consumer received delivery of the vehicle or within the first 18,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first. During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the "Lemon Law" presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) The same problem results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven and the problem has been subject to repair two or more times by the manufacturer or its agents, and the buyer or lessee has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (2) The same problem has been subject to repair four or more times by the manufacturer or its agents and the buyer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for the repair of the problem as provided in the warranty or owner's manual or (3) The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.htm
Old 01-24-2006, 04:00 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by lindros2
The current (third-gen) TL has the same crappy transmission as the 2000-2003 TL (the 1999 had a 4-speed I believe), and it clearly has issues (replacements, oil-jet recall, hard shifts, etc.)

The new TL has a different transmission.