Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Jackzilla - I'll be taking it back in then
Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DavNyc3
I'm here right now and its gonna be 3 hours and I can't get a loaner cause I'm not 25 I was looking forward to driving something different for a few hours oh well
i've had the same problem cause i'm underage also, but now i just have my mom come with me, she signs for it and i bring it back they dont ask anything when i do.

glad eveyone is getting the free brake flush! ahaha. a hassle yes, but a free car wash also.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 AM
10th Gear

Hi everyone
I took my 2005 RL in to my dealer last Thursday in Carlsbad,CA. They only changed the seal kit. No brake flush . Brakes still soft. I am taking in back in this morning.
I have had soft brakes since I bought this car.
I think there is a Master Cylinder problem and should be changed,Any onee has this problem?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Took mine in yesterday and just got a call that it's ready. They just changed the seal as it wasn't leaking. They did say that even though they didn't change the master cylinder, the work did require a brake fluid flush (yeah!) which seems to conflict with the experience of what some folks have posted.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

Took my car back in after they replaced the seals. The head mechanic and I took it around the block .He couldn't duplicate the soft pedal. Took it in a dirt patch and checked the ABS. That was fine.However,I experience the softness when the car is driven after around 10 minutes or so . He then asked me whether the brake pedal goes flat coming to stop sign .IT does!!. Kept the car gave me an RDX loaner. Says that he will put a call in to Acura.
A honda mechanic friend of mine said it may be the Master Cylinder. Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:17 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Got the car back. No pedal issues. Going off-topic, but I was in amazement again when they came back and told me my brake pads are fine. I have 77K miles on the original pads.

I do love this car.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Legendliving
Just had my recall work done. I presume it was just the seal. When I picked it up I was told that the brakes would feel different but that they had tested them and they worked as they should. They do feel very different. I now have to press the pedal much further. This has not been reported by anyone else on the forum apart from on the "rant" thread. Do you think I should be concerned?
I think, you certanly should. Take it back and tell them.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:03 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Brakes flushed

I had to take the RL back after they did the recall work. I noticed right away that the brakes were soft and you had push the pedal deep to get to a safe stop. After a few days of driving it, I didn't feel safe anymore and after the ramblings here, I took it back.

The invoice said brakes flushed and bled. Parts were brake fluids.

The brakes are good now. I guess back to it's original state.

So if you are doing the recall, make sure they do everything right.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Forgot to post this....Had my recall done first week of '11 at Prime Acura in Walpole, MA

To start with, I was first in line at the dealership in the morning but not first waited on.:silvermad Then, I got a TL-Tech as a loaner, which was fine because I wanted to try one out, but the guy who got waited on ahead of me, who had an older TL, got a Black ZDX!!! :angryfire I brought this up to the loaner person, and she said the guy was thinking about buying a ZDX and had called in ahead to reserve one.(noted for future reference)

I asked how long the recall service would take, and they said it depended on how much work they had to do...knowing I've never used aftermarket fluid, I asked how long if just a seal replacement...they said an hour or so. I told them I wanted my car back before the lunch hour...SA said no problem at all.

Drove off the lot at 0720, got a call at 0915 saying, "We've just finished the recall service and before we "button up" the car, we wanted to let you know our records show you need";

Coolant flush
Both Diff fluid change.
Brake Fluid flush

"which we will be happy to do for $$$".

I said, "No thank you, just call me when the car is ready, and remember I want it before 1130". This means they have 2+ hours to "button up" and wash it.

At 1130 still no call so I call them...I get, "you're in the wash line, should be ready in 45 minutes" WTF?!? I said, "I'm coming now, will be there in 5 minutes(I work <1 mile away) pull it off the wash line", and hangup not waiting for a response. When I get the 20 minutes later(took some time to cool off) my car was ready, and washed(but not vacuumed very well)

Once again they tried to upsell me with the fluids, to whuich I replied, "Why should I pay for a brake flush when you just did it for free"?

If I provided this kind of service to my customers I'd be out of a job.

Last edited by lumpulus; 01-17-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by lumpulus
Forgot to post this....Had my recall done first week of '11 at Prime Acura in Walpole, MA

To start with, I was first in line at the dealership in the morning but not first waited on.:silvermad Then, I got a TL-Tech as a loaner, which was fine because I wanted to try one out, but the guy who got waited on ahead of me, who had an older TL, got a Black ZDX!!! :angryfire I brought this up to the loaner person, and she said the guy was thinking about buying a ZDX and had called in ahead to reserve one.(noted for future reference)

I asked how long the recall service would take, and they said it depended on how much work they had to do...knowing I've never used aftermarket fluid, I asked how long if just a seal replacement...they said an hour or so. I told them I wanted my car back before the lunch hour...SA said no problem at all.

Drove off the lot at 0720, got a call at 0915 saying, "We've just finished the recall service and before we "button up" the car, we wanted to let you know our records show you need";

Coolant flush
Both Diff fluid change.
Brake Fluid flush

"which we will be happy to do for $$$".

I said, "No thank you, just call me when the car is ready, and remember I want it before 1130". This means they have 2+ hours to "button up" and wash it.

At 1130 still no call so I call them...I get, "you're in the wash line, should be ready in 45 minutes" WTF?!? I said, "I'm coming now, will be there in 5 minutes(I work <1 mile away) pull it off the wash line", and hangup not waiting for a response. When I get the 20 minutes later(took some time to cool off) my car was ready, and washed(but not vacuumed very well)

Once again they tried to upsell me with the fluids, to whuich I replied, "Why should I pay for a brake flush when you just did it for free"?

If I provided this kind of service to my customers I'd be out of a job.
Why is that shocking in any way? Prime = Clair. They can change the name but it's still the same lousy dealership.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by dwboston
Why is that shocking in any way? Prime = Clair. They can change the name but it's still the same lousy dealership.
Not really true....Clair is now First Acura in Seekonk, but you're right about Prime still being a lousy dealership...problem is I'm so close it's too convenient.

There aren't really any good Acura Dealers in New England, are there? Noth Hampton Acura in NH used to be pretty good, but that's a two hour drive for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Not really true....Clair is now First Acura in Seekonk, but you're right about Prime still being a lousy dealership...problem is I'm so close it's too convenient.

There aren't really any good Acura Dealers in New England, are there? Noth Hampton Acura in NH used to be pretty good, but that's a two hour drive for me.
I don't mind Acura of Auburn. They're pretty decent for service.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
North Hampton Acura in NH used to be pretty good, but that's a two hour drive for me.
Still is "pretty good".

Had my recall done last week. Drop off and pick up time was less than 5 minutes total. They gave me a brand new ZDX to drive, and on top of washing and vacuuming the car, which they normally do, this time they removed and washed all the mats. I also appreciated that they didn't try to sell me any additional services.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Alpha Geek

NH is better than MA for oh so many reasons....
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 AM
2005 RL black on black

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my recall done last yesterday at Precision Acura NJ. Dropped my car off at 7am and picked up time at 3pm. They gave me a TSX as a loaner lil 4banger moves but its no RL. They did a courtesy car wash and it was nice and clean, too bad it snowed today...
I told the tech ahead of time that people were complaining on the forums for not bleeding brakes and not doing recall correctly. So he was aware what i wanted and asked about the flush. They changed the seal/o-ring and flushed out the old fluid and bled the lines. Tested everything before i left...A+ service..No hassle here.. $0 out of pocket..
Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recall ok, but no flush.

Took my '05 in for the recall. Service mgr very cordial, but said definitely no new brake fluid without paying for a flush ($210, roughly). Said very little credit toward a fluid change with this recall. They replaced the oring and just filled the master cylinder and bled the lines out.

Guess I still need to change the brake fluid at 42,000 as per manual. I thought I might get new fluid, but no such luck!

Acurod
Old 01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jerztl
Had my recall done last yesterday at Precision Acura NJ. Dropped my car off at 7am and picked up time at 3pm. They gave me a TSX as a loaner lil 4banger moves but its no RL. They did a courtesy car wash and it was nice and clean, too bad it snowed today...
I told the tech ahead of time that people were complaining on the forums for not bleeding brakes and not doing recall correctly. So he was aware what i wanted and asked about the flush. They changed the seal/o-ring and flushed out the old fluid and bled the lines. Tested everything before i left...A+ service..No hassle here.. $0 out of pocket..
That's where I got mine done, service dept there is top notch! Was the TSX loaner white? that's the one I had. Great gas mileage, but you are right, it's no RL. I don't let them or any dealership wash the car, it will come back with lots of swirls.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Cruisin'

A+ service from Mcgrath Acura in Chicago suburbs. I went in today to do the recall with my usual service advisor and they did a brake flush, feels tighter now. On top of that they vacuumed and cleaned my interior without me telling them to. Loaner was a TSX.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM
6th Gear

Unhappy Got Mine Done BUT

I had mine done by:
Southern Motors Acura
Savannah, GA

The Invoice details are:

A Master Cylinder Safety Recall
CAUSE: Brake Recall
4131Q8 Master Cylinder Safety Recall
898 WA40 N/C
2 08798-9008A Fluid, Brake (Dot 3) N/C
1 06462-SJA-305 Set, Master Cyln. Cup N/C

FC: Recall
Part#: 06462-SJA-305

And they did a "Complimentary Car Wash and Interior Vacuum for Valued Customers."

The Job took just over 2 hours during which I walked down the street to check out the latest Acura models (including a 2011 RL which did not impress me). I also asked about re-design of the RL and the Sales Manager seemed to think it might come in 2013.

So it appears that they only replaced the cups (set) and not the Master Cylinder. There is no mention on the invoice that any bleeding was done which I believe is true because it now requires both feet pressed as hard as I can to accomplish a panic stop and the pedal is quite spongy and can be pumped up but still requires both feet.

Southern is going to have a second look at this and give me some kind of loaner while they try to rectify the problem.

My advice.. Insist on assurance that bleeding was done and take it for a road-test before signing off on the invoice..

Good Luck,
Grelber