Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
got mine today

Old 12-28-2010, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2006 RL was one of the first in New England to have the recall work completed. After two days of labor, they replaced the master cylinder. The work was clean and everything works great.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ, wjhall273. Good taste in cars as well. Thanks for your report. Two days of labor?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I got my recall letter yesterday too. I have an appointment for the 31st to do the brake recall and fix my rear sunshade rattle (3rd time - new dealership). I asked for a loaner, so hopefully they take good care of me.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer, Rallye Acura, said they have to order the parts and they will contact me when the parts come in-- no idea when that will be!! This after I called them 2 weeks ago and they told me to wait until I got the recall letter and then they would have the parts in. Oh well, guess that's how some dealerships operate. Overall I am very satisfied with Rallye though.

Acurod
2005 RL
Old 12-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Received my letter today and called for an appointment. The service rep said it's about 3 hours of labor to replace the seal. Must be a tough part to get to.

This place has decent loaners so I'll get to drive something different for a few hours and reaffirm the appreciation for my RL .
Old 12-28-2010, 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

Just got mine today. I'm looking forward to driving a loaner for a day or two.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Got my letter today as well. I'll probably wait a week or two to call the dealer since I'm at 30% oil life and it makes sense to take care of both at the same time.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
The recall notice I got yesterday said something about a brake light staying on. Must be from low brake fluid. Now I have to figure out how to get the car to a dealer so they can perform the warranty work. Scheduling is a pain this time of year and I go back to work on the 4th. UGH!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, got mine yesterday too. Anyone else ignoring this until an actual problem (ie, low fluid light) presents itself? Also, I use OEM fluids, so is my car still at risk?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 PM
RL User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I got my notice today too and called the dealer to schedule the work. They indicated it was simply to replace a cap and would take approx 15 minutes to complete?

I've had all the work done at the dealership, so no warning light, etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
the actual recall is that low polymer brake fluids have damaged some Acuras and the fix is to replace a seal and/or the master cylinder. If you have always had Acura/Honda brake fluid then it is probably just the seal. If you have used other brake fluids it may be more involved. The warning light could come from low pressure or low fluid from what I read. Regardless, when you get the letter get your car in. We scheduled the fix today.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by merlin the wrench
the actual recall is that low polymer brake fluids have damaged some Acuras and the fix is to replace a seal and/or the master cylinder. If you have always had Acura/Honda brake fluid then it is probably just the seal. If you have used other brake fluids it may be more involved. The warning light could come from low pressure or low fluid from what I read. Regardless, when you get the letter get your car in. We scheduled the fix today.
Please expound on the low polymer fluid, what do you mean by this? Would you mean DOT 3 fluid? I always use DOT 4 fluid, but in the Alfa's it is either Castrol LMA DOT 4 or ATE Blue. What about Motul racing fluid? Is there something special about Honda brake fluid that I am missing here?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
I read my recall letter this morning. Any one from Maryland trust taking their RL to Rosenthal Acura for this type if work. I've heard stories dealers not performing the work and charging Acura for the service.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Well, took my car in today...

- Made an appointment in advance, showed up 30 mins early
- Checked in and took the shuttle to work
- Didn't hear anything all day (which is typical) so I called them at 1530 and was told: "We haven't started your car, Acura really doesn't pay enough hours for the work and the techs wont take it"

Needless to say I leave early and head down there to tell them I don't trust their techs working on my car since they clearly "don't want to do it" and to give it back to me.

After 20 mins, the service manager talked me off the ledge and gave me a '10 tech TL AWD as a loaner and guaranteed he would ensure it was done tomorrow.

As I'm walking out to the loaner, the service writer tells me that they up sell a fluid flush so they can convince the techs to do the work.

I make eye contact, shake my head, and walk away.

I love my car but hate the company.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Missing my

Maybe I'll take mine in then... I hate having them touch the car if it isn't posing an immediate threat, but it sounds like you guys may be saying that it is.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dwboston
Got my letter today as well. I'll probably wait a week or two to call the dealer since I'm at 30% oil life and it makes sense to take care of both at the same time.
Must be doing Massachusetts owners now...I got mine as well...getting done next week.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
Well, took my car in today...

- Made an appointment in advance, showed up 30 mins early
- Checked in and took the shuttle to work
- Didn't hear anything all day (which is typical) so I called them at 1530 and was told: "We haven't started your car, Acura really doesn't pay enough hours for the work and the techs wont take it"

Needless to say I leave early and head down there to tell them I don't trust their techs working on my car since they clearly "don't want to do it" and to give it back to me.

After 20 mins, the service manager talked me off the ledge and gave me a '10 tech TL AWD as a loaner and guaranteed he would ensure it was done tomorrow.

As I'm walking out to the loaner, the service writer tells me that they up sell a fluid flush so they can convince the techs to do the work.

I make eye contact, shake my head, and walk away.

I love my car but hate the company.
The techs don't make any money on recalls. Time is money to a tech.They are paid flag time, so if it takes them longer to do the job that the factory says, they lose money. I have been a mechanic a several dealerships, so I know what needs to be done. Sure, we don't make a lot of money, but I look at it this way, warranty work is better than "no work" and you sit on your tool box waiting for a job.

In recalls, the dealership must do the work as no one else will be qualified, just in case something arises later from the work done.

It comes down to either they lose work by you going to another dealership, or they assign the job to the tech and he does the work because he has to. The service writer can assign a tech to the job, but it is the service managers job to make sure someone does the work and satisfactory.

If the dealership is not going to do the work, and inconvenience you for your lost time, I think I would be calling the local area Acura factory rep and complain loudly, have a talk to the service manager/general manager at one time, or the dealership owner. To many complaints, they could lose their Acura dealership, or refusal from the factory to pay for any warranty work.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Intermediate

Just had my recall done by Fountain Acura here in Orlando and it was hassle free. They gave me a 2010 TSX as a rental for the day....fun to drive but feels like an civic. Didnt have any problems with the brakes to begin with but I have a piece of mind now that I am safe
Old 12-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Had brakes fixed under recall today. Installed master cylinder repair kit and brakes were bled.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by alfadoctor
Please expound on the low polymer fluid, what do you mean by this? Would you mean DOT 3 fluid? I always use DOT 4 fluid, but in the Alfa's it is either Castrol LMA DOT 4 or ATE Blue. What about Motul racing fluid? Is there something special about Honda brake fluid that I am missing here?
The way I read it, was that non honda fluid did not lubricate as well. If that was used AND brakes were bled the old school way ( full pedal stroke with bleeders open) as opposed to applying vacuum, the seal may become dislodged and the fluid may leak around it (think blow-by) causing the low fluid light to come on.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Today, Acura Customer Care says that the letters will start to go out toward the end of the month. They are still packaging parts and distributing them to the dealers. They want to have the parts at the dealer before they send the letter out.
Just got mine today. Looks like Acura Customer Care actually was on the ball with this.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Got my letter in the mail today also..... I will be setting up an appointment for sometime next week
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ditto
Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Missing my

I really wish I had gotten the letter one week earlier. I had my brake lines flushed last weekend.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Racer

included with the letter is a request for reimbursement for repair of problem. It might be worth sending in to try and get some partial reimbursement even though the flush is considered normal maintainence
Old 12-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Missing my

Originally Posted by kssod
included with the letter is a request for reimbursement for repair of problem. It might be worth sending in to try and get some partial reimbursement even though the flush is considered normal maintainence
Worth a shot! Thanks!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tnobori1
I really wish I had gotten the letter one week earlier. I had my brake lines flushed last weekend.
I feel your pain. Got my fluid flushed in September, about three years after I had non Honda fluid put in, and just before the recall was announced in October. When I took the car to the track, one of the stipulations was a safety check and new brake fluid. The exchange was done at an independent shop that works with the local BMW club that was hosting the event. I have not to date noticed any leaking brake fluid, but I guess we will see when I do the recall.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Acura is not going to reimburse you for a brake flush/bleed that you did UNLESS it caused a leak in the master cylinder. Don't waste your time trying to get reimbursed for just a flush.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:59 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

getting my RL back...

I'm getting my RL back. I've been driving an RDX loaner and I can't wait to get my car back. The windnoise on this particular RDX is annoying and the stiff ride will make you bounce all over the place. Too bad, the size of the RDX is perfect for my wife.

Back to the RL...

They did the recall work. I'm pretty sure they did NOT relace the master cylinder. When I get the invoice, I will report back what got replaced.

I complained about the whining/whiring noise at 35 mph. They replaced the propeller shaft. They tapped in to my acuracare extended warranty for the work. I was told it is all covered.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
My invoice states, INSTALLED MASTER CYLINDER REPAIR KIT & BLEED THE BRAKES. So i guess they didnt replace my master cylinder.

On the good side a free brake flush.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Instructor

I scheduled my recall service earlier today and was provided a loaner car (a Silver 2011 TL AWD w/ Tech Package; car was great but I love my RL a lot better). The Service Department did a vehicle inspection and conducted the recall on brake booster. They set the master cylinder and brake fluid flush. So far and I am pleased on how fast they did this.

Last edited by DandyG23; 01-05-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm here right now and its gonna be 3 hours and I can't get a loaner cause I'm not 25 I was looking forward to driving something different for a few hours oh well
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Instructor

read my post titled "rant" this recall has caused headaches for me. They did repair didnt flush lines. its been a true nightmare
Old 01-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Michigan Wolverines Fan

I got my recall work done yesterday. The dealer was awesome, Mac Churchill in Fort Worth, TX. However, they did try to upsell me $910 of "additional service needed" including $50 for replacing the bulb under the heated seats button... ugh.

Only real disappointment was driving the new 2011 ZDX, so let me be clear...

I HATE THIS THING... I WON'T EVEN CALL IT A CAR... IT IS HORRIBLE... 5'6" GUY I WORK WITH HIT HIS HEAD SITTING IN THE BACK SEAT!

Give me back my RL and get me something real nice this year for a FMC or I will just keep driving my car! Or get a CTS-V like Neuron
Old 01-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Got mine done today. Invoice said "INSTALL THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER REPAIR KIT" and "BRAKE (DOT 3) FLUID".

So I got new brake fluid instead of just bleeding them. All seems to be okay.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I did mine last week, had my oil change done at the same time. No problems, went smooth. I did have a 2011 TSX overnight with 311 miles on it, that was pretty nice actually
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Intermediate

Just had my recall work done. I presume it was just the seal. When I picked it up I was told that the brakes would feel different but that they had tested them and they worked as they should. They do feel very different. I now have to press the pedal much further. This has not been reported by anyone else on the forum apart from on the "rant" thread. Do you think I should be concerned?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Legendliving: Yes, you should be concerned. The pedal being lower means the brakes were not bled correctly (completely removing all air). I had the same experience with a somewhat lower than normal pedal and returned to the dealer immediately to complain the brakes were not right -- I live 85 miles from the nearest Acura dealership and did not want to make a second round trip for their lousy work. After the second bleeding the pedal was again normal - same a before.

The bleeding should be simple since only the line(s) between the master cylinder and the ABS controller are opened and need bleeding - something done right in the engine compartment. Apparently some dealers try to get away with not doing a thorough job because Acura's reimbursement for the recall doesn't fully cover their time.

I learned that the wheel calipers are not bled as part of this process while rotating my tires a few days after the service. The bleeder valves on the calipers had never been touched - the yellow factory markings on the caps had never been disturbed, so the caps had never been removed. Not having to even bleed the brake calipers makes the sloppy workmanship all the less excusable.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jackzilla
The bleeding should be simple since only the line(s) between the master cylinder and the ABS controller are opened and need bleeding - something done right in the engine compartment....
That is a really interesting piece of information. Thanks Jack!

Quick Reply: 05-07 RL Recall issued today--Brakes