Rdx 2016 tpms

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rdx 2016 tpms

Hi,

I've been lurking around these forums ever since I got my RDX Tech 2016 (Canada) in July. Thanks to all who contribute and provide great information.

I have a rookie question. It's that time of the year when I need to start looking for winter tires. I have a question regarding the TPMS. I plan to purchase winter tires online possibly pre-mounted on rims with TPMS sensors. If I do, will the new TPMS sensors automatically work on the car or do I need to bring it to the dealer to get it programmed?

If I need to get it programmed, does that mean that when I change the tires back to my all-seasons, I would need the dealer to reprogram the car to detect the sensors of the all-season tires?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
I have already purchased my winter tires and aluminum rims as a discounted package deal at the dealership. The parts manager assured me that the TPMS system does not require programming like my previous Toyota RAV 4 needed.

As long as the replacement sensors are compatible with the OEM sensors, the system will automatically connect with them.

This is also an important feature even if you rotate your existing tires to another location on the vehicle. The system will automatically know which position each tire is in.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
My experience with honda/acura products with TPMS is this - if you have a display that shows the actual PSI of each tire, then it will automatically detect the compatible TPMS sensor (after driving about a 1/2 mile or so). If it's a hidden TPMS system (meaning it just has a dummy light if it detects one sensor out of whack) they tend to need to be programmed. My son's '12 Civic had this, and every time I put on the winter rims/snows/tpms sensors I had to have the local shop re-program the sensors. Real Pain. But the RDX, my former MDX, and the wife's TL all have self-programming sensors, which makes things much easier.

andy
Old 10-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am about to purchase a set of winter tires without TPMS sensors. However, my question is: where does the TPMS alert come on on the dashboard? Will it come on the MID? If so, can I take the alert off by hitting the Info button on the steering wheel, much like the low-gas alert? With the low-gas, you get the alert on the MID when you start the car but then hitting Info will take it away. I want to be able to see other information (such as the compass) on the MID and would hate to see the TPMS alert on it constantly, throughout the winter.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:34 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
You can purchase TPMS sometimes for $25-$35 each on-line.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:37 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by kmawani
I am about to purchase a set of winter tires without TPMS sensors. However, my question is: where does the TPMS alert come on on the dashboard? Will it come on the MID? If so, can I take the alert off by hitting the Info button on the steering wheel, much like the low-gas alert? With the low-gas, you get the alert on the MID when you start the car but then hitting Info will take it away. I want to be able to see other information (such as the compass) on the MID and would hate to see the TPMS alert on it constantly, throughout the winter.

Thanks in advance.
If you don't run TPMS sensors the mid is going to have an alert. Yes you can divert it but the information "I" will stay lit up until the vehicle recognizes the sensors. I don't think we have a separate TPMS light like my brothers 2014 Honda Fit. My advice, get the sensors. $150-200 is still worth it to monitor tire pressure.

Also there are two types of sensors. Oem replacements which are not compatible with all makes and models but learn on their is after a short drive. My 2014 TL can only use the original set or the ZDX set. Then there's the aftermarket which need to be programmed.

Last edited by carbonTSEX; 10-24-2015 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks carbon.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I purchased a set of mint 2014 Accord rims for my winters with tpms sensors already in them. Two things, the offset is a little different and they run awfully close to the suspension so there's a bit of a red flag and secondly, the tpms seemed to work properly at first but upon driving, the error came up as problem with the system and none of them are registering. My guess is the sensors are not "self programming" but the system is perhaps?
Old 11-26-2015, 10:35 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
First off. The accord rim specs most likely have a different offset. Most likely higher then the RDX hence being close to the factory suspension. Secondly not all oem sensors are compatible. Their are certain vehicles that may run the same TPMS. For example: my 2014 TL only shares TPMS with the ZDX and no other model.