Transmission service

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 06:49 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Transmission service

Here is one very important thing you all need to know.
I have had several different vehicles with transmission problems after being serviced So I looked into this very thoroughly and found that when you drain transmissions you are only draining half of the fluid out as the torque converter still has old fluid in it After watching motor week one day cause his garage showed how a transmission should be serviced with the BG machine I can send the article to anyone that’s interested this is very important to do it right
Old 02-26-2021, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 410 Likes on 250 Posts
Yup, did my girlfriend's car twice this past summer with a long drive between changes.

I doubt I will go this route, but it is one way to get all the old fluid out. In our case on the RDX, the automatic transmission filter is external.

Old 03-01-2021, 05:29 PM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
We own a 2003 Toyota sequoia that I changed the fluid out via the front rad cooler. Took 16 qts of Max Life Syn to get it all out of there. Had 110,000 miles on her and the fluid had no look of red about it , but was cherry afterwards and shifted like new afterwards. Just gave that vehicle to our Son and they will tow their camper with it . The RDX was drained and refilled with the BG machine last year. I will do it again when I have the timing belt changed in about 10,000 miles along with then taking it to the dealer for the new software
to be clocked into the trans computer .. I'm thinking of adding a trans cooler to the front of the car , to help keep the fluid cool and to also be able to change the fluid more easily .
Old 03-03-2021, 03:19 PM
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 113 Posts
Here is a very important thing you need to know about Honda/Acura transmissions:
DO NOT EVER USE A MACHINE to change the fluid!!!!

Unlike every other automatic out there, a Honda has a drain plug and fill hole. (although most folks refill through the dipstick)

Doing a normal drain & fill on a Honda trans like ours replaces approximately 1/3 of the fluid. That is considered normal maintenance.
Honda used to call for this every 45k (and still does on the RDX?) but now sets the fluid change code around 30k (code 3)
Folks like me, who have had some of the other Honda V-6 drivetrains have adopted an every other oil change interval (15k using the mileage based 7500k oil change interval from before the oil life algorithm)

The transmission service bulletin calls for changing the fluid three times with simulated driving in between. And the important software update. Having had that update, I can tell you it is completely worth it.
A big difference in the driving experience. One could, if unable to get the dealer to perform the full TSB 17-017 just pay them for a normal drain & fill and beg for the software to be updated.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-017.PDF

Then you can go ahead and do a couple more drain & fills on subsequent weekends to substantially replace all the fluid. You must actually drive in between between changes. Running in the driveway or going around the
block will not do it. The trans must go through all the gears and the torque converter must lock up.

Disconnecting a cooler line may make you feel like you are changing the fluid, but you are just recirculating the fresh fluid (and dumping) the fluid you just put in.

Don't forget a fresh crush washer. And don't forget to do normal maintenance going forward. The 3X replacement is to solve an issue, not a permanent fix. Also, there are only about three compatible fluids.
OEM, Maxlife, and another mostly sold to independent shops. Analysis has shown that the OEM has more zinc for some reason.

Honda automatics are not like any other, here is why:

https://global.honda/heritage/episod...ondamatic.html

Old 03-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by egads
Honda automatics are not like any other, here is why...
Without having to read the whole thing, what advantages does a Honda automatic have over those of other manufacturers?

In other words, if they are not like any other, why change things unless there is something to gain?
Old 03-03-2021, 09:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Egads has it right. In my old 99 TL I would do a 3x3 fluid change.
1) Drain, refill with 3 quarts
2) Drive 15-20 mins, manually going through each gear multiple times.
Repeat steps 1 & 2 3 times
Old 03-03-2021, 11:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tech
Without having to read the whole thing, what advantages does a Honda automatic have over those of other manufacturers?

In other words, if they are not like any other, why change things unless there is something to gain?

I never said there was an advantage and neither does the linked history lesson. Here is the cliff notes for those too lazy or disinterested to read:

Honda needed an automatic trans to be competitive in the US market. Borg Warner controls, the main developer of automatic transmission stuff, told them to forget it,
they were never going to be a big enough player for them to play ball with. Unable to make a deal on patent rights, Honda went it alone.

By the way, I remember the 4 & 5 speed stick shift Civics and Accords I had in the mid 70s & early 80s needing fresh fluid. Every 50k? Maybe every 60k
Old 03-04-2021, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by egads
By the way, I remember the 4 & 5 speed stick shift Civics and Accords I had in the mid 70s & early 80s needing fresh fluid. Every 50k? Maybe every 60k
Exactly, so why ever 2 oil changes on an Acura. That is utterly ridiculous even at Acura's recommended intervals on the display. Might as well own a Ferrari.

There is nothing in an automatic transmission that would cause the fluid to age other than over-heating. There is no combustion, etc.

Anyway, just last week I thought about how well my RDX transmission shifts considering all I have read here. Mind you, I'll also let you know when I have 180,000 miles on it, but that shouldn't be an issue since I tend to over-maintain my vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
DUCRDX (03-06-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:43 AM
Pro

The full 3X fluid change on this transmission is because it has been overheated. The software update addresses that. Once you are refreshed, then normal maintenance should
still be done. That is every 45k or each sixth oil change. I doubt the RDX will need the more frequent schedule myself and others with larger heavier versions of this drivetrain need.
Our RDX is my wife's and has barely been driven since we bought it used a couple of years ago. I drive an Odyssey that I use as a truck. More frequent fluid changes are wise on that.
It has a 30k interval, or every fourth oil change. The problem arises when folks who are new to Honda do not have trans fluid changes on their radar. Remember, even a doing the 45k
maintenance only replaces 1/3 of the fluid. Using that schedule you would be at 135k before a full fluid change was done. Hardly overdoing it.

If you want to over maintain a Honda, change the trans fluid, the oil will be fine until 15%. Especially using the specified full synthetic.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

From a couple of years ago...