Shuttle drivers and keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:29 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shuttle drivers and keyless entry

I hate to make my first post a rant but .......
I have a new to me 2015 RDX, seemed like a nice upgrade to a Subaru or CRV. Better sound system, quieter ride, nice interior, AWD, etc. What's not to like?
Well ...
I'm not dead yet and do a lot of kayaking and mountain biking. Often you start in one place and pay a shuttle driver to drive your car to the take out or end of the trail using your spare key. He throws the key under the seat, locks the door and heads out. Not! You can not lock this car with a key in the car, or anywhere close to the car or in a metal can in the car. There is no way to defeat this (as some makes have) and it is just a royal pain.
The first time the car was just left open, now I have to coach the shuttle driver on how to take apart the key fob and remove the battery before he locks the car and leaves. There are so many ways that this problem could have been avoided but there is the possibility that the car is not intended for an active outdoor lifestyle.
I have to say that it is a major risk item and really detracts from the enjoyment of the car.
Does anyone have a better solution or work around? Or did I just buy the wrong car?
Thanx
Ron
Old 09-11-2016, 06:50 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Tell him (or her) to lock the car and leave the key on top of one of the tires, or buy a magnetic key box to hide in a pre-determined location. I can tell you from experience, you can lock your key fob in an Audi and that is a pain in the ass unless you have access to the spare key fob.
The following users liked this post:
NBP04TL4ME (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 07:47 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
^^^ I was going to suggest the same. Maybe instead of on top of one of the tires, under the car behind (toward the center of the car) one of the tires.
its a lockout prevention feature working as designed.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Why not just keep the key yourself, the shuttle guy can still drive the car without the key once he stops and shuts it off he can't sart it because he has no key. He can lock the doors from inside and dose the door. Or you can just get one of the RF blocking cases on Amazon and have the shuttle guy put the key inside, the car won't be able to detect it.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had same problem. Wrapped key in several layers of aluminum foil,, problem solved. I do this when I travel and keep spare key in over its bag !

Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 AM
8th Gear

Thanx for all the replies.
How many layers did you use? 2 layers and a metal Altoids box didn't work for me.
At typical spots where a shuttle car would be parked there are many folks who know the on top of or near tire trick. I've seen people looking for those situations. It really is best to leave the key in the car.
The best solution was to leave instructions for the shuttle drive on how to remove the battery from the key fob.

Sad for the car that is supposed to support your outside activities. It could be easy to code a "defeat" into the info /setup system.

Ron
Old 09-19-2016, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can try to get one of those RF shield pouches, something like this https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cel.../dp/B010NPOH3C
Not sure if it works for the car key.

Last edited by CrimsonElan; 09-19-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Amazon has many products for key fobs,
https://www.amazon.com/Keyfob-RFID-S.../dp/B00Y3FLYWG
Old 10-11-2016, 12:26 PM
8th Gear

I did not try the bag on Amazon. Has anyone used it with success?

To summarize this post.
The goal was to give a shuttle driver a key to drive my RDX to the end of a kayak run (a location I have not visited). Once there to leave the key in the car, lock the door and leave. The next day, when I get there, open the car with the other key, load and go.

The problem is that I could find no way to lock the car with a key fob inside, under or near the car. There is no way to identify a remote location, it might be found, or I might not find it and if it rains for a couple of days it might be destroyed. I tried tin foil, a metal can and tin foil inside a metal can and all the methods mentioned above. Thanx for all the suggestions in the link, I tried them all. The only method that worked was to provide instructions on how to remove the key fob battery and leave the parts under the seat. Sad for a higher end SUV, it would have been so easy to have the option to turn off keyless entry and require the use of the key.

I'm not a fan of keyless entry. Solves no real problem, provides another way to break into or steal your vehicle, is very expensive to replace and leaves you constantly looking for your fob/key since now it might be in your pocket, the cup holder, on the floor, in the back or in the console depending on what you had in your hands when you got into the car. I hope this fad goes away. It will be a negative in my next car purchase.
Thanx
Ron
Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron206
I'm not a fan of keyless entry. Solves no real problem, provides another way to break into or steal your vehicle, is very expensive to replace and leaves you constantly looking for your fob/key since now it might be in your pocket, the cup holder, on the floor, in the back or in the console depending on what you had in your hands when you got into the car. I hope this fad goes away. It will be a negative in my next car purchase.
Sorry it's not working for you, Ron, but there are real advantages to keyless entry. For one thing, I don't have to fumble for a key to get into the car. I use the apparently unique approach of always having the FOB in my pocket, carrying it with me when I leave, etc. Then when I get back to the car, the FOB is...in my pocket! I get in, push a button to start the car, and drive off. It's THAT easy!
The following users liked this post:
RenoTL (10-11-2016)