Rear shocks going bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Universal Traveler
The service dept told me that they had a problem with the first lot #'s for the '13 rdx and they have built new ones. So they replaced mine with the new lot #'s. I bought the car in Salt Lake City where the roads were pretty good. I started hearing a rattling noise from the rear at about 1000 miles. Took it in for them to look into it and they said they found no problems. I then moved to Wisconsin around 4500 miles on the car. Thats when I started having problems with the car bottoming out over potholes and bumps in the road. I suspected the early rattling was associated with the now bottoming out. I'm glad I took it back as the problem is now resolved, hopefully.
My Serv. Director called the Serv. Mgr. at Zimbrick Acura in Middleton, Wisconsin at my request. He was told that what you had posted is NOT true. There have been no changes to the rear shocks during the build cycle. So...that's what I was just told. He just emailed me and told me he had called Zimbrick to find out what was going on with the shocks.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I just got off the phone with Acura Canada. It looks like there have been enough complaints for this to warrant their attention. They were short on specifics but Honda engineering is working on a repair that is not too far off from being released.
I currently have a case against Acura through the NCDS. The hearing is on April 10 and i would gladly use some evidence against them to prove the clunk is abnormal. Could you possibly email me any evidence Acura Canada may have emailed you?
Thanks
Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Patels1995
I currently have a case against Acura through the NCDS. The hearing is on April 10 and i would gladly use some evidence against them to prove the clunk is abnormal. Could you possibly email me any evidence Acura Canada may have emailed you?
Thanks
Sorry but I cant help you out with that. The information I received is based on a phone conversation with Acura Canada.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Right rear shock being replaced at 8000 miles

Just an FYI.

My RDX was making just a slight thumping sound when I hit any rough roads so while it was at the dealer for a slight warped rotor this morning they verified that my left rear shock needed to be replaced.

He mentioned that this is the second one he has done.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lanman
Just an FYI.

My RDX was making just a slight thumping sound when I hit any rough roads so while it was at the dealer for a slight warped rotor this morning they verified that my left rear shock needed to be replaced.

Shock replaced with how many miles on the RDX? Interesting that you live in San Diego and are experiencing the thumping noise in warm climates as well.
The following users liked this post:
Lanman (03-28-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Advanced

I put 8000 miles in the subject line but I was wrong it is actually 9080.

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Shock replaced with how many miles on the RDX? Interesting that you live in San Diego and are experiencing the thumping noise in warm climates as well.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Racer

I put 8000 miles in the subject line but I was wrong it is actually 9080.
Got it, didn't see that.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The dealer just replaced my rear driverside strut. It was making a rattling noise after going over bumps. I started hearing the noise after about 5000miles. Hopefully the other struts dont give out too.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Instructor

I should also mention the service guy at my dealer said that he's had three or four new RDX's come in with rear shock problems. He said they were all on the rear driver side. So be mindful.

I was also told when they took the strut off the car it just fell apart and started leaking.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced

Good to know that it might only be the rear drivers side shock/strut.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone here heard of any shock problems other than the drivers side rear?
2. Is it safe to say that the drivers side rear shocks/struts are different from the rest and the problem could truly be isolated to just the one?

Originally Posted by ottoman101
I should also mention the service guy at my dealer said that he's had three or four new RDX's come in with rear shock problems. He said they were all on the rear driver side. So be mindful.

I was also told when they took the strut off the car it just fell apart and started leaking.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

The rear "shocks" or now called "dampers"....they are still fancy shock absorbers with 2 piston valves....one to help absorb minor road vibration while the second one is stiffer, for larger suspension motion. Acura calls these "Amplitude Reactive Dampers." Also on the ILX and maybe another.

Anyway....they are made for Acura by "Sachs" in Mexico. They are the same left and right.
The front suspension is designed differently using Macpherson struts. That's a "shock" within a spring.

The rear suspension has separate "dampers" and springs.

I have my Acura Service/Parts Director checking the part #'s of the '13 RDX and the newly released '14 RDX....in case they may have changed them on the new model. I doubt it...but, I hope.

He has changed some for leaking....and has called other dealers for me...and they also have changed some. I checked mine and they are not leaking....but, I do get that thumping noise when going over certain types of dips, etc.

Hope this helps. I'll let you all know when I get an answer on the part # for the '14 RDX rear shocks (dampers).
Lanman (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Good info.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
The rear "shocks" or now called "dampers"....they are still fancy shock absorbers with 2 piston valves....one to help absorb minor road vibration while the second one is stiffer, for larger suspension motion. Acura calls these "Amplitude Reactive Dampers." Also on the ILX and maybe another.

Anyway....they are made for Acura by "Sachs" in Mexico. They are the same left and right.
The front suspension is designed differently using Macpherson struts. That's a "shock" within a spring.

I have my Acura Service/Parts Director checking the part #'s of the '13 RDX and the newly released '14 RDX....in case they may have changed them on the new model. I doubt it...but, I hope.

He has changed some for leaking....and has called other dealers for me...and they also have changed some. I checked mine and they are not leaking....but, I do get that thumping noise when going over certain types of dips, etc.

Hope this helps. I'll let you all know when I get an answer on the part # for the '14 RDX rear shocks (dampers).

Thanks. Please do. ILX'r here experiencing the same, even after a swap for a "new" shock/damper.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

The terms "shocks" and "dampers" have always been synonymous with usage of either usually determined by the country of origin of the vehicle or person using the terms.

Interestingly, Acura refers to them on the RDX in their advertising as "dampers" but in their parts listing they are "shocks".

Referring to the 2013 only as I do not yet have access to the 2014 parts listings, since you point out they are the same in the rear left and right side, it is worth noting that the part numbers for the AWD models is different than that for the FWD models.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by GRDX
The terms "shocks" and "dampers" have always been synonymous with usage of either usually determined by the country of origin of the vehicle or person using the terms.

Interestingly, Acura refers to them on the RDX in their advertising as "dampers" but in their parts listing they are "shocks".

Referring to the 2013 only as I do not yet have access to the 2014 parts listings, since you point out they are the same in the rear left and right side, it is worth noting that the part numbers for the AWD models is different than that for the FWD models.
Yes, in the Parts Listing they are; "shock absorber assy." Dampers are a newer term to describe the same basic part used for decades....a shock absorber.

The part # for the '13 AND the '14 RDX AWD Tech model is: 52610-TX4-A02.
They are the same for the new model to start out with.....darn it! They are the same for both sides in the rear.

For the front struts....which have a "shock absorber" inside the spring.....And that is Acura's Parts description..."shock absorber".....the part # left and right are different....BUT, I do not believe it's because the internals of the basic shock are different....it's because of the mounting flange and bracket to support the spring that's wrapped around it.

So, was hoping the '14 would have a newer revised shock for the rears, but, I didn't expect it. They probably bought a ton of those things and have to use them.

Take care.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Thanks. Please do. ILX'r here experiencing the same, even after a swap for a "new" shock/damper.
Please read the results of my investigation above this post. Part #'s are the same for '13 and '14 RDX AWD, Tech.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a compatible after market shock for this car?
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I think "hand-filer" will be able to give you the more detailed information but there is, he replaced them with that of the previous generation Odyssey van if I am not mistaken. They were from the brand "monroe" if my failing memory serves me well *lol*

UPDATE: Please find the link to the solution from "hand-filer"....a very resourceful contributor to this forum I might add...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=874856&page=2

Last edited by weather; 04-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ I think "hand-filer" will be able to give you the more detailed information but there is, he replaced them with that of the previous generation Odyssey van if I am not mistaken. They were from the brand "monroe" if my failing memory serves me well *lol*

UPDATE: Please find the link to the solution from "hand-filer"....a very resourceful contributor to this forum I might add...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=874856&page=2
Thanks for the plug weather. Although the shock replacement worked out well and has resulted in a noise free ride, I would suggest that RDX owners hold out for a little while longer. There is a fix coming out in late April early May.
If anyone out there is bound and determined to do the shock swap, send me a pm and I'll provide the part numbers for the shocks and the install kit along with some install tips.
As a FYI Acura also has a fix coming for the vibration issue that some owners have complained about. This will involve test driving the vehicle with the VCM module disconnected. If that results in no vibration the procedure that follows involves loosing the subframe bolts and following a specific sequence of re-torquing the bolts.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hand-filer
Thanks for the plug weather. Although the shock replacement worked out well and has resulted in a noise free ride, I would suggest that RDX owners hold out for a little while longer. There is a fix coming out in late April early May.
If anyone out there is bound and determined to do the shock swap, send me a pm and I'll provide the part numbers for the shocks and the install kit along with some install tips.
As a FYI Acura also has a fix coming for the vibration issue that some owners have complained about. This will involve test driving the vehicle with the VCM module disconnected. If that results in no vibration the procedure that follows involves loosing the subframe bolts and following a specific sequence of re-torquing the bolts.

Like I've indicated in the past, I believe the shock "fix" you keep referring to that is on it's way within the next few weeks may be only for the Canadian market. Is that rite?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Just an FYI.

Hi Lanman,

Just wondering about your rotor warped. I am assuming it's the front ones? Mine seems to be that way as well now.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by TBC787
Does anyone know if there is a compatible after market shock for this car?
I've done some checking and couldn't find anything. Doesn't mean someone might make one, but, at this point my guess is no. I'm sure there will be something soon from the aftermarket...but, also, Acura may have a new one out. Hope so.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had rumbling noise coming from driver's side rear almost since I got my 2013 RDX AWD Tech. I did mention this to service manager and scheduled a appointment to go in and have shop foreman ride with me. We weren't even out of the lot and he heard it loud and clear. The shock/strut assembly was bad. Replaced it and the rumbling is gone and the vehicle handles much better. But, I question why only replace one shock on a vehiclr with 8800 miles. What happens when the other side goes? And does this cause the suspension to be lop sided?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Good question I was wondering that myself.

Originally Posted by Poncho's Mom
I had rumbling noise coming from driver's side rear almost since I got my 2013 RDX AWD Tech. I did mention this to service manager and scheduled a appointment to go in and have shop foreman ride with me. We weren't even out of the lot and he heard it loud and clear. The shock/strut assembly was bad. Replaced it and the rumbling is gone and the vehicle handles much better. But, I question why only replace one shock on a vehiclr with 8800 miles. What happens when the other side goes? And does this cause the suspension to be lop sided?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
I took my car in for the first service today (almost 6,000 miles). Dropped it off for an oil change, tire rotation, hands free link bluetooth update, and to check the rear suspension. I am in a loaner ILX right now and my RDX should be at the dealer all weekend to see if they can replicate the problem. I should know what they find out on Monday. I'll let you all know.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by Poncho's Mom
Honestly, I'm not try to be picky at all.....but, when it comes to understanding for all those interested....terminology must be correct.

You said the driver's side "REAR" was replaced and called it a "shock strut assembly." That is NOT CORRECT. The rear suspension has a separate shock and spring. It's not a "strut" which is a shock within a spring.....That is how the FRONT suspension is designed. A "Strut Assy." which is, again, not how the rear is designed.

So, with that said...I'm having to assume they replaced the shock absorber or "damper" using a new term.

To me replacing one side and having an almost 9 thousand mile difference between sides is NOT what I would want. I would have "discussed" the point with the Serv. Mgr....and it can be his/her decision...but, sometimes they ask Acura. IF I would have lost the argument I would have changed the other side on my dime....but, again, not before making a strong case to everyone at Acura. That's a lot of mileage difference between sides. If it had been...oh, let's say around 1 thousand miles or less I most likely would have let it go and not asked for a "matching" to the other side.

And, yes, having almost 9 thousand miles difference between sides could easily make one shock weaker than the other, and thus not the "optimal" situation I would want, as I explained above.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ go away
hand-filer (04-15-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by QN52
^ go away
I see you are trying to cause trouble again. We don't need that...so...knock off the BS!

I wrote a "spot on" response and it was accurate. So, unless you have something intelligent....unlikely....to offer....no one needs your crap on here.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

I have mine in for a 30,000 km service today. Rear diff fluid change and oil etc. They called me and say they are replacing the sway bar bushings. I have complained about clunking and suspension rattles since I bought it. The guy that drove me back also does warranty paperwork and he confirmed that Acura/Honda canada is working on a driveline vibration issue as well. He tells me one customer is so upset she wants to return the vehicle. I haven't felt that - yet!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
I took my car in for the first service today (almost 6,000 miles). Dropped it off for an oil change, tire rotation, hands free link bluetooth update, and to check the rear suspension. I am in a loaner ILX right now and my RDX should be at the dealer all weekend to see if they can replicate the problem. I should know what they find out on Monday. I'll let you all know.
dealer could not replicate the problem.... I will take it back again sooner or later
Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Cruisin'

Got it back with new sway bar bushings. I think it's quieter. Time will tell. They also did diff fluid change and the TSB on the underside panel fasteners.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM
8th Gear

Well, at 8,900 mi, I just went in for first service and had them check the very noisy right rear shock (called a strut by the service advisor). I'm in central PA, and subject to cold weather, but even when it warmed up somewhat, it was still so bad that I was trying to avoid manhole covers.

Long story short, the svc advisor said that they had seen a number of '13 RDXs with the same problem, so he had no issues with replacing the shock (strut, whatever . . .). This has taken care of the noise at this point. I asked if he saw any of the ones that were replaced come back again with the same problem, and he said that so far, he has not seen that.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by gzvette61
Well, at 8,900 mi, I just went in for first service and had them check the very noisy right rear shock (called a strut by the service advisor). I'm in central PA, and subject to cold weather, but even when it warmed up somewhat, it was still so bad that I was trying to avoid manhole covers.

Long story short, the svc advisor said that they had seen a number of '13 RDXs with the same problem, so he had no issues with replacing the shock (strut, whatever . . .). This has taken care of the noise at this point. I asked if he saw any of the ones that were replaced come back again with the same problem, and he said that so far, he has not seen that.
After owning over 30 new cars, I've come to know a little about service advisors. Plus I know and have known some personally. Like in most professions....there are good ones and bad ones. Those that really know the brand they are writing up for service....and those that have worked at many dealers and don't really know the brand they are currently working that well.

I have an extensive mechanical background....and that helps too.
No matter what the "svc. advisor" called them....they are shocks or dampers on the rear. Struts are on the front on the '13 RDX.

And I don't believe putting on the same part # shocks will "fix" the problem for very long. Short term maybe....but, not long term. They must be "changed....re-engineered to truly fix our problem.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
After owning over 30 new cars, I've come to know a little about service advisors. Plus I know and have known some personally. Like in most professions....there are good ones and bad ones. Those that really know the brand they are writing up for service....and those that have worked at many dealers and don't really know the brand they are currently working that well.

I have an extensive mechanical background....and that helps too.
No matter what the "svc. advisor" called them....they are shocks or dampers on the rear. Struts are on the front on the '13 RDX.

And I don't believe putting on the same part # shocks will "fix" the problem for very long. Short term maybe....but, not long term. They must be "changed....re-engineered to truly fix our problem.
I have no inside knowledge of how car manufacturers handle numbering parts so I have a general question to anyone that may have an idea how it's done. If a supplier makes a change or "slightly improves" a part, say a shock absorber, but otherwise it's the same part, will manufacturers change the part number? I can make an assumption either way but would really be interested in how it is really done. A car can be recalled for just certain VIN numbers which can mean that the same car manufactured after a certain date for example is fine, while others manufactured before that date are recalled. The manufacturer may have found a part, that was the same part #, was defective while other cars manufactured after that date with the same part # are OK.

If they keep the same exact part and supplier but the supplier has "fixed" the part, would they necessarily change the part #?
robuckj (07-20-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Based on my experience with my old G35, yes.

They had a problem with plastic bushings and wound up making them out of a better material - silicone, I believe. They changed the part number on the bushings even though the only change was a change in the material. Design wise, they were identical.

Originally Posted by geocord
I have no inside knowledge of how car manufacturers handle numbering parts so I have a general question to anyone that may have an idea how it's done. If a supplier makes a change or "slightly improves" a part, say a shock absorber, but otherwise it's the same part, will manufacturers change the part number? I can make an assumption either way but would really be interested in how it is really done. A car can be recalled for just certain VIN numbers which can mean that the same car manufactured after a certain date for example is fine, while others manufactured before that date are recalled. The manufacturer may have found a part, that was the same part #, was defective while other cars manufactured after that date with the same part # are OK.

If they keep the same exact part and supplier but the supplier has "fixed" the part, would they necessarily change the part #?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sose
Based on my experience with my old G35, yes.

They had a problem with plastic bushings and wound up making them out of a better material - silicone, I believe. They changed the part number on the bushings even though the only change was a change in the material. Design wise, they were identical.

Tks. You may not know for sure but would it make a difference if the part was made inhouse(in your case Infiniti/Nissan) or if a part was sourced from the outside? I guess this question could get pretty technical and may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. I was just wondering if the outside supplier of the shock slightly improved the shock but was the same spec and design, would Acura have necessarily changed the part #? Referencing back to recalls, they may discover that just a short run of vehicles have THE defective part #, while other vehicles with that same part # are ok. So that makes me think that some parts with the same # could be ok while others may not be ok. Could that explain why some of us have no "big thump" in our rear suspension while others with the same part # do?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Tks. You may not know for sure but would it make a difference if the part was made inhouse(in your case Infiniti/Nissan) or if a part was sourced from the outside? I guess this question could get pretty technical and may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. I was just wondering if the outside supplier of the shock slightly improved the shock but was the same spec and design, would Acura have necessarily changed the part #? Referencing back to recalls, they may discover that just a short run of vehicles have THE defective part #, while other vehicles with that same part # are ok. So that makes me think that some parts with the same # could be ok while others may not be ok. Could that explain why some of us have no "big thump" in our rear suspension while others with the same part # do?
In the example I provided, Nissan changed the part number to reflect the change. Therefore, the OEM parts had a new number.

After market, I don't know. I remember doing the research enough to know what I was going to get but didn't really think to check part numbers. I knew the newer aftermarket were "upgrades".

Sorry I don't have much more to add.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sose
In the example I provided, Nissan changed the part number to reflect the change. Therefore, the OEM parts had a new number.

After market, I don't know. I remember doing the research enough to know what I was going to get but didn't really think to check part numbers. I knew the newer aftermarket were "upgrades".

Sorry I don't have much more to add.
Yeah, I wasn't talking aftermarket but original supplier parts. Maybe that's what you mean by aftermarket, an outside supplier that makes OEM parts for the manufacturer. But true aftermarket is a different definition. It probably varies by make and situation to the point where there may not be a definitive answer but thanks.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Yeah, I wasn't talking aftermarket but original supplier parts. Maybe that's what you mean by aftermarket, an outside supplier that makes OEM parts for the manufacturer. But true aftermarket is a different definition. It probably varies by make and situation to the point where there may not be a definitive answer but thanks.
Oh gotcha! I see where I misunderstood you earlier.

When I said aftermarket I meant like another company that sells their own product.

In the bushings example, Nissan makes their own unlike other parts which they outsource.

Nissan was the one that made the part number change (and also produce it).
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ottoman101
The dealer just replaced my rear driverside strut. It was making a rattling noise after going over bumps. I started hearing the noise after about 5000miles. Hopefully the other struts dont give out too.
Now my rear passenger side shock is making the same rattling noise. I wish the dealer had replaced both of them last month, instead of just one. This is so disappointing.

Quick Reply: Rear shocks going bad