Rear shocks going bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Rear shocks going bad

I just had to replace my rear shocks on my brand new 2012 rdx. with 6,000 miles The dealer indicated that the '13 models have been having bad shock problems. Just a heads up to you all.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
8th Gear

I mean 2013 rdx.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
good lookin out
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Search for posts by handfiler. He pretty much has it figured out.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. Took it to the dealer and they said they couldn't recreate the problem. But that was BS because together we took the car for a test drive and recreated the problem once. They just chose not to do anything about it. The the rear shocks have "bottomed out" several times on speed bumps and pot holes. It's very dramatic when it happens. That along with the low beam headlight problem makes me an UNHAPPY Acura ( 2nd Acura) customer.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Interesting...4500 miles and no trouble with rear shocks. We have plenty of deepish stormwater 'dips' at our central Texas intersections; making for many opportunities to test out the shock performance.

I wonder if this is an insidious failure or a result of one instance of 'trauma'.

It will be worth noting if there are certain shock model or lot #s involved or if it likely will involve all '13 RDXs eventually. I'll be in for the first service in a few weeks. Perhaps, more will be known by then.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts
It would be nice if people would add their user location in settings. That would provide us with some insight as to whether or not this is a temperature related issue.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CoachRick
Interesting...4500 miles and no trouble with rear shocks. We have plenty of deepish stormwater 'dips' at our central Texas intersections; making for many opportunities to test out the shock performance.
They seem to handle dips and bumps without issue. It's sunken manhole type road surface irregularities that they don't react well to.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hand-filer
They seem to handle dips and bumps without issue. It's sunken manhole type road surface irregularities that they don't react well to.
I see. We don't have too much snow/ice down here, so most of the roads are pretty good. My Spidey-sense keeps me away from most pot-holes(Developed that Spidey-sense initially with a Triumph TR-6 and fine-tuned it while driving an early Miata ). Still, I do engage the occasional hole-in-the-road; but so far, so good. I wonder if it takes just one good 'smack' to bust things up and result in the failure...or were the shocks just miserable to start with???
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 PM
Burning Brakes

I see. We don't have too much snow/ice down here, so most of the roads are pretty good. My Spidey-sense keeps me away from most pot-holes(Developed that Spidey-sense initially with a Triumph TR-6 and fine-tuned it while driving an early Miata ). Still, I do engage the occasional hole-in-the-road; but so far, so good. I wonder if it takes just one good 'smack' to bust things up and result in the failure...or were the shocks just miserable to start with???
Our roads are shite up here as a result of the weather extremes. My mustang has the optional Brembo brake/handling (stiff) package so I try and avoid the pot holes and such as well.
My RDX made the sound right out of the gate but I bought it in early December and we were already experiencing below freezing temps.
Lately we have been experiencing -20 to -30F temps and the thumping banging sounds reappear, albeit much less pronounced, when the temperature goes past -25.
This would indicate that my shock replacement fix is masking the actual cause of the noise.
Something in the back is loose and or resonating and it takes the right combination to set things off.
I'm sure it will get resolved eventually.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM
Pro

Our roads are shite up here as a result of the weather extremes. My mustang has the optional Brembo brake/handling (stiff) package so I try and avoid the pot holes and such as well.
My RDX made the sound right out of the gate but I bought it in early December and we were already experiencing below freezing temps.
Lately we have been experiencing -20 to -30F temps and the thumping banging sounds reappear, albeit much less pronounced, when the temperature goes past -25.

This would indicate that my shock replacement fix is masking the actual cause of the noise.
Something in the back is loose and or resonating and it takes the right combination to set things off.
I'm sure it will get resolved eventually.
Dang! And I thought it was a little too chilly HERE!
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day...+TX+78717:4:US
Old 02-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ I am so envious of your weather! I am so tired of winter and the mess that it brings. I am in a position where I can now think about spending 3-4 months a year away from work and in a warmer climate. I am thinking that my winters in Canada are coming to an end...I just now need a spot to rent/buy down south and find the ideal place....Nice problem to have Oh and decide which vehicles to take with me....*lol*
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Weather - Come on down! Lots of houses for sale here in central Florida at good prices. We even let you turn right on red lights and have real left turn arrows (instead of blinking the amber light).
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by weather
^^^ I am so envious of your weather! I am so tired of winter and the mess that it brings. I am in a position where I can now think about spending 3-4 months a year away from work and in a warmer climate. I am thinking that my winters in Canada are coming to an end...I just now need a spot to rent/buy down south and find the ideal place....Nice problem to have Oh and decide which vehicles to take with me....*lol*
The parents of our next-door neighbors come straight down I-35 each year for 4+ months. Some years, they stay until the very end of the allowed 'visitation' period. They got stuck one year and actually had a bit of trouble getting back into Canada. I think they 'build in' a few extra days, now . I imagine it's tough to leave weather in the 70s if you know there's 3 feet of snow on the ground 'back home'.

Actually, it's an unwritten weather 'rule' that we will have two days in February when the temps hit 90...THAT'S a little strange, but it's happened 4 out of 5 years for us.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dorsey
Weather - Come on down! Lots of houses for sale here in central Florida at good prices. We even let you turn right on red lights and have real left turn arrows (instead of blinking the amber light).
*lol* That sounds like an offer I can't resist! I know the housing market in the US is a bit hurting at the moment and although I would hate to take advantage of the vulnerability of the folks in the US, if I can afford one without any problem, why not take advantage of it right?! My biggest problem is to find someone who would accept looking after the property while I am away, or someone who want to live there for virtually nothing.

The parents of our next-door neighbors come straight down I-35 each year for 4+ months. Some years, they stay until the very end of the allowed 'visitation' period. They got stuck one year and actually had a bit of trouble getting back into Canada. I think they 'build in' a few extra days, now . I imagine it's tough to leave weather in the 70s if you know there's 3 feet of snow on the ground 'back home'.

Actually, it's an unwritten weather 'rule' that we will have two days in February when the temps hit 90...THAT'S a little strange, but it's happened 4 out of 5 years for us.
I am not sure I would want to risk staying longer than I am authorized to stay but as you stated, leaving temps in the 70-80's to come back in the snow but in March, the weather is getting nicer and nicer
Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah but don't you have bugs as big as cats and Alligators that like to cross roads?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dalmeida
Yeah but don't you have bugs as big as cats and Alligators that like to cross roads?
The feral pythons eat the bugs and the alligators eat the pythons. We make shoes out of the alligators so it all works out.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My rear shocks on my 2013 RDX Tech, are totally ok.. no issues. The car does ride a little hard-stiff, but this is a characteristic of the vehicle. My 2011 Touring Oddy does the same thing. It doesn't have the floaty, 1970's mushy ride of say a Toyota-Lexus product. Kind of funny, Lexus has made the ride on their newest generation cars more stiff-Honda Like and some customers are now complaining... go figure?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
8th Gear

The service dept told me that they had a problem with the first lot #'s for the '13 rdx and they have built new ones. So they replaced mine with the new lot #'s. I bought the car in Salt Lake City where the roads were pretty good. I started hearing a rattling noise from the rear at about 1000 miles. Took it in for them to look into it and they said they found no problems. I then moved to Wisconsin around 4500 miles on the car. Thats when I started having problems with the car bottoming out over potholes and bumps in the road. I suspected the early rattling was associated with the now bottoming out. I'm glad I took it back as the problem is now resolved, hopefully.
The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Universal Traveler
The service dept told me that they had a problem with the first lot #'s for the '13 rdx and they have built new ones. So they replaced mine with the new lot #'s. I bought the car in Salt Lake City where the roads were pretty good. I started hearing a rattling noise from the rear at about 1000 miles. Took it in for them to look into it and they said they found no problems. I then moved to Wisconsin around 4500 miles on the car. Thats when I started having problems with the car bottoming out over potholes and bumps in the road. I suspected the early rattling was associated with the now bottoming out. I'm glad I took it back as the problem is now resolved, hopefully.
Can you please provide the name and location of the dealership that replaced the shocks and told you that there was a problem with the first lot #'s on the shocks?

The ILX is experiencing the same. They both have the newly designed multi damper struts/shocks.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Can you please provide the name and location of the dealership that replaced the shocks and told you that there was a problem with the first lot #'s on the shocks?

The ILX is experiencing the same. They both have the newly designed multi damper struts/shocks.

Thanks.
That's absolutely right. I believe both the ILX and the RDX are using the new "amplitude reactive dampers", probably coming from the same source too.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by denizen77
That's absolutely right. I believe both the ILX and the RDX are using the new "amplitude reactive dampers", probably coming from the same source too.
...the trash heap

They are horrible on bumpy roads.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM
8th Gear

It was Zimbrick Acura in Middleton Wisconsin.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
8th Gear

Angry

Originally Posted by Universal Traveler
Same issue here, I live in Appleton wi and my rear shocks have already been replaced once, but I still had the issue, so I brought it to the dealership again! The dealership said nothing is wrong, so I went on and I heard the noise again. I brought my car in again and the dealership is like come back again and we will test drive your car. So the fourth time I went and I took a technician with me and he realized this was abnormal. Now he is saying let me test drive another acura rdx and then we will talk. ACURA ARE YOU SERIOUS???? I DIDN'T PAY 40K FOR YOUR LAME SERVICE AND MALFUNCTIONING CAR!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Patels1995
Same issue here, I live in Appleton wi and my rear shocks have already been replaced once, but I still had the issue, so I brought it to the dealership again! The dealership said nothing is wrong, so I went on and I heard the noise again. I brought my car in again and the dealership is like come back again and we will test drive your car. So the fourth time I went and I took a technician with me and he realized this was abnormal. Now he is saying let me test drive another acura rdx and then we will talk. ACURA ARE YOU SERIOUS???? I DIDN'T PAY 40K FOR YOUR LAME SERVICE AND MALFUNCTIONING CAR!!!!!!!!
That's what I'm saying. We are experiencing the same with the ILX's

Please keep up posted. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, a car making a noise is malfunctioning. Acura did it on purpose when they rolled out this redesigned model...they are out to get you. You should have known better and paid the $50K for one of the European companies' similar offerings that don't make noises and are known for their overall reliability and low cost of ownership.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Insert sarcasm here *lmao*
Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 AM
8th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Busy Livin'
Yes, a car making a noise is malfunctioning. Acura did it on purpose when they rolled out this redesigned model...they are out to get you. You should have known better and paid the $50K for one of the European companies' similar offerings that don't make noises and are known for their overall reliability and low cost of ownership.
On all serious matterS what can I do?? Client services they can't do anything because the technician said it makes the odd noise in the other car. I wish I could trade my car for an x3 or a q5but it would cost way too much. I reported it to bbb.org. Do you have any other rational ideas?
Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 PM
8th Gear

Angry

That's what I'm saying. We are experiencing the same with the ILX's

Please keep up posted. Thanks.
So the technician drove a new car and said the rdx is like that it is suppose to make that noise yea I'm pulling the bs card out on that
Old 03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Burning Brakes

So the technician drove a new car and said the rdx is like that it is suppose to make that noise yea I'm pulling the bs card out on that
Yes it makes this noise when new so that when the car is worn out it will still have that new car feel!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ LMAO.....Now that is clever and witty! They should use that as their "Smart Luxury" slogan
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ LMAO.....Now that is clever and witty! They should use that as their "Smart Luxury" slogan
If I can crack someone up, it's been a good day for me.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am excatly the same. I love humour and I love to see people happy and laughing around me. Life is already complicated and stressful enough....I don't want to grow old and bitter....Its bad enough being ugly
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I just got off the phone with Acura Canada. It looks like there have been enough complaints for this to warrant their attention. They were short on specifics but Honda engineering is working on a repair that is not too far off from being released.
The following 4 users liked this post by hand-filer:
mikejmack (03-08-2013), Patels1995 (03-27-2013), Silvermoon (11-30-2013), weather (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

AWSOME!!! That should mitigate one of the biggest and most consistent complaint associated with the RDX! Thanks for the update!!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

AWSOME!!! That should mitigate one of the biggest and most consistent complaint associated with the RDX! Thanks for the update!!
It gets even better. They are also working on the vibration issue. They are revising the programming of the VCM system.
This was confirmed by someone that I know that works for Honda.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Racer

I just got off the phone with Acura Canada. It looks like there have been enough complaints for this to warrant their attention. They were short on specifics but Honda engineering is working on a repair that is not too far off from being released.
Any mention with the ILX since we are experiencing the same?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Any mention with the ILX since we are experiencing the same?
No. The conversation related to the RDX and these people are pretty much limited to whatever script they're handed.
I'm pretty sure the ILX issues will be resolved too.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

It gets even better. They are also working on the vibration issue. They are revising the programming of the VCM system.
This was confirmed by someone that I know that works for Honda.
OMG...The news keeps getting better and better! I'd give you a hug right now but given my past jokes about the blond wig and the part of the car that makes you shift from gear to gear (won't name it), it is probably better that I don't offer *lol* Although its all done in good joke, I keep forgetting that sometime, my humor could be deemed offensive even though anyone that knows me would say that I am the biggest pussy cat!

Quick Reply: Rear shocks going bad