Headlight Assembly Removal - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Headlight Assembly Removal

Old 12-09-2018, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Question Headlight Assembly Removal

Does anyone know how to remove the headlight assembly on the 2014 RDX with halogen lamps? The driver's side is so dim that it looks like it is off at night unless you're next to something, and the passenger side isn't much better. I've tried replacing the bulbs and also switching them side-to-side without any real change in the brightness. They weren't too bad when we first got the car, but at some point, it got dim. I wanted to remove the assemblies and try to clean the projector assemblies and lenses if possible. The exterior seems fine, so the problem must be inside the housing. We did ask the dealership the last time it was in for service and they said it could be a ballast problem, so they obviously don't know what to do about it since it doesn't have ballasts to start with.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Here is the service manual, hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:07 PM

Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
You can't exactly "clean" projector assemblies.. They are chrome plated and if there was some malfunction with the assemblies internally, it's likely the reflector bowls have burned on soot or the reflective coating has burned off diminishing the optics..
Old 12-10-2018, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

thoibol your right, I missed that in his post. There is an igniter behind the bulb that maybe causing the dim lights.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HID Ignitor Replacement.pdf (73.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf
HID Troubleshooting.pdf (190.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Thanked 5,741 Times in 4,605 Posts
OP said he has halogen bulbs so no Ignitor in this case
Old 12-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dave08902 View Post
Here is the service manual, hope this helps.
Definitely helps, but the weather outside does not. Maybe we'll get some warmer weather where I can tackle this over the winter, otherwise I'll find some time in the spring.

Originally Posted by thoiboi View Post
You can't exactly "clean" projector assemblies.. They are chrome plated and if there was some malfunction with the assemblies internally, it's likely the reflector bowls have burned on soot or the reflective coating has burned off diminishing the optics..
Yeah, at this point, I'm not sure what the issue is. It is possible that the coating is bad. Given the light output, it is either the reflector bowl or the lens. At least if I get the housing out, I'll know better what the issue is. Given the crappy light output, I'm not going to make it much worse by trying.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Got the same problem on my 15 model. Low beams or so bad, it's like they aren't made to do the job and more like daytime running lights. Went to remove the low beam bulbs and possibly change the bulbs to something with higher lums , but can't remove the back protective cover to just get to the bulbs. If you find an answer please post back, and good luck to you, others are hoping for a solution also.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM

I also have a 2014 Acura RDX with the dim headlight problem. Dealership plays dumb. There is insufficient projection of light. Initially as the lights burned out I replaced them with higher end halogen lights. When they burned out the dealership said the after market bulb was too much voltage or wattage for the Wiring harness and I might need to replace that as it appears soft or melted. They replaced one headlight with an OEM bulb which also had no projection of light, but it was “on” so they considered it “good”. It also soon burned out. They have never addressed the low light projection issue. I finally gave up trying to fix and now I just use my hi-beams at night. I use the running lights in the daytime. Today I read a story of a man in Bellingham Washington who was working on the headlights of his 2014 Acura RDX in his garage and had a short circuit and small fire. He thought he had extinguished the fire, went in the house to place an order for replacement headlight wires. The fire was not out and he returned to find his car ablaze! Unable to extinguish the fire himself he called 911. $600,000 damage assessed to house, garage, and car! I love everything else about this car, but this headlight wiring issue could be a deal breaker for me as far as ever getting another Acura or even keeping this one much longer. I have 85,000 miles on it.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

As an update, I brought home a borescope from work and inspected the driver's side low beam projector today, since that one is the worst. It still works, but a candle would probably give more light at night. At first I just checked the front lens and cutoff assembly but didn't see anything. I put a 45 degree mirror on it and put the scope back in to see the rest of the projector. It wasn't the greatest image, but I saw light/dark grey, little reflection, and a lot of cracking. It looks like at least one of the projectors is burnt. Given that the passenger side is slowly getting worse too, I'll be replacing both housings at some point this spring so that we can see at night again.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by imnuts View Post
As an update, I brought home a borescope from work and inspected the driver's side low beam projector today, since that one is the worst. It still works, but a candle would probably give more light at night. At first I just checked the front lens and cutoff assembly but didn't see anything. I put a 45 degree mirror on it and put the scope back in to see the rest of the projector. It wasn't the greatest image, but I saw light/dark grey, little reflection, and a lot of cracking. It looks like at least one of the projectors is burnt. Given that the passenger side is slowly getting worse too, I'll be replacing both housings at some point this spring so that we can see at night again.
Well that is bad. Do you keep your car in the garage?
Old 03-06-2019, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Base2014RDX View Post
Well that is bad. Do you keep your car in the garage?
​​​​​​No, we don't have a garage, but I don't know why keeping it in a garage would change anything. There car is 5.5 years old, and this has been an issue that's been getting worse for the last year and a half or more. Headlight housings should last longer than 4 years regardless of where the car is stored.

It does change when I'll replace the housing though as it need to be in the 50s before I want to be outside ripping the front of the car apart.