Concerned

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 01:13 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Concerned

Hi guy's I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for awhile. I am in the market for a new vehicle and after much research and YouTube watching have tentatively decided on a 2nd generation RDX, probably the 2017 technology model. The only thing that really concerns me are the things I that I have read about the transmission in the RDX. Shudders, judders, rough shifting issues. I'm just trying to figure the odds and or percentage of me getting a bad running vehicle. I'm pretty much just looking for some positive reinforcement on if I should invest in the RDX or move on to something with a better transmission. Thank you in advance.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
We just bought a used 2016. I have not experienced any shudders. It has approx 30k on it. The fluid seems really clean and there was not record of it
having been changed as part of the dealer certification process. It looks like the MID will set a code for a fluid change at about 45k, but other Honda models using this
drivetrain call for a 30k replacement. There is a service bulletin on trans shudders. One of the things they do, besides updating software, is to replace the fluid.
That means replacing it three or four times with driving or simulated, on the lift, driving in between. There is another issue with this drivetrain, that is the Variable Cylinder Management
or VCM that shuts off 3 of the 6 cylinders under light loads to help with fuel economy. When that kicks in and out, it can seem like a shudder. Combine the VCM change with a down shift
and it can seem like there is really something wrong. Why this affects some and not others is a mystery.

So, should you bother? Well there is something wrong with just about every car. We do know how to deal with this one. Muzzle the VCM with a device that fools the engine management system
into not shutting down cylinders. (fuel economy loss maybe 1 mpg) and doing frequent trans fluid changes. Every 30k at at least, every 15k (or every other oil change) better. Trans fluid changes
are not a new idea in a Honda automatic, been that way for 40 years. There's a drain plug and a fill hole. Easier than changing the oil. Only the correct fluid can be used. OEM or better.

This car puts a smile on my face just like the youtube reviewers say it does to them. Worth it to me.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:01 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply egads,
This is some good news to me am glad to hear that you're not so concerned about these issues. I know about the VCM and how the motor cuts out 3 cylinders for better fuel mileage. I've heard that during deactivation you may experience a bit of vibration but almost imperceptible. I also get the downshifts into 1st gear may be abrupt. I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla, bought it new 16 years ago as a commuter for work, awesome little car and downshifts to 1st in that car are very noticeable. I have 197,000 miles on it and the motor still runs like a top. In that car and the many other cars and trucks I've owned in my life, I'm 61, I have never changed the tyranny fluid in any of them and never had any issues. Anyhow I just retired last year and want to treat myself to a nice vehicle, I like to drive. I have done tons of research online and on YouTube on the RDX and it just seems like it would be the perfect vehicle for me. I like the luxury of it, the drivers hight and especially the V-6. I live in Connecticut and the driving here is aggressive. The 6 cylinder and the 6.2, 0-60 times will be great for on ramps and passing other cars. The 30,000 mile transmission oil changes sound good to me although I've read on this forum where guys are changing it out on ever other oil change. Because I don't have personal experience with the RDX, who am I to judge if this is overly excessive. I thank you for your reply and your observations. Please keep me informed on how you make out with your new 2016 RDX. I will be looking into a 2016 or 2017 also. Please have yourself a wonderful Memorial Day. Regards , Steve.
The following users liked this post:
wsw (03-14-2020)
Old 06-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Pro

A trans fluid change schedule of every other oil change is for hard use. This drive train is also used in the MDX, Pilot, & Odyssey. When one drives one of those, loaded down
kids & maybe camping gear for long trips or just lots of suburban running around, then frequent changes are the best idea. Keep in mind that a normal drain & fill on these transmissions only replaces
approx 1/3 of the fluid, so one is just refreshing the additives in the fluid. Honda automatics are not like any other. Borg-Warner controls once blew Honda off when they requested help building
a small automatic as they were first entering the US market. So they developed their own. Everything was fine until the first big heavy vehicle, the 1999 Odyssey. Folks like you, who had never
changed trans fluid as a maintenance item, completely missed the 45k interval. Once they got to 90k, they were failing. Honda has been trying to get it right ever since.

This is not my first go round with this engine either. My wife bought an Odyssey new in 2003 and I bought a used 2002 to use as a work truck a couple of years later. I'm still driving that 02,
with its original trans. It has 240k on it. My daughter is driving the 03 with close to 300k. So these things can last with proper care. I'm sure the electronic gadgets in these things will give me
more trouble than the drive train.
The following users liked this post:
SandwichViking (06-02-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by egads
We just bought a used 2016. I have not experienced any shudders. It has approx 30k on it. The fluid seems really clean and there was not record of it
having been changed as part of the dealer certification process. It looks like the MID will set a code for a fluid change at about 45k, but other Honda models using this
drivetrain call for a 30k replacement. There is a service bulletin on trans shudders. One of the things they do, besides updating software, is to replace the fluid.
That means replacing it three or four times with driving or simulated, on the lift, driving in between. There is another issue with this drivetrain, that is the Variable Cylinder Management
or VCM that shuts off 3 of the 6 cylinders under light loads to help with fuel economy. When that kicks in and out, it can seem like a shudder. Combine the VCM change with a down shift
and it can seem like there is really something wrong. Why this affects some and not others is a mystery.

So, should you bother? Well there is something wrong with just about every car. We do know how to deal with this one. Muzzle the VCM with a device that fools the engine management system
into not shutting down cylinders. (fuel economy loss maybe 1 mpg) and doing frequent trans fluid changes. Every 30k at at least, every 15k (or every other oil change) better. Trans fluid changes
are not a new idea in a Honda automatic, been that way for 40 years. There's a drain plug and a fill hole. Easier than changing the oil. Only the correct fluid can be used. OEM or better.

This car puts a smile on my face just like the youtube reviewers say it does to them. Worth it to me.
I have had my 2013 RDX for about a month now, and today for the first time I think I experienced the shuttering of which you speak. I was at about 35-40 MPH and there was this vibration that I thought should not be happening. I gave it more gas to increase speed and the shuddering/vibrating stopped. I was concerned this might be an Trans issue. The car only has 63k miles on it, and I did not purchase it from an Acura dealer.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by vealboy
I have had my 2013 RDX for about a month now, and today for the first time I think I experienced the shuttering of which you speak. I was at about 35-40 MPH and there was this vibration that I thought should not be happening. I gave it more gas to increase speed and the shuddering/vibrating stopped. I was concerned this might be an Trans issue. The car only has 63k miles on it, and I did not purchase it from an Acura dealer.
The warranty is 8 years or 80k on the service bulletin:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-017.PDF
The following 2 users liked this post by egads:
Midnight Mystery (12-16-2019), vealboy (12-17-2019)
Old 03-13-2020, 04:16 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, definitely head to a dealer and get the software update done for the transmission. Got mine done and there's an immediate improvement and much smoother shift response. Lastly, Honda ATF fluid deteriorates quickly if overheated and also contributes to the hard shifting. In turn, you will need to perform a drain and top up 3 times as per procedure. A lot of people are having great luck with Valvoline Maxlife ATF over the Honda fluid. Hope this helps!