Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Brake Squeal

RDX FWD - I am noticing that my brakes will squeal as I use them the first few times after leaving the house on a cold morning (with or without fog overnite).
Has anyone noticed this early morning squealing which tends to dissipate during the day?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

The car has <1500 miles
Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I have the same problem. I traded in my 2007 RDX in June for the 2013 RDX and after around 1300 miles I have noticed a squeal when I use the breaks lightly/easy. It's not loud but it is noticeable. It was not there when it was new. I've been debating to take it to the dealer. Should I give the dealer a call?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If the only squeal is first thing in the morning it could be condensation generating slight rust on the pads.

That being said, I had squeal at around 1000 miles and brought it in to the dealer. Initially the techs couldn't replicate but eventually they did and replaced the front pads under warranty.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

good to know - I am going to keep an eye on this and probably try to take it in a week or so - time permitting.. will keep you all posted - initially the dealer pooh poohed this as being common for early morning condition - but this is first for me in 20 years of car ownership so sure does not sound right (literally)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

Update on squeal - they took off the wheels and soaked the brake pads with anti squeal application. No more squeal at low speed but something else I notice when applying brakes for a quick stop - groaning sound and not the instant stop that you would expect from an ABS.. need to keep observing to see if its different from my earlier Mercedes AWD truck
Old 09-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
I noticed a groaning yesterday. It happened at low speed on a slight incline in a parking lot. It went away and coul d not replicate. I will be keeping an eye on this.
The following users liked this post:
QN52 (10-20-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I have a new RDX as a weekend loaner while my RL is getting new struts (I am considering an RDX as a second vehichle).

While backing into the garage when I arrived home, the breaks did squeal and groan. It was raining out, so I will check again over the course of the weekend.

FYI, my RL will squeel slightly when pulling out of the garage in the morning, but never when backing into the garage after a drive.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
After 6,000 miles I've not noticed any squealing or groaning (yet).
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I'll chime in(squeal in) here with a slight, very slight squeal just before coming to a complete stop...rather annoying for a 7-week old vehicle. On the plus side, stopping in the RDX vs the XC60 is an eye-opener. Being lighter, the RDX should stop faster and it REALLY does! The initial 'grab' is confidence-inspiring and even a bit too grabby at times. Even when new and with new pads @ 35k miles, the XC60 just felt like it wanted to 'keep going' under moderate braking. The RDX is much more secure feeling in this regard.

I'm not completely crazy about the parking brake, speaking of brakes. Seems to allow the vehicle to move quite a bit, even when applied with a heavy foot. I'm going to study that a bit...our driveway is slightly sloped and I park there during the day before retiring to the garage at night. The movement is quite noticeable when parking on the slight incline. I'm liking the hand-activated brake in our C70 much more than the electronic brake in the XC60 or the foot brake in the RDX. I don't reckon I'll be trying any 'flying 180s' in the RDX .
Old 10-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CoachRick
I'll chime in(squeal in) here with a slight, very slight squeal just before coming to a complete stop...rather annoying for a 7-week old vehicle. On the plus side, stopping in the RDX vs the XC60 is an eye-opener. Being lighter, the RDX should stop faster and it REALLY does! The initial 'grab' is confidence-inspiring and even a bit too grabby at times. Even when new and with new pads @ 35k miles, the XC60 just felt like it wanted to 'keep going' under moderate braking. The RDX is much more secure feeling in this regard.

I'm not completely crazy about the parking brake, speaking of brakes. Seems to allow the vehicle to move quite a bit, even when applied with a heavy foot. I'm going to study that a bit...our driveway is slightly sloped and I park there during the day before retiring to the garage at night. The movement is quite noticeable when parking on the slight incline. I'm liking the hand-activated brake in our C70 much more than the electronic brake in the XC60 or the foot brake in the RDX. I don't reckon I'll be trying any 'flying 180s' in the RDX .
Just picked up the RDX this weekend and i love how the brakes work - much better than my tradein 2010 Subaru Outback. I also noticed when applying the parking brake that it moves slightly backward even in my garage. I actually preferred the electric parking brake in the subie. But I will get accustomed to it, I am sure - loving the car so far.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JetsJetsJets
Just picked up the RDX this weekend and i love how the brakes work - much better than my tradein 2010 Subaru Outback. I also noticed when applying the parking brake that it moves slightly backward even in my garage. I actually preferred the electric parking brake in the subie. But I will get accustomed to it, I am sure - loving the car so far.
Interesting...I drove a '12 Outback as a loaner today while the C70 was in the shop. Took a minute to find the electronic brake . Same for the fuel filler cap lever. I'm used to the dash-mounted buttons on the Volvos...the Japanese autos have me reaching to the floor...under the dash...wouldn't want to put that lever within reach, would they?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Early morning brake squeal at first few stops is back... I guess I will have them revisit this when I go for first service.. 2.2k miles
Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by tires38
Early morning brake squeal at first few stops is back... I guess I will have them revisit this when I go for first service.. 2.2k miles
Mine is at any time or temperature...especially when 'feathering' a stop like parking or pulling up next to a neighbor to show off the new ride! It's a pretty insistent high-pitched squeal...certainly something the dealer will get a look at. 1600 miles at this point, but I don't recall the noise in the first 1000 miles or so.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Unfortunately the irregular low-speed low-break pressure squeal does seem pretty common. The dealer did replace the front pads on mine and it went away but I may have started hearing it again - I will listen more closely.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
I had this on a different car long ago. It was due to the brake pad being glazed. That happens when your commute requires you to ride the brakes with stop and go, or mountain driving...I ended up taking the calipers off the car and sanding the pads and rotors with fine grit sandpaper...don't breathe the dust! Then re-bed the brake pads and rotors. This solved the issue. Maybe worth a try?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wizardjjr
I noticed a groaning yesterday. It happened at low speed on a slight incline in a parking lot. It went away and coul d not replicate. I will be keeping an eye on this.
My wife has said she's been hearing a squeal/groan whenever she is braking going into her parking garage at work (going down) but only on certain situations like a hard turn and brake at the same time. I cannot hear it at any other time driving but did hear it this morning as we parked there to go shopping. She said it does it almost all of the time. I heard it twice turning right an braking but tried later when we left the garage and couldn't replicate it.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by QN52
My wife has said she's been hearing a squeal/groan whenever she is braking going into her parking garage at work (going down) but only on certain situations like a hard turn and brake at the same time. I cannot hear it at any other time driving but did hear it this morning as we parked there to go shopping. She said it does it almost all of the time. I heard it twice turning right an braking but tried later when we left the garage and couldn't replicate it.

Any thoughts?
I think it might be ABS related. Ask your wife to approach and turn in slowly. I have a feeling if she creeps in the problem may disappear.
I am going to ask my service advisor next time I am at the dealership.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I must say that I have not heard my RDX create any braking noise and had it since last May. I will keep an ear out and report if it ever develops....
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Instructor

Ok we feel like morons but want to share our answer.

It was the tires squealing on the pavement in the parking garage. I took it down there last night to test and the car behind us made the exact same noise in the same spots. My Dad was with me and also confirmed it was the tires squealing.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ No such thing as being "morons"....I am just happy that your RDX is not having any problems and that you were able to trace the source of the noise.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Pro

Turning on our epoxy garage floor makes a noise that rouses all the nearby animals; but my brake squeal persists, especially light braking as I'm entering a parking spot or the garage. It's pretty consistent as I'm easing from the driveway into the garage or 'micro-braking' during other parking. It's not a huge problem, but it's a little off-putting since the vehicle is so shiny, new and quiet otherwise. It's also guaranteed NOT to squeal when I take it in for 'observation'.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I remember either reading somewhere or somebody telling me that the new RDX uses some special brake pads or rotors for performance. I have a feeling this is what's causing the squeal. It's probably made of some material that hasn't really been tested to much.

I wish I could find or remember where I saw this information to be more helpful. I'll keep looking.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Getting bad squeal now in mornings etc when it's cold. Goes away after driving a bit. Any thoughts? Likely the pads, but seriously.... ?
Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Instructor

I had dropped my RDX off at the dealer last weekend to have a few things looked at. The brake squeal was one of them. They told me that it wasn't normal and replaced my brake pads and re-surfaced the rotors.

It's only been a day so I dont know yet if the problem is gone, but I'll keep my ears open.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Instructor

I'm definitely getting squeal every time I drive the car "cold". It hasn't effected any stopping power but it's pretty obnoxious driving in the office parking lot in a 2013 car and it sounding like a 2003.

Between this and the VCM rumble I'm somewhat disappointed - although I suppose there are plenty of worse things that could be happening besides the occasional rumble and squeal.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
I'm definitely getting squeal every time I drive the car "cold". It hasn't effected any stopping power but it's pretty obnoxious driving in the office parking lot in a 2013 car and it sounding like a 2003.

Between this and the VCM rumble I'm somewhat disappointed - although I suppose there are plenty of worse things that could be happening besides the occasional rumble and squeal.

I share your thoughts 100%. The brake squeal (when releasing the brakes after full stops) bothers me but the engine rumble is making my life almost miserable and I feel kinda stupid that I didn't pick a X3 instead. By the way, Have you heard if the engineers at Acura are trying to fix this issue by programming tweaks? That's the least they can do...
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Instructor

I bedded in my brakes and the cold morning squeal is gone
Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had some minor annoying brake squeel on my RDX, but today I was sitting in stop-and-go for about an hour and heard it most of the ride home. Sounded a little like a bus which was disappointing.

Since the noise seems to be coming from the front, one thing I noticed is there is an Acura brake cover on the front of the RDX made of a pretty tinny material, but is not on the rear brake area.

The "Acura" branded brake cover looks nice, but any thoughts on if it could be a potential issue to cause noise?

Could it be removed to try see if the problem still occurs without it on or is it part of the brake itself?
The following users liked this post:
TBC787 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
Doubt seriously if the "Acura branded brake cover" aka, caliper is the culpert in this case. Pads and rotors are more likely the cause. Don't hear any of these noise so far on my car, or maybe I'm just getting deaf with old age.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ottoman101
I had dropped my RDX off at the dealer last weekend to have a few things looked at. The brake squeal was one of them. They told me that it wasn't normal and replaced my brake pads and re-surfaced the rotors.

It's only been a day so I dont know yet if the problem is gone, but I'll keep my ears open.
I still hear my brakes squeal a least once a week. There is no method to the madness, it's just random. It doesnt matter if it's hot, or cold, indoor or outdoor. But I usually notice it when coming to stop while parking in a parking space. Does anyone else still have this problem?

When they replaced my brakes and resurfaced the rotors (like 5 months ago) it stopped doing it for only a few weeks, but then it came back. I keep thinking it might go away on it's own but it hasn't. I really dont like hearing the brakes on my brand new $40,000 luxury car squealing. It turns some heads when it does it too. This is not good for Acura's image.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Pro

I still hear my brakes squeal a least once a week. There is no method to the madness, it's just random. It doesnt matter if it's hot, or cold, indoor or outdoor. But I usually notice it when coming to stop while parking in a parking space. Does anyone else still have this problem?

When they replaced my brakes and resurfaced the rotors (like 5 months ago) it stopped doing it for only a few weeks, but then it came back. I keep thinking it might go away on it's own but it hasn't. I really dont like hearing the brakes on my brand new $40,000 luxury car squealing. It turns some heads when it does it too. This is not good for Acura's image.
About the same frequency for me. I'm usually surprised when it does happen since it's fairly rare. As you mention, it often occurs during parking...just the time folks are noticing the nice shiny vehicle pulling in . Sure is loud!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
10th Gear

First time poster, just wanted to chime in and support this in case anyone else get's the problem and they think they're crazy.

Right around 2,000 miles the breaks developed a squeal at slow speeds. It's very intermittent and occurs any time of day. But where I can replicate it consistently is pulling into my driveway (making a hard right turn while breaking). I'm going to take it in, along with printouts of these threads. I traded in a 2008 TL for this (was up to 60,000 miles) that never squealed once. I won't accept that a supposed brand new luxury car with 2,000 miles is supposed to sound like a school bus when parking.

However there's also another "issue" that I will mention at the same time and I'ms sure they won't be able to replicate. Consistently in the mornings, the first few times I break and come to a complete stop, with my foot pressed firmly on the break I will hear (and feel through the break) a thud/clang that almost sounds like something metal hitting something else. A completely uneducated guess is it almost sounds like a break caliper releasing quickly. This occurs a couple of times. The car does not move when this happens. It goes away after a few stops.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Instructor

OK I got my car back today from the dealer. Again they replaced my pads and resurfaced the rotors.

It turns out there is a service bulletin procedure for this. My invoice says update pads and new spring. Hopefully I don't hear this again.

Last edited by ottoman101; 05-14-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Isn't this the 2nd time they resurfaced your rotors? I would not like having my rotors resurfaced twice...this will shorten their normal life I think no?
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Isn't this the 2nd time they resurfaced your rotors? I would not like having my rotors resurfaced twice...this will shorten their normal life I think no?
I thought the same thing too, but I usually change the rotors when I change my brakes anyway. So it doesn't bother me.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm still hearing brake squeel at around 5-10 mph consistently. i'm bringing it back in an will ask them to if they can update the pads and new springs.

The loaner RDX we had for the past few days doesn't have any noise issues.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
1st Gear

OK I got my car back today from the dealer. Again they replaced my pads and resurfaced the rotors.

It turns out there is a service bulletin procedure for this. My invoice says update pads and new spring. Hopefully I don't hear this again.
Hello. I am having this issue too. At first i thought it was just when they were wet. Do you happen to have a TSB number? Thank you.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by AFChief
Hello. I am having this issue too. At first i thought it was just when they were wet. Do you happen to have a TSB number? Thank you.
Here you go. PDF attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
B13-020.pdf (254.1 KB, 693 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by GRDX:
5 Acuras (01-13-2014), danny25 (04-15-2014)
Old 06-19-2013, 12:55 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
Unfortunately the irregular low-speed low-break pressure squeal does seem pretty common. The dealer did replace the front pads on mine and it went away but I may have started hearing it again - I will listen more closely.
Do you still have a brake squealing problem, and
Do you have stock rims?

Quick Reply: Brake Squeal