Center Console Latch-Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Center Console Latch-Warning

Warning. Be very gentle with the center console latch. Don't slam it shut. The latch is nothing more than plasitc; one end is under constant spring tension. It will eventually break. To replace the latch is quite easy. Do not lose the spring!! If you do lose it you'll need to hunt one down from a doaner.. The spring isn't avaible alone, but comes as a complete door unit to the tune of 300.00 bucks.

latch part #83417-TX4-A01, $4.79. It was in stock...which means these are getting replaced often.

The joy of plastic.
The following users liked this post:
wsw (10-04-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 12:38 PM
wsw
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo_Green
Warning. Be very gentle with the center console latch. Don't slam it shut. The latch is nothing more than plasitc; one end is under constant spring tension. It will eventually break. To replace the latch is quite easy. Do not lose the spring!! If you do lose it you'll need to hunt one down from a doaner.. The spring isn't avaible alone, but comes as a complete door unit to the tune of 300.00 bucks.

latch part #83417-TX4-A01, $4.79. It was in stock...which means these are getting replaced often.

The joy of plastic.
Thanks for the tip. I've saved your info for future use when mine breaks!
Old 10-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Mine just did. Any dyi on replacement? I guess the spring is inside the top? Or do I need to look everywhere inside for it?
Old 10-06-2019, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Here is the latch and spring. Find that spring!!! You don't need to take the console door apart. You can reinstall the latch and spring from the drivers side with the console door wide open. Look inside the console and in between both seats for the spring. Easy fix. Buy the latch. Place the spring in the position noted in below. The big end of the spring gets lined up into the console lid. Once the spring/pin end is in the hole ALL the way you're very close to being done. The other side gets snapped in; look for "tracks" that the pin rides in while pushing upward. The spring/pin end must be seated completely and held in place before attempting to push up on the opposite side pin. Done.

Fredo where's my spring?

Last edited by Mo_Green; 10-06-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
My wife found the spring! Just need to get by the dealer to pay too much for the latch. Probably covered under our CPO warranty, but who wants to wait hours
for what I can do in a minute.

I did find this:

https://productworldusa.com/products...30313450176582

This site seems to move their pages around, so if someone comes along later and finds the link broken, just look around the site.

Actually cheaper with free shipping from the same company on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123926851221

Now that link will surely be broken in the future. But a search using the terms: 2013-2018 Acura RDX center console lid latch spring

Should get you something. In fact, I am going to gripe directly to Acura Corp about how chicken do do it is that that spring is not included
with the replacement latch. Both local Acura dealer parts departments I called knew exactly what I wanted and that they had one in stock right away.
One of them didn't even need the part number. Both were way more expensive than online. But cheaper & quicker considering shipping. If one is making an online
purchase of cabin filters or something, it might be a good idea to order one to have a spare onhand.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Advanced

I am fortunate to have an Acura dealer that gives me shop pricing for parts. Usually 20% discount. My car is under a CPO Warranty. But, I am not making two trips to a dealer, and waiting even 1/2 hour for a latch fix. No way. The other thing is I refer to do my own work. I don't want extra "jimmy" marks on my interior trim from a tech in a hurry to beat the listed shop time for the job.

In a pinch I am sure that a spring close to what is needed can be found in the Home Depot specialty fasteners bin...maybe.

Good to know that the spring is available from some thieves on ebay as a last resort.

It may be a good idea to buy two of these latches to a have spare around when it breaks again.

Last edited by Mo_Green; 10-07-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 06:31 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
counsel latch now on amazon

Acura is now charging $11.29 for the latch without the spring. The new casting is identical to the failed casting. No changes were made to the new part unless the plastic compostion is different. The spring is still not offered separately.
Amazon has an after market vendor offering a new latch and spring for about $8. So I guess the question is what's it worth to have an original part from the Honda Motor Company that is very likely identical to the failed part?
If you do not have the spring your best bet would be to go with the Amazon aftermarket alternative.
The installation is not hard but it worked best for me from the passenger seat not the driver seat as suggested elsewhere. I suggest you have a plastic or non-marring tool to push the non-sprung, drivers side, pin into its slot. It is an interference fit and requires some presure.
Good Luck