Center Brake Light Modulator Install

Old 06-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Center Brake Light Modulator Install

This 'how to' was originally posted on the forum in response to a member question. I'm reposting in the DYI section as a stand alone just for the convenience all who might want to do this.

Well, that was (fairly) easy. I installed a center brake light flasher in the RDX. I ordered this one:
Amazon Amazon
for a couple of reasons.

1. It's the size of a dime so is easy to stash in the housing
2. It's programmable. If you don't want to bother with that, there are many other modules available. Just keep in mind for this install, smaller is definitely better.

How to:

1. If you purchased a programmable module I suggest you set it up on a table/bench with power (a 9v battery will work if you don't have a 12v supply) and an LED strip or 12v bulb for programming. It's a lot simpler that way than installing the module then having to have someone step on the brake and let off while you're getting the module to do what you want.

2. Once the module is set up the way you want (I set up for five very fast flashes then 3 much slower pulses) it's ready for installation in the 'wing.'

3. Remove the two triangular shaped pieces on each side of the brake light assembly by gently pushing a small screwdriver into the slot then verrry gently levering it so you're pushing the tab toward the outside of the lens. The catch is only roughly 1/16", maybe less so you don't have to push much before you can simply lift the triangular piece out. Remove both Phillips type screws that are now exposed.

4. Pull the light assembly out of the housing. You may have to wiggle it a little but those two screws are the only thing holding it in place. Unfortunately we weren't given an excess if wire (6" of slack would have been helpful) so you might have to borrow someone with skinny fingers to press the latch at the top of the connector and remove the connector from the light housing. Set the lens assembly aside.

5. Most flasher units only require attaching 3 wires. One to the power side of the positive (green in this case) wire, one to the bulb side of that wire and a third to the ground wire. Installation requires cutting the green wire and connecting the two module wires to the appropriate side. Acura did an excellent job of shielding the wire so you'll probably have to use a razor blade or very sharp knife to cut into the taped shielding and remove it for access to the wires.

6. Now that you can see the wires you know there's no room to crimp the connectors supplied with the flasher unit. Soldering is the way to go anyway. With a small wire stripper, very carefully strip the green wire ends (don't cut them or you'll have even less wire to work with). If you have some, slide some shrink tubing over the flasher unit wire and solder the appropriate flasher wires to the two green wire ends. Slide the shrink tubing over your solder joint and shrink it.

7. With the positive wires done it's time to connect the flasher ground wire to the light's ground (black) wire. You can use the T-tap supplied with the unit or strip off a tiny bit of insulation from the ground wire and solder then tape the flasher ground, no cutting needed.

8. Use small zip ties to tidy up your wiring and stuff it along with the module into the brake light cavity. Click the connector back onto the lens and install the lens with the two screws you removed earlier. Don't overtighten!

9. Test your installation with a helper stepping on the brake pedal to be sure the flashing is the way you intended. If not, remove the screws again and reprogram. Pop in the triangular lens pieces and you're....

10. Done!

It sounds more complicated than it is. The entire install (not counting programming on the bench) took about 15 minutes which included warm up time for the soldering iron.

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Awesome!! good job!!
video of it in action!??
Old 06-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Originally Posted by justnspace
Awesome!! good job!!
video of it in action!??
No video of the RDX (yet) but here's a verrrry short YouTube vid I made after installing a similar module on my Avalon.
The module shown 'only' blinks that pattern and is too large to use in the RDX. The modulator I linked to in the 'how to' above can be programmed for dozens of eye catching (and possibly some annoying) combinations.

I'll get video of the RDX flashing and post it soon but it's very similar to the above link.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gadgetjq; 06-05-2017 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 07:07 AM

putting your username to good use! Go Go gadget; brakeS!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Thinking about doing this on my 2014. What LED bulb did you use in the light? Or does the 2017 come with an LED?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Originally Posted by markAZ
Thinking about doing this on my 2014. What LED bulb did you use in the light? Or does the 2017 come with an LED?
LED is standard on the '17 but that doesn't mean you can't do the mod. The module I used is good for up to 8 amps. That's plenty for three or four incandescent bulbs. Four ten watt bulbs (and I'm just guessing at that number) for example would only pull about 3.3 amps. If in doubt, pop one of those incandescents out to check the wattage so you can easily determine the amp draw (remember Ohm's Law?). Or....If the lens is the same size maybe you can find a later model LED strip from a wrecked RDX (or new from a dealership).

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
markAZ (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Flashing RDX Video

Here we go. I've posted a video of the flashing third brake light on my RDX.

The sequence goes by pretty quickly but if you right click on the video and choose "Loop" you'll have a chance to actually focus on the blinking light before the video ends. Also, the video doesn't truly represent what's happening. I suspect the frame rate of the video has something to do with it but the initial 'flicker' you see in the video is actually the faster modulation of the leds. That's followed by several slower blinks that appear much faster in the video. Brightness is also enhanced a little. You can see how bright that lens is by standing behind your own car and having someone step on the brake pedal. It won't be nearly as bright as pictured.

Last edited by Gadgetjq; 06-07-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:38 AM

Gave me epilepsy!! lol

Good job!
Old 06-10-2017, 03:47 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Pretty tight space and can't get at enough of the wiring without cutting off connector and rerouting harness where it comes out. Can the wiring be gotten to upstream?
Old 06-10-2017, 07:48 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Originally Posted by dirleton
Pretty tight space and can't get at enough of the wiring without cutting off connector and rerouting harness where it comes out. Can the wiring be gotten to upstream?
You're right, Acura's engineers didn't cut us any slack with that harness. An online parts fiche shows hatch wiring harnesses running down both the left and right side with connectors for assorted lights, window heaters etc. I can't tell which contains the center light connector. Why they'd run the center light wire all the way down then back up would be a mystery but it's simple enough to check. Just pop out the panels holding the hatch lighting and feel around a little.

I used a little wire cutter to snip the green wire and (very carefully) strip the ends then long needle nose pliers to twist the wires for soldering. It can be done but now that you mention it, cutting off the connector, freeing the wiring up so you have some slack to work with then adding a few inches of wire before tucking it all back in would make things a lot easier.

Last edited by Gadgetjq; 06-10-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Cutting the connector would , presumably, allow for the unit and splice connectors to be tucked in behind the unit. Got to wonder how badly you want a pulse.

Search this Thread