2018 Nav Database Update - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2018 Nav Database Update

Old 07-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

2018 Nav Database Update

I just installed the 2018 NAV database. Thought I'd provide a little information, as I haven't seen much dialog on it.

This install went better than last year's. Last year, holding the audio button in for 2 seconds to bypass having to enter the security code didn't work. It took a call to the dealer to get the code everyone says the vehicle doesn't have (but does) caused a lot of thrashing around on their part before they found it. The remainder of that update took 4 hours due to the system tripping itself up over that code.

The current update takes longer than the 45 minutes stated. About twice that, based on my experience. So if you do run the engine, it's going to be running for a long time. There's a fair amount of time spent by the system downloading the software off of the first DVD along with entering security information, etc. You don't need to leave the engine running if you have a battery charger of 8 amps or so. Put it on the battery. Then push the start button twice without your foot on the brake to put the vehicle into the "run" mode without starting the engine.

Follow the instructions religiously. There are a couple of mistakes or misleading prompts. They tell you to enter the "16 digit password". It's actually the "ACT_CODE" printed on your purchase receipt (including the leading zeros). After the final Step #18, there's no indication the system has done the final reboot unless you're sitting there watching it. The reboot occurs, and both screens read "NO DATA" after that. You can tell it's happened by the fact that the 4 hour database unpack progress counter has started in the upper right corner of the NAV screen. Eject the disk at that point, and you're done. I elected to leave the system on for the 4 hour unpack interval to get that over with before a long trip this weekend.

I realize there's limited value to this update, since the NAV system itself is only marginally useful in the age of smartphones. However, I like to keep things up to date for whatever resale value they have, among other things. Especially since I've got my eye on a '19 now.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

We had the same basic experience, but our 2017 required NO security code.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

The database unpack took about 8 hours total on a drive to Colorado last week as compared to the 4 hours they claim. I thought they'd improved the travel time estimate, which used to be pretty conservative. That turned out not to be the case. It's about 10% higher than it should be. It did keep the address book. However, it wiped out all the Bluetooth devices including the phone settings. What the phone has to do with NAV escapes me. Hard to tell what's changed. Some of the intersections that were wrong in last year's update are still wrong in this one.