AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-405/)
-   -   2018 Nav Database Update (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-405/2018-nav-database-update-971935/)

jcross1231 07-28-2018 01:09 PM

2018 Nav Database Update

I just installed the 2018 NAV database. Thought I'd provide a little information, as I haven't seen much dialog on it.

This install went better than last year's. Last year, holding the audio button in for 2 seconds to bypass having to enter the security code didn't work. It took a call to the dealer to get the code everyone says the vehicle doesn't have (but does) caused a lot of thrashing around on their part before they found it. The remainder of that update took 4 hours due to the system tripping itself up over that code.

The current update takes longer than the 45 minutes stated. About twice that, based on my experience. So if you do run the engine, it's going to be running for a long time. There's a fair amount of time spent by the system downloading the software off of the first DVD along with entering security information, etc. You don't need to leave the engine running if you have a battery charger of 8 amps or so. Put it on the battery. Then push the start button twice without your foot on the brake to put the vehicle into the "run" mode without starting the engine.

Follow the instructions religiously. There are a couple of mistakes or misleading prompts. They tell you to enter the "16 digit password". It's actually the "ACT_CODE" printed on your purchase receipt (including the leading zeros). After the final Step #18, there's no indication the system has done the final reboot unless you're sitting there watching it. The reboot occurs, and both screens read "NO DATA" after that. You can tell it's happened by the fact that the 4 hour database unpack progress counter has started in the upper right corner of the NAV screen. Eject the disk at that point, and you're done. I elected to leave the system on for the 4 hour unpack interval to get that over with before a long trip this weekend.

I realize there's limited value to this update, since the NAV system itself is only marginally useful in the age of smartphones. However, I like to keep things up to date for whatever resale value they have, among other things. Especially since I've got my eye on a '19 now.

SilverRDX2017 07-31-2018 07:29 PM

We had the same basic experience, but our 2017 required NO security code.

jcross1231 08-09-2018 09:12 PM

The database unpack took about 8 hours total on a drive to Colorado last week as compared to the 4 hours they claim. I thought they'd improved the travel time estimate, which used to be pretty conservative. That turned out not to be the case. It's about 10% higher than it should be. It did keep the address book. However, it wiped out all the Bluetooth devices including the phone settings. What the phone has to do with NAV escapes me. Hard to tell what's changed. Some of the intersections that were wrong in last year's update are still wrong in this one.

CDW 09-09-2018 01:14 PM

I just tried to update my 2016 RDX with the 2018 Brown navigation disc. The install started fine, but when it came to time to enter the code the update stopped and gave me a message saying "The map date on this disc is invalid. Please confirm you hae the correct map database and try again". I retried the update process but now when I put in disc 1 I get the same message right away. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to reset the navigation system to default so I can try the update process again, or do I just need to contact the dealer? Thanks in advance for your help!

jcross1231 09-10-2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by CDW (Post 16294423)
I just tried to update my 2016 RDX with the 2018 Brown navigation disc. The install started fine, but when it came to time to enter the code the update stopped and gave me a message saying "The map date on this disc is invalid. Please confirm you hae the correct map database and try again". I retried the update process but now when I put in disc 1 I get the same message right away. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a way to reset the navigation system to default so I can try the update process again, or do I just need to contact the dealer? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sounds like you might have a bad disk.

wsw 02-14-2019 08:19 PM

Bluetooth question upon NAV update

Originally Posted by jcross1231 (Post 16278331)
The database unpack took about 8 hours total on a drive to Colorado last week as compared to the 4 hours they claim. I thought they'd improved the travel time estimate, which used to be pretty conservative. That turned out not to be the case. It's about 10% higher than it should be. It did keep the address book. However, it wiped out all the Bluetooth devices including the phone settings. What the phone has to do with NAV escapes me. Hard to tell what's changed. Some of the intersections that were wrong in last year's update are still wrong in this one.

New member here. 2016 RDX Advance. Just updated the NAV with the 2019 Brown disc update. The Bluetooth connection to my cell phone got wiped out. I tried to get it to connect again but it was a no go. I'm wondering, did you get yours to connect up again and if so, how did you do it? I'm guessing that returning the whole NAV system back to factory settings and then redoing all of the settings all over again would do it. If there would be an easier way to get the Bluetooth back I'd sure like to know about it! Thanks!

wsw 02-15-2019 01:20 PM

Update on Bluetooth after 2019 NAV update

Originally Posted by wsw (Post 16382943)
New member here. 2016 RDX Advance. Just updated the NAV with the 2019 Brown disc update. The Bluetooth connection to my cell phone got wiped out. I tried to get it to connect again but it was a no go. I'm wondering, did you get yours to connect up again and if so, how did you do it? I'm guessing that returning the whole NAV system back to factory settings and then redoing all of the settings all over again would do it. If there would be an easier way to get the Bluetooth back I'd sure like to know about it! Thanks!

I realize that I'm replying to my own post, but I wanted to update the previous post. My smartphone is an Android operating system (Samsung Galaxy). I found a setting "Nearby device scanning" on the phone that I had not turned on. All other Bluetooth settings on the phone had been turned on (Phone visibility, Bluetooth, etc.) Turning on the "Nearby device scanning" option on the phone settings did the trick (the location of that setting was not very obvious on the phone). "HandsFreeLink " from the RDX showed up as an available device. From there on it was just a matter of following the prompts and it paired right up. All the phone calls, texts, phone book, etc. were still there in the NAV system. So no problem with the Bluetooth connection or the phone data after upgrading to the 2019 Brown DVD Update (Map Data Update version: ST007.06.00).

As far as I can tell there is no difference in the user interface, it's still the same old Acura, not Garmin (crap!). The map data is from HERE which is the same company that provides the map data to Garmin and most other vehicle manufacturers. I'll check out the accuracy and changes in the new map data in the coming weeks. https://here.navigation.com/north-america/

jcross1231 02-15-2019 10:38 PM

[QUOTE=wsw;16383337]All the phone calls, texts, phone book, etc. were still there in the NAV system. So no problem with the Bluetooth connection or the phone data after upgrading to the 2019 Brown DVD Update (Map Data Update version: ST007.06.00).

The phone data actually isn't stored in the NAV system. It's stored in the phone and downloaded to the entertainment system when bluetooth connects. That's one of the major failings with this implementation. You can't tell the NAV system to go to any of the addresses in your contact list. They're separate systems.

wsw 02-16-2019 11:44 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

[QUOTE=jcross1231;16383642]

Originally Posted by wsw (Post 16383337)
All the phone calls, texts, phone book, etc. were still there in the NAV system. So no problem with the Bluetooth connection or the phone data after upgrading to the 2019 Brown DVD Update (Map Data Update version: ST007.06.00).

The phone data actually isn't stored in the NAV system. It's stored in the phone and downloaded to the entertainment system when bluetooth connects. That's one of the major failings with this implementation. You can't tell the NAV system to go to any of the addresses in your contact list. They're separate systems.

Ahhh, OK. Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense. So I'd modify my post to say that after the 2019 Brown disc update on my particular model of 2016 RDX my Android smartphone paired up successfully with the car entertainment system. That included downloading the phone data such as texts, phonebook, call history, etc.

The timelines for installation that you and others have given in previous posts were pretty much what I experienced also. I'm sure that the map data in my vehicle was the original data from the date of manufacture which was in 2015, so when I get a chance I'll go out for a drive and check on the new map data accuracy and POI's.

NBP04TL4ME 02-16-2019 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jcross1231 (Post 16271899)
I just installed the 2018 NAV database. Thought I'd provide a little information, as I haven't seen much dialog on it.

This install went better than last year's. Last year, holding the audio button in for 2 seconds to bypass having to enter the security code didn't work. It took a call to the dealer to get the code everyone says the vehicle doesn't have (but does) caused a lot of thrashing around on their part before they found it. The remainder of that update took 4 hours due to the system tripping itself up over that code.

I realize there's limited value to this update, since the NAV system itself is only marginally useful in the age of smartphones. However, I like to keep things up to date for whatever resale value they have, among other things. Especially since I've got my eye on a '19 now.

Honestly surprised to see you doing the updates yearly. I understand the want to keep things up to date, but am guessing the yearly updates are of marginal benefit??? If you skipped a couple of years in between - maybe? Don't take this as a dig - just commentary. It's your vehicle and you can do as you see fit - :thumbsup:

speed817 02-25-2019 08:23 PM

So I received my 2019 brown DVDs today for my 2016 RDX. I inserted the first disk and the screen says 'No data'. Even waited 5+ minutes to see if the update would start but nothing changed. Has anybody ever encountered this???

JBPP723 08-24-2019 09:49 AM

2016 acura update dvd

Originally Posted by speed817 (Post 16389062)
So I received my 2019 brown DVDs today for my 2016 RDX. I inserted the first disk and the screen says 'No data'. Even waited 5+ minutes to see if the update would start but nothing changed. Has anybody ever encountered this???

We received the same message. Vendor contacted finally after letting them know that I am not technology challenged the disc is defective or them are a scam. Received 2nd disc same message. NO DATA.
Acura needs to find another company to contact their business with I as plan to contact our local news media to become involved. This is unacceptable.

jcross1231 08-24-2019 10:02 AM

Oh great. I just got the email that my DVD shipped a couple of days ago. I can hardly wait to have the same experience...

jcross1231 08-29-2019 05:01 PM

The DVDs came and I did the 2019 install yesterday afternoon. Everything went pretty much as planned. There were a couple of "NO DATA" screens that disappeared within a minute or so. Instructions were completely correct this time, pushing the audio button to enter the code worked, etc. The only comment I'd make is that the 45 minute installation time is a bit misleading. That is indeed the case, but it's after spending 25 minutes loading the DVDs into the system. Fortunately, the 45 minute install doesn't need to be tended to while it's running.

Destinations that were programmed before the update remain. Audio settings (tone, source button positions) are cleared, although programmed stations remain. All the phone data is cleared and no phone is paired after the update completes.

I used the battery charger method again rather than leaving the engine running. With lights and all accessories off, the draw appears to be about 6 amps. Part of that is the daytime running lights, which you can't turn off in Accessory 2 mode.