2013-2014 RDX Rearview Backup Camera (Non-tech package)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:04 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2013-2014 RDX Rearview Backup Camera (Non-tech package)

Does anyone think the rearview backup camera on the non-tech version is bad - especially at night? We traded in a lower priced car from another manufacturer, but the camera on there was hugely better - especially at night where everything just blends on this screen...

Thoughts? Observations? Fixes? ?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
The one on my RDX Tech is the first backup camera I've ever used at night. The image is very grainy, but it seems to function fine.

I keep mine on the default view (I think it's wide angle) but you might try using the other views and see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Grainy but usable.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:08 PM
4th Gear

I get that this was a new 2013 and up feature added, especially as an included option for the standard version on the non-tech model, but I can't imagine more people have not had experience with a better camera or screen to notice the difference - and perhaps even the difficult or dangerous experience of backing up at night using it, trying to differentiate between even things like grass and road...

Thoughts? Fixes? ?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, for some of us this is the first car we've had with a back up camera. That's not so difficult to imagine, is it?

A camera is designed to function with a given amount of light. If it's darker than that, it doesn't work as well. You need either a more sensitive camera or more light. Perhaps some driving lights triggered by the backup lights?

The little we've used it at night, it works within my expectations. Perhaps they're not as high as yours.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as backup cameras go, this is not the most sophisticated one. The VW we have can do several things I think put it above this backup camera. It can determine if a spot is big enough for you to parallel park. It can also determine where your car is going depending on your steering wheel's input.

The one thing the RDX has is the ability to look straight down so that you won't run over anything directly behind the rear bumper.

Honestly, I would rather the RDX have the sonar type sensors.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:37 PM
4th Gear

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by markAZ
Well, for some of us this is the first car we've had with a back up camera. That's not so difficult to imagine, is it?

A camera is designed to function with a given amount of light. If it's darker than that, it doesn't work as well. You need either a more sensitive camera or more light. Perhaps some driving lights triggered by the backup lights?

The little we've used it at night, it works within my expectations. Perhaps they're not as high as yours.
markAZ, your response was unnecessarily argumentative. I am sorry, but I am only asking for constructive feedback and discussions here. If you don't like the subject matter, or cannot positively and nicely contribute, please just move on.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Douflag
As far as backup cameras go, this is not the most sophisticated one. The VW we have can do several things I think put it above this backup camera. It can determine if a spot is big enough for you to parallel park. It can also determine where your car is going depending on your steering wheel's input.

The one thing the RDX has is the ability to look straight down so that you won't run over anything directly behind the rear bumper.

Honestly, I would rather the RDX have the sonar type sensors.
Douflag, thanks, I had not seen VW, but have seen several others, including GM ones that are better. The night vision sensors on the non-tech RDX camera seem especially lacking in comparison to others, and that's where the camera may be most needed. I have not experienced the tech package camera to know if it's better; I only know the tech package screen is better.

You are also right, it is terrible that Acura dropped the back-up sensors from the line - I have no idea why... FYI, you can get good aftermarket ones installed for a few hundred only, and they look and work seamlessly. I understand some dealerships even contract with folks so the dealership sales can offer and sell you some installed - just not direct from Acura. Thanks for your response!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Acura_Omen
Douflag, thanks, I had not seen VW, but have seen several others, including GM ones that are better. The night vision sensors on the non-tech RDX camera seem especially lacking in comparison to others, and that's where the camera may be most needed. I have not experienced the tech package camera to know if it's better; I only know the tech package screen is better.

You are also right, it is terrible that Acura dropped the back-up sensors from the line - I have no idea why... FYI, you can get good aftermarket ones installed for a few hundred only, and they look and work seamlessly. I understand some dealerships even contract with folks so the dealership sales can offer and sell you some installed - just not direct from Acura. Thanks for your response!
NP. I'm not sure how different the screen is between non-tech and tech, but I thought it was only a size difference. I doubt they would use different spec cameras.

Might I suggest changing the reverse bulbs to those crazy bright LEDs? I think someone in this forum has done that with their MDX and got some decent results.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 AM
3rd Gear

I'd have Acura check the camera. Most of these cameras, I believe, have an infrared light for night. We have the tech package and it seems fine. I also have a camera on our 2010 Odyssey that pops up in the rearview mirror. It has to have infrared lighting has it gets very bright at night it seems our the brightness auto jacks way up at night.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
The backup camera is VERY light sensitive.
We have a tech package and when i'm backing in the driveway its blurry but as soon as the motion light comes on the camera flips to SUPER high quality (comparitively speaking).

You might want to invest in some insanely bright LED reverse lights to aid the camera then worry about the camera itself.