U-Haul Hitch Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U-Haul Hitch Installed

I got my U-Haul hitch installed today. I was a bit worried and debated purchasing one and doing a self install but I am very happy with how it came out. I paid just over $200 out the door for the hitch and labor. Here are some pictures of it installed. There is no ugly U-Haul sticker showing! Does anyone know if Acura sells the hitch logo cover and if it would fit?

U-Haul Hitch Installed-rfkw3xk.jpg

U-Haul Hitch Installed-0igrd5q.jpg

U-Haul Hitch Installed-4u59mli.jpg
Old 05-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by lunat1c
I got my U-Haul hitch installed today. I was a bit worried and debated purchasing one and doing a self install but I am very happy with how it came out. I paid just over $200 out the door for the hitch and labor. Here are some pictures of it installed. There is no ugly U-Haul sticker showing! Does anyone know if Acura sells the hitch logo cover and if it would fit?
Just watch with the ground clearance on steep driveways, etc That is the one problem with Uhaul and some other 3rd party hitches, they hang down fairly far. Honda makes an OEM one (you pay a lot more for, but worth it) for the Oddy minivan that they actually take the rear bumper off to install, but you get much more ground clearance, about 3 inches more at least.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Quick question, what is the height (in inches) from the ground to the bottom of the receiver? Is that a class-III, 2" opening receiver? Thanks!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lunat1c
Does anyone know if Acura sells the hitch logo cover and if it would fit?
Yeah, it's from the OEM hitch kit but you can still buy it separately. Part number 08L92-STK-20016. Just be aware it's only a rubber insert and isn't actually pinned in place or anything. If you scrape the hitch on an incline or something it'll just pull it right out. Hence the reason I know it's sold separately...
As for fit, I would think it's a standard size so I don't think you'd have issues. I could go check the dimensions at some point if you're still interested.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Get this rack
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swagman-XTC-2-Cross-Country-2-Bike-Rack-64670-New-/400694360037?pt=US_Car_Truck_Racks&hash=item5d4b3eb7e5
Old 05-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Re: my post above, I just checked and the inner dimensions of the Acura hitch opening on mine is 1.25" square. If yours is close to that then the rubber cover should work.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scheffy
Re: my post above, I just checked and the inner dimensions of the Acura hitch opening on mine is 1.25" square. If yours is close to that then the rubber cover should work.
The problem is you really need a Class 3 hitch, 2.00" inch square opening. Many more accessories fit that 2 inch properly. personally I would never go with a small 1.25 inch.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

If you're focusing on accessories and need a 2" opening, then yeah, the Acura one won't work. Personally, I only wanted mine for towing small trailers. In that sense the only thing that's limited me hasn't been the 1.25" receiver but the relatively low towing capacity and allowable tongue weight specified for the vehicle itself. I didn't see much point getting a Class III if I could only ultimately pull 1500 lbs. As a sidenote, keep in mind any towing component, be it the hitch, ball, ball mount, whatever, is only rated for that component itself and not the entire system, and the system is limited by the lowest-rated component. In our case the limiting component is pretty much always the RDX itself. I could shoehorn a Class V hitch rated for 15,000 lbs. onto an RDX but the towing limits set by Acura still apply.

Another point is that it looked to me that the actual mounting of the Acura hitch is more substantial than the aftermarket ones. The Draw-Tite and similar hitches I've seen only bolt to the bottom of the car. The Acura one actually has big brackets and long M12 bolts that pass down through the floor of the cargo area to the underside of the car. Probably overkill for a Class I, but I definitely don't have to have to worry about anything happening if I'm hauling a trailer full of stuff worth more than the car itself.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scheffy
If you're focusing on accessories and need a 2" opening, then yeah, the Acura one won't work. Personally, I only wanted mine for towing small trailers. In that sense the only thing that's limited me hasn't been the 1.25" receiver but the relatively low towing capacity and allowable tongue weight specified for the vehicle itself. I didn't see much point getting a Class III if I could only ultimately pull 1500 lbs. As a sidenote, keep in mind any towing component, be it the hitch, ball, ball mount, whatever, is only rated for that component itself and not the entire system, and the system is limited by the lowest-rated component. In our case the limiting component is pretty much always the RDX itself. I could shoehorn a Class V hitch rated for 15,000 lbs. onto an RDX but the towing limits set by Acura still apply.

Another point is that it looked to me that the actual mounting of the Acura hitch is more substantial than the aftermarket ones. The Draw-Tite and similar hitches I've seen only bolt to the bottom of the car. The Acura one actually has big brackets and long M12 bolts that pass down through the floor of the cargo area to the underside of the car. Probably overkill for a Class I, but I definitely don't have to have to worry about anything happening if I'm hauling a trailer full of stuff worth more than the car itself.
Yes, you have to follow Acura's limits on towing, but the point is a Class 3 is the most common hitch, esp for accessories/bike stuff. The price Acura charges is substantially higher than the good aftermarket hitch options. Don't forget, Acura doesn't make that factory hitch, one of those companies you mentioned is making it for them. The aftermarket ones that bolt underneath are just as good and solid, the only issue is that you may not have as much rear ground clearance.

As for pricing.. You can buy your own name brand hitch, have it shipped free to your house from the internet and install it yourself all for nearly 75% less than the Acura dealer will charge you. You will literally save $400 to $500. The install yourself even if you are slightly handy would take 30 to 60 min max. Under 30 if you have a lift or ramps. I remember Honda and Toyota dealers wanted $600 to $800 for their hitches, Acura was similar.. No thanks

Last edited by danmangto; 05-09-2014 at 07:25 PM.