RDX vs. Outback

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:07 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX vs. Outback

Hi. Has anyone here seriously considered Subaru Outback before settling on RDX? Or recently moved from Outback to RDX? What was your rationale/reason for your decision? Thank you.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
jena...Before buying my Rav4 (2 years ago), I had considered the Outback and too it for a test drive. I eventually steered away from it because of the following reasons:

1. Didn't like the interior design....too bland for me
2. CVT transmission
3. Inherent vibration at 110 km/h that was wide spread with no know solution. I haven't followed the Outback forums but it was quite known and owners were really annoyed.

I was mainly drawn to the Subaru because its AWD system which is better than that of the RDX. I since traded my Rav4 for the RDX and never looked back. In my opinion, if you are debating between these 2 models and AWD is not a huge factor for you, I'd say that the RDX would be a better option. Its got a better handling, is higher off the ground, a better interior, a better transmission (even the non-CVT tranny is a 5 speed except for the manual of course).

Its ultimately a decision that you will need to make for yourself and I highly recommend you do a few test drive of each vehicle, and preferable, back to back if possible.

Best of luck
Old 07-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
I seriously considered both the RDX and the Outback. They are both very capable vehicles, and it would largely depend on one's wants and needs as to which is better. Both should offer above average reliability and will hold their value well. I found both cars to be very comfortable, but neither is particularly sporty. Both cars are manufactured here in the US.

From a size perspective, the Outback is narrower but a bit longer. The new 2013 Outback has been improved, with updated looks, a nicer interior, a new base engine and far better CVT transmission. Fuel economy of the four cylinder is outstanding at 24 city/30 hwy. The power of the base four is sufficient, but it will feel downright slow compared to the RDX. The H6 is the engine to have if you prize acceleration over fuel economy, but the six feels a little nose heavy and is paired to an old school 5-speed automatic that is slow to respond and not terribly refined. The chassis is improved with better handling and a more comfortable ride. Subaru's AWD system is in another league, and when equipped with a good set of snow tires make the Outback nearly unstoppable in the white stuff. Subaru's new Eyesight system is pretty trick and offers safety technology typically found in much pricier vehicles. The Outback is priced aggressively, and dealers will negotiate even on the 2013 model. Great deals can be had on 2012 leftovers if you're looking for a bargain and don't mind passing on the updates. The chassis vibration issue Weather mentioned has been addressed and is no longer an issue.

The RDX is the better looking vehicle IMO. The Acura brand comes with both more prestige and with more baggage. Acura's cylinder deactivation is brilliant, but it's AWD system is anything but. The RDX's back seat feels larger, even if the numbers are pretty similar to the Outback's. I found Acura's CP to be far more user friendly. But it's well documented that if you live in the wrong part of the country, inventories are low and deals virtually nonexistent. It shouldn't matter much with these two vehicles, but Acura offers a better warranty on the RDX.

Specs comparison below. Good luck!

http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101426821|suv&veh2=200425511|wagon&show=0|1| 2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=4337873
The following users liked this post:
TampaJack (07-29-2012)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Rod...Thanks for the thorough post. I must go check out the 2013 and see how their interior improved. My feedback to Jena was based on a 2011 model year at the time.

I am still not a fan of the CVTs, regardless of how they improved it...but that is just me.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
HotRodW, why are you getting rid of your Outback? Did you choose the Q5 over the RDX or are you still looking for an RDX?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
Rod...Thanks for the thorough post. I must go check out the 2013 and see how their interior improved. My feedback to Jena was based on a 2011 model year at the time.

I am still not a fan of the CVTs, regardless of how they improved it...but that is just me.
In general I'm with you on CVT's, especially older Nissan units. This new version really is dramatically improved, however. In manual mode it does a nice imitation of a conventional 6-speed auto, and it even has paddle shifters to improve the experience. It's hard to argue with 24 mpg city on a vehicle with permanent AWD.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Last year we had made the decision to buy the Outback once the '13 model came out, but then was seduced away by the '13 RDX. Once my wife and I saw and drove the RDX, it was no contest. I won't state all our reasons because Rod did it so thoroughly and eloquently. So... I'll just say "What he said!".

The RDX is a real step up, and that's not a knock on the Outback, it's just that the RDX moves us into the luxury zone. We wouldn't have paid the extra upgrade cost for, say, the Lexus RX 350, but the RDX base model really wasn't that much more money. So for us it was a no-brainer. (Since we live in Florida, AWD isn't a big need.)
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
HotRodW, why are you getting rid of your Outback? Did you choose the Q5 over the RDX or are you still looking for an RDX?
Actually, I have a Forester - I call her "Frosty", and my wife drives the Q5. Frosty has been ultra reliable, she's a is a great winter vehicle and was an ideal daily driver when I had my "fair weather" car ('04 G35 coupe). I sold the G35 last year with less than 12,000 miles, and I've been missing the fun it provided. So I decided some time ago I was going to get an all purpose daily driver that would also keep me entertained. Months of research and countless test drives later, I finally made a decision last Friday and placed an order for an X1. Ironically, the X1 isn't out yet, so I wasn't able to drive one beforehand, although I got a feel for the powertrain by driving the X3 and 3-Series. I found just one available allocation in my area, so I had to order now if I wanted to enjoy it for a few months before winter. The deal is conditional upon a test drive, so the deposit is refundable if I don't like the car for any reason. (More details here if you're interested https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/where-all-rdxs-how-many-red-864074/)

The RDX was one of several finalist from a ridiculously long list of potential vehicles, and I nearly pulled the trigger on it a couple times. But the dealer in my area still has no inventory and they won't negotiate much at all - offering just $500 off MSRP and 10% off the accessory wheels. (As I mentioned in another post, he offered me an MDX for less than the price of an RDX Tech.) Plus it's a 50-mile drive one way for service.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HotRodW
... I call her "Frosty"
Nice to see I am not the only one who names its vehicle
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I was going mountain biking or hiking at the trail head alot I would get the outback, it's more rugged and you don't have to worry about dents on the lower panels.

Going to the mall with strollers in the back, RDX looks better.

I sat in an outback with wood trim and it made me feel kind of old. Subaru AWD > RDX AWD