RDX crooked steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013 | 03:14 PM
Intermediate

RDX crooked steering column?

I searched for threads covering this and wasn't able to find any. If this is a repeat, my apologies. Also, this is my first post, so be gentle.

I've had my 2013 RDX Base for about 3 months now and love it but have just noticed a couple of things. Not sure if these issues are new, or I am just noticing them.

First, the steering column appears to be crooked. Also, there appears to be a gap between the top of the gauges and the bottom of the dash. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm attempting to attach photos.

Thanks in advance!
Name:  image_zpsbaefd3f6.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  72.2 KB

Name:  image_zpse4fad7f1.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  image_zpsf4e6884a.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  image_zps4cfbc63f.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  53.8 KB
Old 07-28-2013 | 06:14 PM
Instructor

Mine does not have the gap at the top of the instrument cluster. I think the plastic trim ring on yours is not installed properly - it is intended to cover the gap and should fit tightly to the bottom of the dash pad. Try pushing it upwards into place - if it won't move or does not stay in place make the dealer fix it. I have not noticed an offset in the steering column but many cars are designed with an offset due to the location of the steering gear/rack.

BTW - welcome and congrats on your purchase. This board has a lot of nice people posting and you don't need to worry about getting beat up. These are great cars and the trim ring is a minor issue that should be an easy fix.

Last edited by Dorsey; 07-28-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2013 | 07:59 PM
Intermediate

The trim piece will not move. I am taking it to the dealership this week.

I love this car. It is my second Acura and I owned 2 Hondas previously. I wouldn't shop another brand. Thanks for the advice and the warm welcome.
Old 07-28-2013 | 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Welcome indeed!! We are all fanatics about our Acura's and I am sure you will enjoy your time here and the advices you will receive.
Old 08-01-2013 | 04:04 PM
Instructor

Mine is totally fine. I always bring my car back to the dealership if I have any question or concern within the warranty period.
Old 08-09-2013 | 09:36 AM
2nd Gear

My new 2014 RDX has a crooked steering column just like your picture has shown. I bought the car just 3 weeks ago. I found the problem the 2nd day and brought it back the dealer (pohanka aucura, claimed #1 acura selling in US). They said I'm the first one ever reporting this problem. Sure enough, they checked another Eval car and it has the same problem too. The service person said there's nothing they can do about it. Bummer. Basically what they meant is just get used to it. Glad to find this post, so I know more people is having this issue. it's the car, not us.

Because of the crooked steering column, I feel the steering wheel is also tilted to the left as well like 5 degrees so I have to hold the wheel when driving on the highway at high speed. The loaner car TL they gave me doesn't have this problem. The TL is perfectly straight without even the need to hold the wheel.

The dealer check the alignment but said nothing wrong with it. But it still bugs me now after 3 weeks. Anyone else experienced the same?

Thanks,
LS
Old 08-09-2013 | 01:58 PM
Instructor

I think you have two issues. The offset or crooked steering column is something that can't be changed. Like lots of cars, it was built that way because of space limitations. Most people don't notice it or get used to it. The problem of pulling at higher speed is not right and can be fixed. First make sure it pulls on different roads - sometimes the crown of the road causes it and if you only drive that one stretch it may be deceptive. Alignment is a likely culprit but you have had that checked. Tire pressue is another potential - check it with a gauge or use the display to make sure one side is not low and/or the other is not overfilled. Beyond that it gets more complex (particularly if you have AWD) and the dealer should get involved. My next step would be to rotate the tires front to back to see if that solves it. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2013 | 11:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ryans_tsx
I searched for threads covering this and wasn't able to find any. If this is a repeat, my apologies. Also, this is my first post, so be gentle.

I've had my 2013 RDX Base for about 3 months now and love it but have just noticed a couple of things. Not sure if these issues are new, or I am just noticing them.

First, the steering column appears to be crooked. Also, there appears to be a gap between the top of the gauges and the bottom of the dash. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm attempting to attach photos.

Thanks in advance!

Now that you said that I notice the same thing on my RDX. THe steering wheel appears to be fine and the car tracks fine. Oh well...
Old 11-17-2014 | 12:14 AM
1st Gear

Angry RDX 2013 croked steering wheel built date 2013/02

Crooked steering Wheel ,yes i have the same problem problem and it drives me crazy ! Canadian model tech 2013 built in 2013/02. Took to Acura ste- julie in Canada of course they say no problem......Anyways almost 2 years since i bought the car and i keep noticing ALOT of engeneering problems ,suspension etc.....
And a Bulshitt customer service from the dealer : They just sell cars and they don`t know their product...I am temted to trade it in for a 2015 Honda crv touring that is loaded with options for the same trade in value.
LOTS OF PROBLEMS WITH THE ACURA RDX 2013 AND NO COMPANY SUPPORT FOR A VEHICULE THATS BASICALLY THE SAME PRICE AS A BMW X3 OR AND AUDI Q5....AND THE NEW LEXUS MODEL....
Old 11-17-2014 | 05:55 AM
Suzuka Master

I noticed this too on gf's 14 RDX Tech. Really odd how Acura can overlook things like this. Sure it surely just a cosmetic thing, but really, it sticks out as soon as you look at car. Also makes it hard to determine the wheel is straight. I use the A symbol on the wheel and line it up with gauge cluster and found the steering wheel was also off center when we got the car. Had them adjust the alignment to get wheel straight, but column still looks like crap.
Old 11-17-2014 | 07:10 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KeithL
I noticed this too on gf's 14 RDX Tech. Really odd how Acura can overlook things like this. Sure it surely just a cosmetic thing, but really, it sticks out as soon as you look at car. Also makes it hard to determine the wheel is straight. I use the A symbol on the wheel and line it up with gauge cluster and found the steering wheel was also off center when we got the car. Had them adjust the alignment to get wheel straight, but column still looks like crap.
It is the same on the TSX. The column trim piece is crooked.

I wonder if there is a technical reason for that, but I can't seem to find one.
Old 11-17-2014 | 10:07 PM
Advanced

On my 2015,it tracked perfectly straight if you let go of the wheel driving on the freeway,but the wheel was crooked.The dealer got it fixed perfect,so it still tracks straight,yet the wheel is centered now.

The service manager just said the alignment was great,just the wheel was off center,so there must be a way to adjust it for proper centering.

I'm glad it's ok now...even though it's such a minor problem,it drove me nuts.
Old 11-18-2014 | 02:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ossaguy
On my 2015,it tracked perfectly straight if you let go of the wheel driving on the freeway,but the wheel was crooked.The dealer got it fixed perfect,so it still tracks straight,yet the wheel is centered now.

The service manager just said the alignment was great,just the wheel was off center,so there must be a way to adjust it for proper centering.

I'm glad it's ok now...even though it's such a minor problem,it drove me nuts.

Did they say how they fixed it? if one dealer can do it, all of them should be able to fix that issue too, can you post a picture? thanks.
Old 11-18-2014 | 08:06 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Did they say how they fixed it? if one dealer can do it, all of them should be able to fix that issue too, can you post a picture? thanks.
You are confusing a crooked steering wheel (easily fixed with an alignment) with the crooked trim (which can't be fixed easily).
Old 11-18-2014 | 08:35 PM
Advanced

No,they didn't say how,only that they did,without affecting the alignment.

I originally asked if the wheel was splined to the steering column,and If it was,could it be off a spline or two.They said it's not made that way.
The trim piece on mine was always ok.
Old 11-19-2014 | 10:36 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I do have the minor trim gap at the top of the speed gauges (last photo in starting post). I don't think of it as a major problem at least for now. Did the OP get it fixed already?
Old 11-21-2014 | 07:09 PM
Cruisin'

crooked

I've also noticed the crooked steering column on my wifes 14 RDX Tech. When I first saw it, I thought I was just seeing things, then tried to adjust the column in some hope of correcting it...thinking maybe I didn't adjust it properly the first time...only to realize, its made that way.

We dont have the gap above the cluster and also our RDX tracks pretty straight on the roads.

Other than that, 1yr later and 5k miles, shes been really happy with the RDX and so have I.