Parked 2015 RDX won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parked 2015 RDX won't start!

I opted to park my 2015 RDX in my garage while I await for them to fix the recalled airbags. They put me in a Dodge Journey rental which has me appreciating the RDX smooth ride, bucket seats, and the feel of the wheel more. Only plus with the Journey is my tall five year old has more legroom in the back whereas he looked cramped in the RDX. Luckily for him since I barely have any shot gun passengers that seat is pulled all the way to the front. But I digress. It'd been almost a month since I got on the rental and today I tried to start the RDX for the first time and it wouldn't start. I tried both keys and nothing gives.

I'm wondering if I should call the dealership or wait until they confirm they are ready to switch out my airbags (which at this rate looks like it might not happen this year). Since I am technically not supposed to drive the car, does it matter if it can't start right now? I didn't want to take it anywhere....I just missed driving it and wanted to just let it run.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Does it crank over, and not start, or does nothing happen at all? Do you have access to a volt meter? Check to see if the battery is dead.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
There is a parasitic battery drain while parked keeping computer, settings.
However,sitting for a month really shouldn't kill the good battery.Battery power will drop but shouldn't drop that much.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by colt427
There is a parasitic battery drain while parked keeping computer, settings.
However,sitting for a month really shouldn't kill the good battery.Battery power will drop but shouldn't drop that much.
Don't really know with Hondas, I know Toyotas seem to go dead really fast, 2 weeks maybe...

If it clicks really fast, weak battery, too weak...

Nothing at all, dead....

If the interior lights work, it's not dead, but may ne very weak, see how bright they look, break lights too...

But this is likely your culprit, go check it out...
Old 06-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Advanced

The lights do come on. I had a friend jump start it this morning and the lights flickered a little bit and then it came on. We had it run for 5 min and then I tried to start it again and the lights jut flickered whereas before nothing was happening. Probable because we didn't let it run long enough to recharge everything and he says maybe it's the alternator. I'll try jump starting it again later tonight and let it idle for 15 min or longer and see if that cures it, otherwise I may have to call the dealer.

Ugh...if they'd make me a good deal on a loaded '16 I'd trade this one in for something I can drive instead of having it sit in the garage. I'm so sick of driving through Dodge.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GurlRDX
The lights do come on. I had a friend jump start it this morning and the lights flickered a little bit and then it came on. We had it run for 5 min and then I tried to start it again and the lights jut flickered whereas before nothing was happening. Probable because we didn't let it run long enough to recharge everything and he says maybe it's the alternator. I'll try jump starting it again later tonight and let it idle for 15 min or longer and see if that cures it, otherwise I may have to call the dealer.

Ugh...if they'd make me a good deal on a loaded '16 I'd trade this one in for something I can drive instead of having it sit in the garage. I'm so sick of driving through Dodge.
I bought this item just in case my battery ever is low to start for whatever reason.
Vehicle to vehicle jump starting isn't really good for today's vehicles with all the computer crap.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB40-Ult...um+car+starter
Old 06-11-2016, 04:53 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
From the looks of it, Acura is extremely unlikely to offer a trade into a newer model. If you do trade, it'll be on your dime. So not an appealing prospect at present. It seems like the inflators kits are arriving sooner than thought. I already got mine changed last month. But you may be on the last priority since you already have a rental. The other option is to try negotiating with the rental car company for a different car. That is definitely possible and could help in your situation.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Let the car sit. When it doesn't start, have them come by and tow it to the dealership and tell them to replace the battery. It'll be dead by then.
Old 06-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
I opted to park my 2015 RDX in my garage while I await for them to fix the recalled airbags. They put me in a Dodge Journey rental which has me appreciating the RDX smooth ride, bucket seats, and the feel of the wheel more. Only plus with the Journey is my tall five year old has more legroom in the back whereas he looked cramped in the RDX. Luckily for him since I barely have any shot gun passengers that seat is pulled all the way to the front. But I digress. It'd been almost a month since I got on the rental and today I tried to start the RDX for the first time and it wouldn't start. I tried both keys and nothing gives.

I'm wondering if I should call the dealership or wait until they confirm they are ready to switch out my airbags (which at this rate looks like it might not happen this year). Since I am technically not supposed to drive the car, does it matter if it can't start right now? I didn't want to take it anywhere....I just missed driving it and wanted to just let it run.
For cars that are parked for too long, I find it helps if you turn on the engine for a couple minutes each week to make sure the battery doesn't die.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rockyboy
For cars that are parked for too long, I find it helps if you turn on the engine for a couple minutes each week to make sure the battery doesn't die.
That's worse.
It takes a lot of battery power to start the engine, Starting and running the engine a few minutes will drain the battery even more.Plus few minute running it's no good for oil which will have condensation.
The following users liked this post:
MA73 (01-25-2024)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:04 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by colt427
That's worse.
It takes a lot of battery power to start the engine, Starting and running the engine a few minutes will drain the battery even more.Plus few minute running it's no good for oil which will have condensation.
But it is a chick magnet. That way he can sit in the bestest car evar in his Costco Calvin Kleins and pose for 3/10's that he attracts.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
But it is a chick magnet. That way he can sit in the bestest car evar in his Costco Calvin Kleins and pose for 3/10's that he attracts.

If you're a lesbian!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Comfy
From the looks of it, Acura is extremely unlikely to offer a trade into a newer model. If you do trade, it'll be on your dime. So not an appealing prospect at present. It seems like the inflators kits are arriving sooner than thought. I already got mine changed last month. But you may be on the last priority since you already have a rental. The other option is to try negotiating with the rental car company for a different car. That is definitely possible and could help in your situation.
The dealer has been trying to trade me in since I went to get the rental from them. They offered me $25K for my car (base 2015 with 32K miles already that I bought new with 8 miles on it) and get me into a base 2016 for $35K. The manager told me they'd offer me $1,750 down payment from the $25K they were given to help RDX owners trade but I found out from a thread on here that is the $750 rebate and $1K Acura finance. They do have a used fully loaded 2016 with 5K miles but asking $41K.

As for the rental, that was the only SUV they had when I went in...all others were sedans and compact cars. They had a wait list for the SUVs too.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
Let the car sit. When it doesn't start, have them come by and tow it to the dealership and tell them to replace the battery. It'll be dead by then.
I'm inclined to do just this and have them tow it when they have the airbags in stock...hopefully not too very long. Otherwise having them tow it now only to have it sit at the garage again until they are ready to swap the airbags might defeat the purpose, especially if it is not advisable to let it run a few minutes every week.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:43 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
32,000 miles for just over a year old car? That's a lot of mileage for sure.
If you really like the 2016 models you can trade, but the incentives don't look too good. Also in my opinion that is a lot of money to spend on what essentially is the same car (and you already have it). If you are getting the fully loaded version that's still okay. Just keep bugging them for a different car, may be they will get tired of you and give you an MDX or TLX something like that meanwhile. .
BTW how much did you pay for your original RDX?

Last edited by Comfy; 06-13-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Comfy
32,000 miles for just over a year old car? That's a lot of mileage for sure.
If you really like the 2016 models you can trade, but the incentives don't look too good. Also in my opinion that is a lot of money to spend on what essentially is the same car (and you already have it). If you are getting the fully loaded version that's still okay. Just keep bugging them for a different car, may be they will get tired of you and give you an MDX or TLX something like that meanwhile. .
BTW how much did you pay for your original RDX?
For recalls they are only doing rentals, not loaners from their stock. Plus on loaners they have a mileage cap and I get unlimited miles with the rental. And as you can see, I drive a lot!...I've owned the car for 2 years though next month so roughly 15K miles/year between road trips and I was doing a lot of aftercare pick up and drop off but have a babysitter now who drops off my son so that shaved an hr off my daily commute. I paid around $32K on the one I have and I do agree there is no difference between the '15 & '16 other than the power lift gate which isn't a game changer for me. The loaded one I saw sure would be nice but a true upgrade would be the MDX....that is out of my price range for right now.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I'm inclined to do just this and have them tow it when they have the airbags in stock...hopefully not too very long. Otherwise having them tow it now only to have it sit at the garage again until they are ready to swap the airbags might defeat the purpose, especially if it is not advisable to let it run a few minutes every week.
Let it sit until the airbags are in. In the meantime, talk to other dealers - your dealer seems to have high prices.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same situation I'm in with my 2015. I've been waiting over 3 months with a Dodge Journey rental which I'm sick of, and my RDX died after a month. I think it would be best to wait until they get around to replacing the airbag inflators, because they'll tow the car and power it up at the dealership.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:25 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2014. Just boosted her and it is all good.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's always a good idea to put a trickle charger on any vehicle that's going to sit for a while.
The following 2 users liked this post by alexderaven:
MA73 (01-25-2024), YeuEmMaiMai (08-06-2016)