Motor Trend comparing CR-V & RDX

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:15 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Motor Trend comparing CR-V & RDX

Having both a 15CR-V and a 16 RDX in my driveway this article caught my eye. (link at very bottom)

I drive them back to back twice a week and there are some other differences that they don't mention. Here would be my top 7

1. Quietness. The RDX is MUCH quieter.
2. The CR-V is sharper feeling is several ways. Low speed tip-in acceleration, ride is not as soft, & steering feedback. I really wish there was a sport version of the RDX that gave those kinds of driver feedback.
3. Step in height. My RDX is AWD and the CRV is FWD. The step in height of the RDX is noticeably higher.
4. Headlight performance. The RDX wins 10 time over. The LEDs w/LED fogs absolutely rule. Best lighting I've ever had. (we had a 14 MDX too)
5. Classy looks. The CRV is ok looking. But the RDX shape and color is unmistakably premium / classy looking.
6. Engine power. The tip-in feeling of the CRV is significantly more crisp from 0-15mph. But put your foot down and the party is over right there. The RDX is the opposite. Tip-in power is lacking. But put your foot down and the party starts. Honestly I wish the tip-in tuning of the RDX was sharp and responsive like the CRV.
7. Transmissions. The CVT in the CRV is good but it still needs refinement. When you push the throttle to a moderate or heavy level, the engine goes past max TQ for the condition and so its not accelerating as good as it could. I suspect they tuned it that way so people would get the impression that its doing its best. I've learned that going 1/2 throttle in "S" and then after its built some speed I can shift into "D" and get a very noticeable boost in acceleration.
The 6 speed in the RDX is ok. Two things I'd change is how long it stays in 1st and much crisper shifts. The RDX is in 1st gear such little time that in everyday driving (where your turning 90deg) its in 1st gear such a short time that its about pointless. Only if accelerating in a straight line and with moderate throttle can you ever truly use first gear and put a smile on your face. When downshifting the rdx for engine braking it ought to be smooth. Instead the car slows then stops slowing then slows again. I'm sue they have tuned it for transmission longevity but the tuners at Honda/Acura don't seem to comprehend what engine braking is and how it should feel.

Don't get me wrong.. I take the RDX every chance I get. I just wish there are some things they would have done differently.

RDX vs. CR-V: 5 Reasons to Splurge on the Acura and Honda
Old 12-01-2015, 10:17 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
My in-laws were looking for a "cute ute" to purchase and decided against Honda CR-V because of its "egg" shape. The luxury brands was too much money and tech for them as they are closing in on 80 years old. They went for a 2015 Toyota Rav4 LX; which, is pretty much a low tech box with wheels even compared to my 08 RDX.

I can see myself picking a brand new CR-V -vs- an used RDX as a choice instead of new -vs- new.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Motor trend also posted an article on the 2016 RDX in which they compare it often to the Lexus and BMW offerings. I get the feeling reading the article that the author doesn't like admitting the RDX is the better vehicle in most comparisons. As if impossible Acura could put together such an incredible package for the price. My gripes with the 2016 RDX are minimal and honestly if Acura had better wheel options they probably couldn't keep them on the lots
Old 12-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Advanced

I agree on the wheel choices. The 16... did they let their let their one eye cat spit on some paper and say.. hey lets make that our new wheel design?

Here is the MT article and the track numbers:

Link--> 2016 Acura RDX AWD First Test Review - Motor Trend

2016 Acura RDX AWD Advance
BASE PRICE
$44,360
PRICE AS TESTED
$44,360
VEHICLE LAYOUT
Front-engine, AWD, 5-pass, 4-door SUV
ENGINE
3.5L/279-hp/252-lb-ft SOHC -valve V-6
TRANSMISSION
6-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST)
3,907 lb (60/40%)
WHEELBASE
105.7 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT
184.4 x 73.7 x 65.0 in
0-60 MPH
6.2 sec
QUARTER MILE 14.8 sec @ 93.8 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH
122 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION
0.80 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT
27.7 sec @ 0.63 g (avg)
REAL MPG, CITY/HWY/COMB
21.5/30.2/24.7 mpg
EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON
19/28/22 mpg
ENERGY CONS., CITY/HWY 177/120 kW-hrs/100 miles
CO2 EMISSIONS, COMB
0.87 lb/mile

Last edited by Mr_MDX; 12-01-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Advanced

I'm a little surprised at the 14.8 in the 1/4. With a 94mph trap speed and AWD I'd expect to see it down in the 14.4-5 area. A low DA in some cold air and I'd think 14.1-2s are possible.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm a little surprised by the differences between the U.S. and Canadian models. The folding side mirrors, why not in the US? You guys don't get people slamming their shoulders on your rearviews?

Also, in the pictures I noticed the lack of rear seat heaters. Do any U.S. models have them?

I do agree with that second MT review, I looked at the same cars and concluded the RDX was better overall.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No rear heated seats or power folding mirrors for any RDX trim level in the US. I don't care much about the former, but the latter is pretty much a staple of any premium/luxury vehicle, so I'm pretty bummed that they left it out. Even more so, since they're offering it to our next door neighbors.

In fact, among Acuras in the US, the RLX is the only model that comes with power folding mirrors. Shame.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I wonder if the U.S. models are pre-wired for power mirrors and rear heated seats? I could see some people modding their RDXs in the U.S. to get the extras we have.

It also makes me wonder about the Chinese RDX. I wonder if they something extra or they're missing something.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Someone did that for the MDX. If memory serves, it was a rather lengthy undertaking because it wasn't prewired for it,the mirror housing part numbers themselves were different, he had to get his hands on the folding motors, the Canadian driver-side window button panel etc...

Now, if someone or some company were to start making aftermarket mod kits and selling them (like Navtool.com does for navigation systems), they could probably make some money. Of course, they would have to make kits for a wide range of makes and models in order for it all to be profitable, and the question becomes whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze...
Old 12-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
In addition to what has been mentioned above, there is a list of functional features missing in the CR-V Touring as compared to the RDX Elite:

• Cools front seats
• Heated back seats
• Blind spot detection – I my opinion BSD is much better than the LaneWatch as it tracks traffic on both sides
• Cross traffic alert – good feature for the aging population
• Auto dimming/power folding side mirrors
• Remote engine start
• Rain sensing wipers
• Homelink

RDX is still missing: power-tilt/heated steering wheel, around view monitor, wireless phone charging pad and adjustable rear seatbacks. Note that 2016 Honda Accords and Civic are introducing Apple CarPlay/Android Auto which is going to be the next big thing in connectivity. Acura will catch up in 2017/2018.

I have recently switched over from owing three Infiniti cars/SUVs. The RDX to me is a very cost effective premium brand which is one cut above the Honda/Toyota lines. However Acura is not competing in the same luxury arena as Lexus or the German cars.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny Boy
In addition to what has been mentioned above, there is a list of functional features missing in the CR-V Touring as compared to the RDX Elite:

• Cools front seats
• Heated back seats
• Blind spot detection – I my opinion BSD is much better than the LaneWatch as it tracks traffic on both sides
• Cross traffic alert – good feature for the aging population
• Auto dimming/power folding side mirrors
• Remote engine start
• Rain sensing wipers
• Homelink

RDX is still missing: power-tilt/heated steering wheel, around view monitor, wireless phone charging pad and adjustable rear seatbacks. Note that 2016 Honda Accords and Civic are introducing Apple CarPlay/Android Auto which is going to be the next big thing in connectivity. Acura will catch up in 2017/2018.

I have recently switched over from owing three Infiniti cars/SUVs. The RDX to me is a very cost effective premium brand which is one cut above the Honda/Toyota lines. However Acura is not competing in the same luxury arena as Lexus or the German cars.
The heated back seats are not in the American model (I believe they were in the 2015, but were deleted in 2016 - perhaps for the rear vents that are standard in many cars... and have been for years)

Having driven a couple of Hondas, I think I'd prefer the lane watch in the civic, accord and CRV (personal preference). I thought the CR-V had the cross traffic alert and blind spot detection, but I'm probably wrong about that.

"The RDX to me is a very cost effective premium brand which is one cut above the Honda/Toyota lines. However Acura is not competing in the same luxury arena as Lexus or the German cars." VERY WELL SAID. The RDX is an upgraded Honda - period. It is not remotely in the class of a lexus or german vehicle. The RDX is cheaper than the lexus or a german vehicle, but you get what you pay for. I think in large part it is because Honda is not sure what to do with acura or what they want out of acura... or another way of saying it is that acura is not a priority for Honda, but something they feel obligated to produce.

Having owned ours for about 4 months and 3400 miles I think the RDX is a good car with nice attributes, but it has its shortcomings and is missing things that are on far cheaper cars, but I won't go into that. I don't mind the jolt when changing between 3 and 6 cyl (38-39 mph and often on the highway) and I don't mind the clunking noise in the transaxle when putting it in park (very noticeable with the window down and in the garage). I do mind the wind noise - it's what I'd expect from an econobox, but as I understand it this has been a Honda/acura problem for many many years. (This is my first acura and I've spoken with people with acuras and virtually every one of them state that they have lots of wind noise.) Being able to transfer music to the hard drive via USB or mp3 like many cars have done for quite some time is also a disappointment, but I can live with that. I also find the seats to be hard as a rock and short. My legs (particularly the right leg) actually hurt when I drive the car - a first for me with 40 plus years behind the wheel. All in all, it's a good car, but I don't really think of it as even being "premium". I think more of it as an "upgraded" Honda.

Last edited by snorf; 12-02-2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by snorf
I also find the seats to be hard as a rock and short. My legs (particularly the right leg) actually hurt when I drive the car - a first for me with 40 plus years behind the wheel. All in all, it's a good car, but I don't really think of it as even being "premium". I think more of it as an "upgraded" Honda.
I'm a bit surprised that someone finds the RDX front seats hard. I have both and the 15 CRV is significantly firmer.

I do agree its a premium brand vs a real luxury brand.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_MDX
I'm a bit surprised that someone finds the RDX front seats hard. I have both and the 15 CRV is significantly firmer.

I do agree its a premium brand vs a real luxury brand.
The seats are pretty unsupportive. They have very little lateral support and are rather short on the bottom. Not at all what I was expecting. Even the 2016 mdx had really bad seats for something costing 65k. My 07 RDX has MUCH more supportive and comfortable seats.

Ditto on the "nice honda" part, not even nice enough to be called an Acura IMHO.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The seats are pretty unsupportive. They have very little lateral support and are rather short on the bottom. Not at all what I was expecting. Even the 2016 mdx had really bad seats for something costing 65k. My 07 RDX has MUCH more supportive and comfortable seats.
I brought home a 2016 RDX Tech yesterday. My wife's first comment getting in was that the seats fit her so much better than the Mercedes E350 we transitioned out of. The RDX seats also seem much more comfortable than those in the 2008 Honda Accord I had.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the seats are pretty comfortable but not particularly great or too hard...

I did miss the power tilt feature in the Infiniti. I look forward to the cool seats in the summer.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dbarnhart
I brought home a 2016 RDX Tech yesterday. My wife's first comment getting in was that the seats fit her so much better than the Mercedes E350 we transitioned out of. The RDX seats also seem much more comfortable than those in the 2008 Honda Accord I had.
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way whatsoever, I honestly am not trying to be offensive. But I feel that the seats are designed for larger people. I have broad shoulders but my body tapers down in a sort of V-shape and I find wide seats like those in the current mdx and rdx too wide.

The seats in my 07 RDX have some not too bad bolstering and I fit the seats almost like they were a glove. Many manufacturers (especially the ones from the U.S) build seats to accomadate larger people. Seats from cars built outside the us tend to be much more supportive and smaller. But not always!
Old 12-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDX10
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way whatsoever, I honestly am not trying to be offensive....
No disrespect detected ;-)
Old 12-05-2015, 10:51 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I find that the seats in my RDX are one of the most comfortable seats in any car I have driven. My conclusion is that everyone's butt is different (in size and sensitivity). So there's very little use in listening to someone else's opinion regarding seat comfort. Go ahead and put your butt in it and enjoy....
Old 12-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
I find that the seats in my RDX are one of the most comfortable seats in any car I have driven. My conclusion is that everyone's butt is different (in size and sensitivity). So there's very little use in listening to someone else's opinion regarding seat comfort. Go ahead and put your butt in it and enjoy....
This 100%, I have sat in some of the most comfortable seats ever and read in reviews that they were terrible and conversely sat in what were the epitome of good seats but they were actually really awful.

My solution, every manufacturer have at minmum 18 way seats! Lol I can dream about more than 12 ways in an acura....
Old 12-18-2015, 08:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
The seats in a RDX are every bit as comfortable as my 02 CL-S are
Old 12-18-2015, 08:10 AM
Advanced

The thing that probably pleased me the most about my 2016 RDX was hearing my wife say that the seats are far more comfortable for her than my 06 E350
Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
We have testen a 2015 new CR-V and a used (about 11K miles) 2015 RDX. For me, the obvious difference is the power. OTOH, the RDX trunk is quite small compared to the CR-V. The thing that kept us from the CR-V was a pronounced vibration in the steering wheel at idle. I've read that they don't all suffer from that but the one we tested did and that would be a deal breaker. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Just drove a 2016 Rav4 Hybrid and it was quite impressive.