This is how to get high MPG from your RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
It does not matter if it's oil, a pump, or a piston.
Which means what? Using the same MTBF for all those parts and fluids regardless? If not, where did you get MBTF=50000 to plug it in your sheet?

b.t.w. what's the unit of measure for this MBTF=50000? Hours, Years, Months, Feet??? Just don't tell me you used 50000 hours MBTF for an aircraft engine and arrived at 14757.76476 hours for oil change interval

And the information is out there, I'm not going to get it for you.
That's because those numbers don't exist and that MBTF does not apply to oil at all. That's why you can't get it.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:26 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
Old 10-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockstar143
you started the thread with a quest for sharing knowledge supposedly...
At least you got that point right. Yes I am only interested in knowledge gain and sharing on RDX. Not trolling around posting thousands of comments none being relevant to cars.

but now it's clear you were interested in just being right and having your ego stroked.
I don't recall having sent an invitation to you and other trolls to this tread. So if you don't like what you see in this tread why not just leave.

In that one long post, Gatr has given you more content to swallow than you know what to do with (and more than I've seen on AZ in months).Be a man. Admit the feet.
At least he made an attempt. But what has been your contribution ever to this forum thru your thousands of postings? Can I add you to my ignore list like other trolls?
Old 10-22-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Originally Posted by emry
At least you got that point right. Yes I am only interested in knowledge gain and sharing on RDX. Not trolling around posting thousands of comments none being relevant to cars.

I don't recall having sent an invitation to you and other trolls to this tread. So if you don't like what you see in this tread why not just leave.

At least he made an attempt. But what has been your contribution ever to this forum thru your thousands of postings? Can I add you to my ignore list like other trolls?
You can certainly add whomever you choose to your ignore list if that makes you feel better and/or you can't handle *reading* what someone says that you may disagree with.

That being said, there are no boundaries or compartments that people need to stay within here. Anyone can comment on anything unless the thread gets locked by a mod/admin. But what's the point of that then?

And, you may want to reconsider being so judgmental about what others have or have not contributed. In fact, there are a lot of members that you may find disagreeable but who are quite knowledgeable. In another fact, a lot of them have become disagreeable because of attitudes like yours. When new members come in knowing it all and are unwilling to hear out others with counter opinions or knowledge, it makes the more senior members less willing to share what they know.

An old adage about glass houses and stones comes to mind.

P.S. yes, you may add me to your ignore list if you would like. But please, make a big show of it so we all know how you feel. That is typically how members do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by cu2wagon:
gatrhumpy (10-22-2016), rockstar143 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 02:50 PM

^^^
That was so well put.

What have I added to this forum? Since you love researching and learning, why don't you take a gander at how many DIY's I've put together and how many questions I answer for other members via PM on a weekly basis?
You're pretty petty for being 53.

What have I added to this thread? Nothing much since you seem to have covered most of the bases on saving gas. Although unlike you, I don't think it was any great revelation and I also think you spouted off a lot of your opinions cloaked as fact.
Use 93, keep it as close to 55 on the highway and make sure your tires are inflated and you'll get decent miles per gallon out of a mediocre output 3 liter + engine. What a fucking revelation.

No go ask someone else to suck your dick, our mouths are full.

No wait...ummm...your mout...
never mind.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
gatrhumpy (10-22-2016), nist7 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Instructor

No go ask someone else to suck your dick, our mouths are full.No wait...ummm...your mout...never mind.
I've seen lot of arrogant kiss-ass rude MFs in my life but I can tell that you and that fag Taco are the most pathetic. Anyway, and hopefully never see you again in this tread or any other tread.

good riddance

P.S. this ignore list is a nice feature in this forum that I missed in other car forums. I'm luv'n it.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:11 PM

Name calling? I kept it classy thus far but...
Wow...you're really hitting an all time low.
I'll post where I please.

and trust me, I'll be checking in anywhere you decide to post your pseudo-intellect.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Which means what? Using the same MTBF for all those parts and fluids regardless? If not, where did you get MBTF=50000 to plug it in your sheet?

b.t.w. what's the unit of measure for this MBTF=50000? Hours, Years, Months, Feet??? Just don't tell me you used 50000 hours MBTF for an aircraft engine and arrived at 14757.76476 hours for oil change interval

That's because those numbers don't exist and that MBTF does not apply to oil at all. That's why you can't get it.
You have no idea what I'm talking about. No the MTBF will not be the same for parts, oil, etc. They will be different. The MTBF depends on the inherent reliability of the part, component, or in this case, oil. Unit of measure was 50K miles.

You do realize people think you're an idiot, right?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:12 PM

I've seen lot of arrogant kiss-ass rude MFs in my life but I can tell that you and that fag Taco are the most pathetic. Anyway, and hopefully never see you again in this tread or any other tread.

good riddance

P.S. this ignore list is a nice feature in this forum that I missed in other car forums. I'm luv'n it.
I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but it's not really nice to use some terms to describe people in a derogatory manner as such.

Earlier, you implied to know the rules by saying, let me see what you said, ah:

1) Using foul language is against the rules and etiquette enforced in this public forum
Now, I'm not fully versed in the rules of the site, but I do suspect it's frowned upon to refer to people as you have. In some real world situations, that can actually be considered a hate crime.

I'll also call your attention to the "mommy button" which could be used to report your post and for which the mods/admins may not look too kindly. So, it may actually be you who is not seen any longer on this forum. Hopefully not and we'll all be able to enjoy your stay.

Enjoy your stay!
The following users liked this post:
rockstar143 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:13 PM

He's from a time where "people" knew their place though, Joe...
he's gonna learn us today...
we can stand on a lawn, just not his.

What a hateful old and dumb geezer.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:14 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

He's a nice guy, unlike you. He's contributed more than you'll ever know. The only thing you've done was piss off a lot of members with nonsense and narcissism. STFU.
rockstar143 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:15 PM

He's a nice guy, unlike you. He's contributed more than you'll ever know. The only thing you've done was piss off a lot of members with nonsense and narcissism. STFU.
OMG stop helping your troll friends!

but seriously...
I love you Gatr.
Fine, UF is better than UM at football.
gatrhumpy (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Meh.

Someone was wrong on the internet, so I had to correct them.
Indeed. Quite informative post sir. Good reading for a lazy saturday afternoon.

And you know what they say.....the best way to get correct information is to post something wrong on the internet!

But good to always see members contribute real/insightful knowledge from their own professional training/experiences.

Coming from a similarly research/data driven world myself...one thing that always comes to my mind when someone claims these things that can dramatically improve MPG (or other metric) I always want to see if there are controlled experiments done to prove this. Lighter foot and cruise control are factually known to cause higher MPG (though people drive usually way too fast for this mostly).

If we had an infinite budge with a large lab, we could test all kinds of hypothesis as listed in the OP.

Such as taking two identical RDXs in everyway, and drive them in the same road/load and have different oil change intervals to see if there is any actual difference. This would be something interesting to undertake if one were to have enough disposable income to do these fun experiments.
rockstar143 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

good riddance

So now it seems like you're about to get banned.
The following 3 users liked this post by gatrhumpy:
cu2wagon (10-22-2016), nist7 (10-22-2016), rockstar143 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:17 PM

LOL...I tried to warn him!
I told him to replace the F word with the N word and it would be fine!

you know, Nefarious!
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
cu2wagon (10-22-2016), gatrhumpy (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

OMG stop helping your troll friends!
but seriously...
I love you Gatr.
Fine, UF is better than UM at football.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

So, is anyone interested in seeing the equations I used?
nist7 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,694 Likes on 6,708 Posts
I am!
Old 10-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Instructor

You have no idea what I'm talking about. No the MTBF will not be the same for parts, oil, etc. They will be different. The MTBF depends on the inherent reliability of the part, component, or in this case, oil. Unit of measure was 50K miles.
Really? Your sheet shows unit of measure as "hours of operation"for both MBTF and calculated change interval. So again, where did you get the MBTF=50000 for the oil?

You do realize people think you're an idiot, right?
Wrong. You are the idiot who doesn't know the difference between hours of operations and miles and comes here telling lies thru your teeth. Have alook at your sheet image again and you'll know.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
So, is anyone interested in seeing the equations I used?
What would be more interesting is to also know how/rationale of how these equations came about.

I'm coming from a medical background, and so the risk calculators for certain health conditions are usually built from large population/epidemiological studies that generates a certain curve/distribution and then pulling a "best fit" equation out of that and then apply it to a new patient to calculate certain risks for development or worsening of a disease given their current symptoms/signs.

Would be interesting to know how in the engineering/mechanical parts industry come up with equations and predictors for mechanical parts/fluids/etc..

Another question, which may be off topic, is the debate/battle between OEM and "performance brand" parts. Many swear by OEM as best while others go to lengths to show the superiority of certain aftermarket brands (ie Red Line for ATF, etc.). And it's mostly touted that OEM parts have millions of dollars and many many hours of professional engineers behind them so they must be better....
Old 10-22-2016, 03:36 PM

Really? Your sheet shows unit of measure as "hours of operation"for both MBTF and calculated change interval. So again, where did you get the MBTF=50000 for the oil?

Wrong. You are the idiot who doesn't know the difference between hours of operations and miles and comes here telling lies thru your teeth. Have alook at your sheet image again and you'll know.
I actually caught that back when he posted it and thought the same thing; but units don't matter as long as they are consistent throughout. If he went and changed the labels from "hours" to "miles" you get the same calculations. Assuming there aren't any inter-unitary conversions (H:M:S) that would throw off the miles units. But I don't think there would be judging from the labels

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
But gatr, your task interval is 14,775.45 *hours* not miles.
The spreadsheet is geared towards aircraft, not cars. For bitchslap purposes, the units are irrelevent.
Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Ah, gotcha! I didn't pick up on that conservation of units throughout.

Thanks!

(This is why english teachers don't do spreadsheets)
The following 2 users liked this post by cu2wagon:
gatrhumpy (10-22-2016), rockstar143 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nist7
Another question, which may be off topic, is the debate/battle between OEM and "performance brand" parts. Many swear by OEM as best while others go to lengths to show the superiority of certain aftermarket brands (ie Red Line for ATF, etc.). And it's mostly touted that OEM parts have millions of dollars and many many hours of professional engineers behind them so they must be better....
I've had some good experience with after market parts but for the critical ones like MAF or other sensors. Using the tierods or even disk brakes should be fine and I buy them aftermarket to save but won't cheap out of the critical parts.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Well, the spreadsheet is geared towards aircraft, not cars. I did not have a stock unit of miles set up when the spreadsheet was created.
Old 10-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Well, the spreadsheet is geared towards aircraft, not cars. I did not have a stock unit of miles set up when the spreadsheet was created.
OK then why come and use the word "miles" and say "Emry you were wrong"?

Does this make any sense? In your own words using hours and then telling it is miles?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:55 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

OK then why come and use the word "miles" and say "Emry you were wrong"?

Does this make any sense? In your own words using hours and then telling it is miles?
I've already explained myself. The spreadsheet is the same spreadsheet that other Reliability and Maintainability experts across the Navy use to determine inspection and repair intervals. THERE IS NO WAY TO ADD MILES TO THE SPREADSHEET UNLESS YOU OWN THE PASSWORD TO THE SHEET. The units are irrelevant, as long as they're consistent.

Get it now?

I could have used lightyears, parsecs, or rack units, as long as I related those units to a standard way of measuring a car's life, which would be miles.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:03 PM

gatrhumpy (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Using the tierods or even disk brakes should be fine and I buy them aftermarket to save but won't cheap out of the critical parts.
Yeah, tierods and brakes are definitely not critical parts...but make sure your MAF is changed out regularly!
That is, if you want MPG but don't care so much about dying.

You fucking moron...
Old 10-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Instructor

I've already explained myself. The spreadsheet is the same spreadsheet that other Reliability and Maintainability experts across the Navy use to determine inspection and repair intervals. THERE IS NO WAY TO ADD MILES TO THE SPREADSHEET UNLESS YOU OWN THE PASSWORD TO THE SHEET. The units are irrelevant, as long as they're consistent.

Get it now?

I could have used lightyears, parsecs, or rack units, as long as I related those units to a standard way of measuring a car's life, which would be miles.
But you can't use the same fixed MBTF number for fluids and metals and plastics etc. Each of these material obviously have their own MBTF.
If you use MBTF=50000 for an aircraft part, you can't use the same MBTF when calculating for fluids like oil.

The only way to a get reasonable MBTF for oil is perhaps what manufacturers and oil companies do by testing the molecular properties of a particular oil under certain conditions and decide when to replace the oil.

That's why a reasonable MBTF for a full synth oil is reported to be between 5K and 15K miles. But this range depends directly on the engine condition. For instance in cars with turbo that is sensitive to oil film and the turbo literally cooks the oil in high temperatures, they recommend to change the oil at around 5K-6K miles intervals. Of course changing can be postponed til 15K miles or beyond but the danger is sludge formation which damages the engine compartment.
gatrhumpy (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Instructor

Yeah, tierods and brakes are definitely not critical parts...but make sure your MAF is changed out regularly!
That is, if you want MPG but don't care so much about dying.

You fucking moron...
Critical was referred to the engine performance. You fucking moron
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

But you can't use the same fixed MBTF number for fluids and metals and plastics etc. Each of these material obviously have their own MBTF.
If you use MBTF=50000 for an aircraft part, you can't use the same MBTF when calculating for fluids like oil.

The only way to a get reasonable MBTF for oil is perhaps what manufacturers and oil companies do by testing the molecular properties of a particular oil under certain conditions and decide when to replace the oil.

That's why a reasonable MBTF for a full synth oil is reported to be between 5K and 15K miles. But this range depends directly on the engine condition. For instance in cars with turbo that is sensitive to oil film and the turbo literally cooks the oil in high temperatures, they recommend to change the oil at around 5K-6K miles intervals. Of course changing can be postponed til 15K miles or beyond but the danger is sludge formation which damages the engine compartment.
I've already said that. But thanks for reinforcing something for me.
emry (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 04:08 PM

Emry,

I can only assume you were let go of whatever career you had...replaced with a young buck knowitall out of college they paid half as much. It's a tough break since you were more qualified and had more experience, presumably.
I can assure you though, that although being a greeter at walmart in your twilight years isn't necessarily as glamorous as you were probably led to believe. You still do serve an important role in society, man.

We do thank you for your service, sir.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:08 PM

Critical was referred to the engine performance. You fucking moron
But you have no problem buying lesser quality aftermarket parts for those items though, I did read that right, right?
Old 10-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Instructor

But you have no problem buying lesser quality aftermarket parts for those items though, I did read that right, right?
Lesser quality of what? The disk brakes are all cast iron. In fact majority of them are made in China and shipped to distributors with their own packaging and brand names. Some cheaper pads may wear faster or disks may not last as long but I'm not gonna spend a whole lot more on just a brand. I have used Chinese tie rods for many years with good result. But almost every time I bought Chinese MAF, O2, Relays, or other electrical stuff their didn't last long.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:21 PM

I'd stay away from chinese aftermarket axles...those have a tendency to give vibrations.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Wow.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,694 Likes on 6,708 Posts
TIL:
MPG's >> stopping properly.

Sounds good to me.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:53 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Old 10-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
You guys still going on..
I think Mark Twang had some words for this.. something like.. don't be snitching on a snitch cuzz you da snitch cuhhhhh.. ya erd me?!

Anyways.. you guys going on about MTBF, oil, burrrrshiettt... and I'm still trippin on:

Spoiler

kermitdrinkingtea.png
TacoBello (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 02:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Not gonna lie, when I too first read that, I had a major :homerassgrab: occur over here.

Shiiiiet, even my Canadian engineering degree tells me to not be that much of a cheap fuck.