Crystal Fusion - Anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Crystal Fusion - Anybody?

As the rain moving from Mexico to Texas and now to our area. I am driving my 2016 RDX under the rain and the water just runs off the windshield amazingly.
This is just exactly like after you wash/wax or apply sealant to your paint and when water comes to contact it will bead and run off. So happy with it.

I then notice there is a clear plastic ticker at corner of windshield, saying "Crystal Fusion - treated glass"

It is a product that bonds to the glass at the molecular level that won't peel or blister over time (according to their website).

My question is how many members here have any experience with it and your feedback?

I guess this is done by dealership? But then I didn't get charge the extra $ for it and dealer didn't mention anything about it so I think it could be done by Acura (which is unlikely).
Old 10-27-2015, 09:45 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Is a liquid film you apply like Rain-X or something like a clear bra material a pro needs to install? I would need it more for chips than rain in the southwest.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
I have a TEPH SEAL sticker on my windshield. I had no idea what it was so I checked it out. They supposedly do an appearance "prep" on the new cars. According to their website, they clean everything (including door jams, etc - virtually anywhere there is paint) and wax it. When we picked up our RDX, they needed to wash the car before giving it to us (it only had a few miles on it). They did a poor job. If it wasn't visible from the outside it wasn't cleaned. There were leaves under the hood and just below the windshield wipers. They missed a few spots on the outside and the inside wasn't done very well either. The first thing I did when we got the car home was to clean it inside and out and I put a coat of wax on it.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:59 AM
Racer

Don't know how they apply it. It came with the car.
I normally stop the guys at the finance office before they start talking about extended warranty and these products. So they are new to me.
The product claims to make the glass stronger which will help with stone chips. I like this and time will tell if it does what it says it can.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Thanks for that informative post. I also noticed that water slides off the windshield completely and easily. When you turn on the wipers it just wicks away the water--no residue or film so makes the visibility incredible even in heavy rain. Other vehicles I've been in don't do this so I knew the windshield in the 2016 RDX was special but wasn't aware about the crystals. The crystals must have some hydrophobic properties and greatly reduce surface tension.

Originally Posted by guytdt
As the rain moving from Mexico to Texas and now to our area. I am driving my 2016 RDX under the rain and the water just runs off the windshield amazingly.
This is just exactly like after you wash/wax or apply sealant to your paint and when water comes to contact it will bead and run off. So happy with it.

I then notice there is a clear plastic ticker at corner of windshield, saying "Crystal Fusion - treated glass"

It is a product that bonds to the glass at the molecular level that won't peel or blister over time (according to their website).

My question is how many members here have any experience with it and your feedback?

I guess this is done by dealership? But then I didn't get charge the extra $ for it and dealer didn't mention anything about it so I think it could be done by Acura (which is unlikely).
Old 10-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Racer

rockyboy, so when you have 2016, you didn't pay extra for it nor dealer mention anything about it? If yes, then look like it is "standard" feature?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

It was not an added option and dealer didn't say anything. Maybe it is standard. I bought the 2016 RDX Elite. That's the Canadian fully loaded version. It's a wonderful vehicle!!

Originally Posted by guytdt
rockyboy, so when you have 2016, you didn't pay extra for it nor dealer mention anything about it? If yes, then look like it is "standard" feature?
Old 10-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a Canadian RDX Elite 2016 and I have never heard about Crystal Fusion. I don't have any sticker on my windshield and I have not noticed any difference when it rains. I am planning to apply Aquapel shortly.

Maybe I should start selling Acura on this forum to get freebies like Rockyboy...
Old 10-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dlevesque
I have a Canadian RDX Elite 2016 and I have never heard about Crystal Fusion. I don't have any sticker on my windshield and I have not noticed any difference when it rains. I am planning to apply Aquapel shortly.

Maybe I should start selling Acura on this forum to get freebies like Rockyboy...

If you decide to do that you will have to face the fact that the RDX is a chick magnet. While this might sound nice at first, it could have shortcomings. When you see the size of the chicks that it attracts you will realize the need for DEEP pockets for food. Those chicks don't get that big without eating a lot. And I'm guessing the phrase PUT THE SPOON DOWN doesn't mean much to those chicks so you'll probably just want to stand back from the troth and let them eat.

Last edited by snorf; 10-27-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Let me tell you a story this weekend about chicks and the RDX. I was at a party but didn't dress as nice as I perhaps should have. At the beginning of the party, no one knew what car I drove. Spent a lot of the night talking to the hottest girl there (8/10 body, 9.5/10 face). After she left the party, two fatties come in (4 to 5/10 body, 6/10 face). The other skinny girls at the party didn't pay too much attention to me. The fatties were conversing with me but seemed stuck up (AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!!). They even made fun of the fact that I had a hoodie on even though it was warm (they didn't realize I was outside for a lot of the time). Anyways, at the end of the party, the host asks me to drive 3 people. Two were skinny girls (8/10's). So we walked to the parking garage and when they saw the 2016 RDX they got excited. They talked about how fancy it was, etc., they just viewed me completely differently after seeing the vehicle.

How did the fatties get home? WHO CARES! LOL! I'm gonna hide my car from them, HEH!

The moral of the story: chicks dig the 2016 RDX.

Originally Posted by snorf
If you decide to do that you will have to face the fact that the RDX is a chick magnet. While this might sound nice at first, it could have shortcomings. When you see the size of the chicks that it attracts you will realize the need for DEEP pockets for food. Those chicks don't get that big without eating a lot. And I'm guessing the phrase PUT THE SPOON DOWN doesn't mean much to those chicks so you'll probably just want to stand back from the troth and let them eat.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

lol

Originally Posted by rockyboy
Let me tell you a story this weekend about chicks and the RDX. I was at a party but didn't dress as nice as I perhaps should have. At the beginning of the party, no one knew what car I drove. Spent a lot of the night talking to the hottest girl there (8/10 body, 9.5/10 face). After she left the party, two fatties come in (4 to 5/10 body, 6/10 face). The other skinny girls at the party didn't pay too much attention to me. The fatties were conversing with me but seemed stuck up (AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHY!!). They even made fun of the fact that I had a hoodie on even though it was warm (they didn't realize I was outside for a lot of the time). Anyways, at the end of the party, the host asks me to drive 3 people. Two were skinny girls (8/10's). So we walked to the parking garage and when they saw the 2016 RDX they got excited. They talked about how fancy it was, etc., they just viewed me completely differently after seeing the vehicle.

How did the fatties get home? WHO CARES! LOL! I'm gonna hide my car from them, HEH!

The moral of the story: chicks dig the 2016 RDX.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 AM
mrgold35

I looked at the website: Crystal Fusion | Windshield Treatments and Vehicle Visibility

They don't give a lot of details or dealership info other than YouTube type review videos. Just "Buy it because it works" testimonials.

I don't want to spend $$ for something that might be too expensive, not last very long, or has to be re-applied every 6-12 months for more $$.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I looked at the website: Crystal Fusion | Windshield Treatments and Vehicle Visibility

They don't give a lot of details or dealership info other than YouTube type review videos. Just "Buy it because it works" testimonials.

I don't want to spend $$ for something that might be too expensive, not last very long, or has to be re-applied every 6-12 months for more $$.
Crystal Fusion is a tarted up variant of Aquapel. Be very careful of claims of a certain percentage improvements "see 34% better" that cannot be quantified. How does this "bond at the molecular level"? Since it IS a coating, it can be worn away mechanically - just what windshield wipers do, so how often does it need to be applied.

Like all after sales gimmicks sold by dealers, the only goal is to increase their bottom line dramatically while giving the customer a bit of instant gratification - until the windshield wipers have worn it away.

Lotta love the way it stops bullets too.

Is this rocky's dad's company?
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 AM
mrgold35

I think I will stick with Rain-X until more info is available.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:26 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I think I will stick with Rain-X until more info is available.
Aquapel lasts much longer than Rain-X.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ceb
Aquapel lasts much longer than Rain-X.
I've been trying to use up the bottle of Rain-X for the last 2 years. I usually have to put new wipers because of UV/Sun damage compared to wear/tear from use. We don't get enough rain or snow.

I might have to check out Aquapel when my Rain-X runs out in 2017.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I've been trying to use up the bottle of Rain-X for the last 2 years. I usually have to put new wipers because of UV/Sun damage compared to wear/tear from use. We don't get enough rain or snow.

I might have to check out Aquapel when my Rain-X runs out in 2017.
Try Bosch ICON wipers. They do a great job. I had them on my BMW in Colorado Springs for about a year and they did very well.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Racer

I'm very happy with crystal fusion. It's a lot better than rain-x. It's raining 48 hours a few days ago and it helps. However, I don't think I want to pay any extra for it as it is nice to have, not a necessity. I drove many years without it anyway. Let see how long it lasts with my car and this might change my mind down the road. But for now I'm happy and enjoy my freebies.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:25 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My wife wanted it applied, so we purchased it. She is quite happy with it. Dealership also said we can have it reapplied each year - no additional cost.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Cost?