Can I use different brand tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I use different brand tires?

Yesterday the back tire on the passenger side blew out on me so I am driving on the spare. I am shopping for a replacement tire and I first called the dealer just to get an idea on the high end price. They quoted me $309(!!!!!!) for a Michelin including installation. I looked up a few tire places and the Michelin ranges from $203-224. Cheapest brand I have found is the Falken for $100 and the Bridgestone is $159 and the Yokohama is $201 and another high rated is the Cooper Discoverer at $139.

Is it ok to mix tire brands and which is the second best alternative to Michelin which is what my 2015 RDX Base has? I am aiming to get the tire installed tomorrow since we have some bad rainy weather and I noticed the car was wobbly yesterday. Plus I now have a "Check TPMS" sign that won't go away. I am assuming it is because the vehicle cannot get any pressure reading from the donut.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2015, 03:32 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Getting advice on tires is like asking for advice on what should your favorite color should be. Other than price, you sometimes have to factor in such things like location, all season -vs- summer -vs- winter tires, normal to extreme weather capabilities, directional -vs- non-directional, daily driving conditions, noise, tread-life, traction, mileage per year, etc...

I would look at Tire Rack or Discount Tires and search for the tire recommended for the RDX to see which tires are rated higher and read the pros/cons reviews. You can really narrow down your choices to about 4-5 equally good choices you can order from these sites or find locally around your town from another tire shop.

Link: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html

Link: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

The tires are a very important factor in acceleration, handling, ride, mpg, and stopping. I wouldn't go by price alone.

I personally don't like putting different tires on the same axle. I'm fine with 2 of the same on the front and 2 of a different type on the rears. I would only put two different tires on the rear if my vehicle was fwd only and I wouldn't move them to the front.

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-01-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Getting advice on tires is like asking for advice on what should your favorite color should be. Other than price, you sometimes have to factor in such things like location, all season -vs- summer -vs- winter tires, normal to extreme weather capabilities, directional -vs- non-directional, daily driving conditions, noise, tread-life, traction, mileage per year, etc...

I would look at Tire Rack or Discount Tires and search for the tire recommended for the RDX to see which tires are rated higher and read the pros/cons reviews. You can really narrow down your choices to about 4-5 equally good choices you can order from these sites or find locally around your town from another tire shop.

Link: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html

Link: Tires & Wheels | Car Tires & Wheels | SUV/Truck Tires & Wheels | Discount Tire

The tires are a very important factor in acceleration, handling, ride, mpg, and stopping. I wouldn't go by price alone.

I personally don't like putting different tires on the same axle. I'm fine with 2 of the same on the front and 2 of a different type on the rears. I would only put two different tires on the rear if my vehicle was fwd only and I wouldn't move them to the front.
Thanks! I'm in the South and barely get any snow....just lots of rain. I mainly do highway driving, I bought the car July 2014 and I just clocked 25K miles. The prices on my original post were from Discount Tires. I'm leaning more on the a cheap tire for right now and I'll have to remember to tell them not to put it in the front whenever they do rotation and maybe go with a mid-range brand when its time to replace them.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Your basic question was never answered.

You should not mix and match tires - all four should match. At the very least, the tires on the same axle must match.

Nothing wrong with swapping all the tires for something else but do not replace just one with a different brand or style.

Tirerack should give you a better price on the matching tire and the dealership may just match the pricing.

You'll have to suck it up and buy the proper tire. If you have 25k miles on the car then you'll need to buy at least two tires to get matching tires on that axle - the new tire won't match the worn tire

Last edited by ceb; 12-01-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
First let me say I am anal about tires. I fully support the old Michelin commercial where they say "ther is a lot riding on your tires" and proceed to show a baby on a tire. To me the tires are the single most important safety feature on any car. Some would say you can mix, I would never. I personally don't even let tires get uneven. Twice over the years the gf,s cars have taken a bolt into the sidewall and because the tires had a few 32 of inch already worn I got her a full set of tires. Even my TLX I was not impressed with factory crappy Goodyears that were horrible in the rain and I swapped them out right away. As mrgold35 pointed out go to TireRack.com and look at the reviews and see what is important to,you and select a tire. Either buy from TireRack or find a good local tire dealer. I swear by Discount Tires and they will price match TireRack.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

You should not mix and match tires - all four should match. At the very least, the tires on the same axle must match.

Nothing wrong with swapping all the tires for something else but do not replace just one with a different brand or style.

Tirerack should give you a better price on the matching tire and the dealership may just match the pricing.

You'll have to suck it up and buy the proper tire. If you have 25k miles on the car then you'll need to buy at least two tires to get matching tires on that axle - the new tire won't match the worn tire
Thank you for being the voice of reason!

NEVER put different tires on a vehicle that is AWD. Not even the same on the front and rear axles. Every companies' tires are slightly different and therefore overall diameter is different. On an AWD car, this can be disastrous to the transmission and AWD clutch because it has some weird rotational affect which causes the transmission to overturn and can damage it and cause it to bind.

Pay the $200 and get the other tire and have the shop wear it down to the same depth as the other 3, or buy a whole new set and put those 3 aside as spares. You paid what, 35-40k and you are worried about paying another $200 to protect your "investment"?
Old 12-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb

Thank you for being the voice of reason!

NEVER put different tires on a vehicle that is AWD. Not even the same on the front and rear axles. Every companies' tires are slightly different and therefore overall diameter is different. On an AWD car, this can be disastrous to the transmission and AWD clutch because it has some weird rotational affect which causes the transmission to overturn and can damage it and cause it to bind.

Pay the $200 and get the other tire and have the shop wear it down to the same depth as the other 3, or buy a whole new set and put those 3 aside as spares. You paid what, 35-40k and you are worried about paying another $200 to protect your "investment"?

Last but not least, ask your dealer about the tire warranty. The tire company themselves usually have a 60k mile warranty on the tires (I know michelin does) and they should cover it if it burst for no outside physical reason.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
You need to put back what was there, i.e. the same tire shaved to match. OR, four new matched tires. There are no other viable alternatives. Period.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:48 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Since you are at 25,000 miles and your tread on your tires are probably around 1/3 to 1/2 worn down. You are in a really stuck between a rock and a hard place on this decision. There is always eBay and they will sell the exact tire you need to match the remaining treadlife. I'm assuming you have Michelin Primacy MXM4 235/60/18 on your 15 RDX Base? Here is the same tire for $56+free shipping with 6/32 out of 9.5/32 treadlife:

LINK: Used Michelin Primacy MXM4 235 60R18 235 60 18 2356018 6 0 32NDS | eBay

I considered this option when I got a non-repairable flat on my RDX with Conti DWS tires with about the same mileage on the tires. I couldn't find two used Conti with the same tread depth to match my RDX on eBay so I went with two new Conti on the same axle and half worn on the other axle. I just made sure to keep the sets together and only do front/back rotations (kept the newer tires on the front longer to even out the wear over time). Ended up around 3/32nd and 5/32nd when I put new tires on last spring.