2013 RDX review on Motorweek.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
2013 RDX review on Motorweek.

Check your listings, set your dvr's, let's see what they have to say about it. Mine is on Directv on the Velocity channel, Tue 10/30 at 5pm, can't wait!
The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Las Vegas:
GRDX (10-20-2012), wizardjjr (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
For those in NJ tomorrow morning - Sunday 10/21/12 5:30 AM "2013 Acura RDX" on NJTV.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Pro

let us know what they say.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
GRDX...We get the same feed so I will be watching it too. It conflicts with my favorite car review program (in French....called RPM) but in this case, I will watch MotorWeek.

Joe Las Vegas....I will report to others what the overall impression were.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
UPDATE...Review was overall very positive.

* 0-60 at 7s
* average fuel consumption (city and highway) at 26 mpg
* AWD more similar to the CR-V
* Exterior styling a bit more bland, a la CR-V but nice nonetheless.
* Track handling and corning was better than they had expected and a sign that maybe removing the SH-AWD didn't strip the RDX its fun to drive factor.
* Interior was quite upscale except they could see some cost cutting....passenger only 4 way setting
* They knocked Acura for not having touch screen navigation
* They liked the choice of engine and transmission.

Overall, it made the RDX look good although they said it did make the RDX look less "stand out" product and more like the common family of crossovers.

Thats about all I can remember.....
Old 10-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Pro

BTW, I have this same thread in the first generation section, to get all the bases covered.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...2012_acura_rdx

It's actually the 2013 review. One particular section I took issue with;

"Refinement continues inside as the new cockpit has a genuine premium feel, trading a sporty edge for the more typical blend of Acura high-tech modern luxury. The leather upholstery looks both inviting and durable. But just when you start appreciating new features like standard 10-way power driver’s seat with heat, and push-button start; you also begin noticing cost cutting measures like only 4-way power for the front passenger and getting a back-up camera, let alone navigation, requires adding a Tech. package. "

It sounds like the reviewer is saying you don't get a back-up camera on the base model, which is clearly wrong. And I'm not aware of any vehicle remotely in this class that includes Navigation in their lowest trim level.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually thought the review indicated that MotorWeek was expecting something evolutionary but it missed the mark. In the end, I think that they couldn't warrant the higher price. It's still a great vehicle, regardless.
...from old post...
MotorWeek just reviewed the 2013 RDX on 10/21/12. I watched it a couple times to really get a feel for what they thought of it. I watch MotorWeek often and they usually speak in positive terms even when something isn't to their liking. What I took away from the show was that they liked the older model due to it's sporty-ness and SHAWD, and felt that Acura targeted the "been-there-done-that" (their words!) folks with the new RDX. I don't think they liked the intrusion of the CRV AWD or other characteristics, nor were they impressed with the styling and the larger than expected price jump. Overall the 2013 RDX is a great vehicle but they couldn't express that it was a major improvement over the older model. Personally, I liked hearing about the new 6-cylinder and better gas mileage (they claimed 26MPG combined!).
Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Thirsty
Personally, I liked hearing about the new 6-cylinder and better gas mileage (they claimed 26MPG combined!).
We're still under 2K miles on ours, but I haven't seen anything like 26mpg, especially in the kind of driving those Motor Week folks were likely enjoying.

I'm not complaining about our 21-22 avg on our central Texas stop-and-go 65mph highways, but 26 would be a treat.

BTW, does anyone miss the too-large, mis-shapen, ugly exhaust tips from many earlier Acura models? I'm happy to have the cleaner look on the tail-end.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachRick
We're still under 2K miles on ours, but I haven't seen anything like 26mpg, especially in the kind of driving those Motor Week folks were likely enjoying.

I'm not complaining about our 21-22 avg on our central Texas stop-and-go 65mph highways, but 26 would be a treat.

BTW, does anyone miss the too-large, mis-shapen, ugly exhaust tips from many earlier Acura models? I'm happy to have the cleaner look on the tail-end.
Boy, I am with you on the garish dual exhaust pipes. Love the new RDX look. I actually don't think dual exhaust is done well in most of the vehicles you see them on. I especially think it's stupid looking on most SUVs and family sedans and in most cases serves no purpose whatsoever but to make the boy racers think they are driving a muscle car.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
Boy, I am with you on the garish dual exhaust pipes. Love the new RDX look. I actually don't think dual exhaust is done well in most of the vehicles you see them on. I especially think it's stupid looking on most SUVs and family sedans and in most cases serves no purpose whatsoever but to make the boy racers think they are driving a muscle car.
Agreed, although I do prefer the symmetrical look of dual exhaust(s). Our XC60 had tasteful polished tips, about the diameter of a tennis ball...not out of scale. Most of the Volvos have a similar set-up. Won't hurt me not to have to polish the exhaust tips on the RDX.

As a college freshman, I had an eleven year-old Studebaker Lark VIII with a single exhaust pipe. I bought a chrome 'twin tip' and bolted 'er on! I'm sure that little 260ci engine scared some hotrodders when they saw that 'dual' chrome exhaust!

The more things change, the more they stay the same!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachRick
Agreed, although I do prefer the symmetrical look of dual exhaust(s). Our XC60 had tasteful polished tips, about the diameter of a tennis ball...not out of scale. Most of the Volvos have a similar set-up. Won't hurt me not to have to polish the exhaust tips on the RDX.

As a college freshman, I had an eleven year-old Studebaker Lark VIII with a single exhaust pipe. I bought a chrome 'twin tip' and bolted 'er on! I'm sure that little 260ci engine scared some hotrodders when they saw that 'dual' chrome exhaust!

The more things change, the more they stay the same!
Yes, some are done with some taste but not the "bugle" exhaust tips that Acura/Honda tends to use. They look horrible. The big square ones look bad too unless they are very integrated into the rear bumper IMO. I used to like the symmetrical look too but now I kinda feel "been there, done that" towards it.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I disagree, I like the chrome extenders, to me it sports the car up.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Pro

I watched it yesterday and I did some research and I like it lot, much more than I thought I would. When I first saw it when they first released it, I didn't like it because it looked bland and ordinary, plus I thought it was was bigger, like 10 inches longer, I didn't know it was almost the same size as the 07-12 models. Gone is the SHAWD but the current system is adequate, good enough for everyday driving and the occasional bad weather, but I never experienced the SHAWD system so I can't speak for it, I know people report if feels awesome when the outside rear wheel pushes you through a corner. They said cornering ability was still good even though the SHAWD system was gone. They complained about the nav and rear cam being only available with the Tech package, so what? at least there's only one package that adds all the good stuff, not like other cars where you need to select 5 options just to get the good stuff. they also complained about the pass seat being only 4 way, seriously?!?!, who cares!, I'm never gonna sit there, plus as long as the pass seat is nice and comfy, 4 way pwr is just fine.
They said it didn't have the sparkling personality of the old RDX, but if the refinements outweigh the old rdx flaws (turbo lag, firm ride, less rear seat room...) then the new RDX might be better overall, the interior is real nice, I plan on going to an Acura dealership this weekend and check out one with the Tech package and test drive it, even though there is no way I can afford it now.
They got 0-60mph in 7 secs, when Edmunds gets 6.5, but the good thing is they got 26.1 mpg when the combined rating is supposed to be 22 mpg. that's nice.
After I did some research I noticed the ground clearance is much better, 8.1 vs. 6.3, I like the power tailgate, the VCM engine, and the sport mode is much better than the old one, not to mention the 6 speed auto, which is needed, too much to talk about, but check out the engine and trans specs and modes HERE.

Last edited by Joe Las Vegas; 10-31-2012 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wizardjjr (10-31-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Pro

Did anyone check the trans specs and mode, and ratios compared to the old 5 speed trans? Click on link in previous post. I read everything, pretty nice overall. Sport mode kicks ass too.