2013 RDX AWD Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 12:05 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 RDX AWD Warning Light

My 2013 RDX has approx 55k miles. The other morning after driving for 5-10 mins the "AWD Warning Light" came on and on the center dash screen showed "All-Wheel Drive: 71". AcuraLink advised if this continued to see a dealer and that the car would only operate in front wheel drive when this warning light was on. Drove another 5 mins, stopped and shut off the car and when I restarted the warning light did not come back on. Today the exact same situation happened. Has this happened to anyone else? I checked other postings and there were some posts about bad rear differentials that were replaced but nothing posted in the last several years. Looking like I'm headed to a dealership for diagnosis but would very much appreciate any insight anyone could provide. Thanks, Dean
Old 01-21-2020, 12:45 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Have you had the recommended fluid changes?
Old 01-21-2020, 01:02 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I Always do whatever the service codes/dealer calls for, rear differential was changed around 17k miles, transmission and transfer fluid around 30k - I assume my next service, as I approach 60k, will call for them all to be changed and even if not recommended I planned on having them replaced at that time
Old 01-11-2023, 12:34 PM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
RDX AWD Idiot Light?

Did you resolve this issue? I have the same issue, but seems to be temperature dependent. Comes on the same way, when it's cold out. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2023, 06:21 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello
did you resolve issue? I have same issue
Old 04-26-2023, 08:22 AM
6th Gear

2014 RDX AWD Warning Light

Originally Posted by Atanas Dimitrov
Hello
did you resolve issue? I have same issue
Yes! My 2014 RDX AWD light came on everytime after driving a couple miles. I took it to Wappingers, NY Acura for a rear differential fluid change at 94K in March. They claimed they found burnt red fluid, gave me the computer code, and drove it with a laptop connected to diagnose. Said it had the wrong fluid in it and if the light came on again i'd need a $5K rear differential. It did. They never showed me the fluid, but documented in writing.
So.... I then went back to the shop that did the last rear differential fluid change at 72K, Curry Honda in Yorktown, NY. I was mad. Told them and showed them all the paperwork. They said no way they put in the wrong fluid. They looked up the code, found the Honda and then Acura service bulletins, and said it's a known problem with the rear differential sensor. Same problem with the CRV, which has the same components (pre S-AWD). A week later they gave me a loaner and replaced the sensor and fluid for $800. Lots of labor because the rear differential has to be dropped. So far, so good, 1.5K miles. The AWD light comes on and then off when I start the car so I know the sensor is working and isn't disconnected. Someone isn't being honest. Time will tell which dealership it is but for now I'm not going back to Wappingers Acura!
Car dealerships are a mess right now! Good luck!

Last edited by Otis123; 04-26-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts
I have also seen the old threads about diff replacements, sensor replacements, etc. regarding this issue, though I just wanted to remind everyone that sometimes things can sporadically appear due to weather, driving conditions, or even your battery not being healthy.

I had this same warning appear (along with various other ones) when we did a "Take your car on the track" day at Charlotte motor speedway (not spirited driving, just a tour) - all the warning lights appeared when we were on the 24 degree banked corners. They stayed on for a couple start/stops, but a simple disconnect and reconnect of the battery resolved them. That would always be my first order of business for anyone else presented with this issue for the first time.

Further, this diagram of the rear diff shows two actual sensors, one for the fluid temp and one for the fluid pressure. https://www.acuraexpressparts.com/v-...erential-mount

Did they happen to give you a part number of the sensor replaced when they did that job Otis? I'm curious which sensor is actually causing the code to be thrown, though I'd imagine it's the pressure sensor. I also just realized, I have a 2016 and I'm wondering if every vehicle in the generation had the same differential.

Last edited by TheSauceBoss; 04-26-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:53 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TheSauceBoss
I have also seen the old threads about diff replacements, sensor replacements, etc. regarding this issue, though I just wanted to remind everyone that sometimes things can sporadically appear due to weather, driving conditions, or even your battery not being healthy.

I had this same warning appear (along with various other ones) when we did a "Take your car on the track" day at Charlotte motor speedway (not spirited driving, just a tour) - all the warning lights appeared when we were on the 24 degree banked corners. They stayed on for a couple start/stops, but a simple disconnect and reconnect of the battery resolved them. That would always be my first order of business for anyone else presented with this issue for the first time.

Further, this diagram of the rear diff shows two actual sensors, one for the fluid temp and one for the fluid pressure. https://www.acuraexpressparts.com/v-...erential-mount

Did they happen to give you a part number of the sensor replaced when they did that job Otis? I'm curious which sensor is actually causing the code to be thrown, though I'd imagine it's the pressure sensor. I also just realized, I have a 2016 and I'm wondering if every vehicle in the generation had the same differential.
Sorry, I had the wrong part name. They kept saying sensor, but it was the rear differential solenoid assembly, Acura part # 48350-5TG-003. It's part #18 in the Acura parts diagram link you provided above.
The Acura Technical Service Bulletin is 15-012 = "AWD Light Comes On and Sets DTC C1858-73". (That's the code my 2014 RDX AWD produced.)
SYMPTOM The electric differential pressure solenoid (EDPS) has excessive oil pressure, causing the AWD indicator to come on and OTC C-1858-73 (differential fluid pressure deviation high) to set.
POSSIBLE CAUSES There is abnormal wear on the EPDS solenoid plunger.
CORRECTIVE ACTION Replace the EDPS solenoid in the rear differential.
Given my 94K miles the solenoid probably just reached it's end? This is my 3rd Acura, all purchased new (2004 MDX sold at 200K and current 2017 MDX 58Kmiles). My 2014 RDX is my 8th car (I keep them a long time) and it is BY FAR the most reliable car I have ever owned. Nothing but normal maintenance, except this item (which I'll classify as normal wear). And the V6 rocks!!! The 2017 MDX is doing well, too... so far.
Hope this clarifies and helps.
The following 3 users liked this post by Otis123:
Kelsen (04-28-2023), Tech (04-27-2023), TheSauceBoss (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 215 Posts
Thanks a TON for providing that. I am unsure how prevalent this issue is throughout the community of owners here, but that service bulletin and corresponding part number is a great reference point to have for people that may experience this issue in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheSauceBoss:
Kelsen (04-28-2023), Otis123 (04-27-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 09:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Otis123
Yes! My 2014 RDX AWD light came on everytime after driving a couple miles. I took it to Wappingers, NY Acura for a rear differential fluid change at 94K in March. They claimed they found burnt red fluid, gave me the computer code, and drove it with a laptop connected to diagnose. Said it had the wrong fluid in it and if the light came on again i'd need a $5K rear differential. It did. They never showed me the fluid, but documented in writing.
So.... I then went back to the shop that did the last rear differential fluid change at 72K, Curry Honda in Yorktown, NY. I was mad. Told them and showed them all the paperwork. They said no way they put in the wrong fluid. They looked up the code, found the Honda and then Acura service bulletins, and said it's a known problem with the rear differential sensor. Same problem with the CRV, which has the same components (pre S-AWD). A week later they gave me a loaner and replaced the sensor and fluid for $800. Lots of labor because the rear differential has to be dropped. So far, so good, 1.5K miles. The AWD light comes on and then off when I start the car so I know the sensor is working and isn't disconnected. Someone isn't being honest. Time will tell which dealership it is but for now I'm not going back to Wappingers Acura!
Car dealerships are a mess right now! Good luck!
which sensor did they replace? There is only 1 temp sensor and 2 search coil assembly. A left and right
Old 05-15-2023, 11:12 PM
6th Gear

2014 RDX AWD Warning Light

Sorry, they replaced the rear differential solenoid.
(see above)

Last edited by Otis123; 05-15-2023 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:52 AM
Instructor

Hey im going to order the awd module/ control unit. However for my car it shows 2 different part #s does anyone know the difference between the two. See image