Transmission "symptoms" prior to meltdown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission "symptoms" prior to meltdown?

As far as transmission failures are concerned (and I don't know how I'd "search" this to find the answers) but it looks like, from the various posts anyway, that some transmissions exhibited symptoms before failure, and some just "blew" all-of-a-sudden. Is this correct, or did most exhibit some sort of symtoms before giving up? As I said in a previous post, I have over 130,000 miles on mine and its still going strong without ANY issues whatsoever. But, after reading all these posts, I'm wondering if its just gonna "blow" at some point without warning, or will there be some tell-tale signs? I'd hate to be on the road somewhere and have it just "go" without any warning.
I usually drive my car pretty conservatively because I do a lot of road trips for work, and I want better gas mileage, but lately, after reading all the posts, I have been driving it a little more agressively to see if I can get it to slip or do something that might indicate a problem with the transmission....nothing. No slips, no "roars", not a single indication.

So please, chime in with an answer. Maybe I'm just freaked after reading all the horror stories about the transmission failures, and I do want to sell the car with a clean conscience...OR, sell my other car and just keep the CL.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 183 Posts
Off to tranny section
Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Intermediate

...where it just sits with no comments. Thanks Fuzzy
Old 10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Advanced

Asked similar question.....look through my posts....Studebaker
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Pro

is this the thread you're talking about? still not that useful,

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/chrome-cl-s-rims-springs-left-185999/
Old 10-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced

Try my post on the same issue #2690111..... more information, less stickies.
Best.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:53 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by MrMajstyk
As far as transmission failures are concerned (and I don't know how I'd "search" this to find the answers) but it looks like, from the various posts anyway, that some transmissions exhibited symptoms before failure, and some just "blew" all-of-a-sudden. Is this correct, or did most exhibit some sort of symtoms before giving up? As I said in a previous post, I have over 130,000 miles on mine and its still going strong without ANY issues whatsoever. But, after reading all these posts, I'm wondering if its just gonna "blow" at some point without warning, or will there be some tell-tale signs? I'd hate to be on the road somewhere and have it just "go" without any warning.
I usually drive my car pretty conservatively because I do a lot of road trips for work, and I want better gas mileage, but lately, after reading all the posts, I have been driving it a little more agressively to see if I can get it to slip or do something that might indicate a problem with the transmission....nothing. No slips, no "roars", not a single indication.

So please, chime in with an answer. Maybe I'm just freaked after reading all the horror stories about the transmission failures, and I do want to sell the car with a clean conscience...OR, sell my other car and just keep the CL.

Thanks.
My personal expierence with honda/acura was great ive had two prior integras those are bullet proof hondas no problems what so ever one was 98 other 00 but something happened in 01 the engineers most have been smokin crack or something, because there design & innovation has gone to shit i currently have a 05 tsx and a 06 tl type-s both are semi-auto and both suffer from same problem (when i get on it) my tranny starts to scream
and continues all threw 3500 rpms it finally stops around 4500 rpm,s im not even sure it stops it just might be to loud to hear,it really pisses me off. what happened to todays cars just goes to show they dont make them like they used to.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMajstyk

snip :P

Thanks.
signs of impending doom

significantly longer shifting when cold compared to normal
jumps in and out of gear
intermittent CEL
fluid burns quickly (like my car 3 fluid changes within 13K miles)
lurching intermittently
slams into gear when really hot outside