Tranny worries (kinda) addressed by Comptech:

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001 | 07:43 AM
Old timer

Tranny worries (kinda) addressed by Comptech:

TRANNY CONCERNS

The Comptech Supercharger, according to Comptech, will only require Redline ATF tranny fluid, and a transmission cooler and will NOT require any Level 10 TC's or other build ups out of the box. Bob reported that they have over 10k hard miles on their test AV6 and have not had any tranny problems with it.
Now, that says test AV6, not test CL-S. Does the Accord even have the same shitty transmission we do? I thought they had a weaker version (weaker shift-wise, not weaker durability-wise).

So I don't know that our fears are allayed just yet.

Although it sure would be nice if they offered a two-year warranty or something that covered the tranny. I could see a tranny cooler and special tranny fluid being necessary and worthwhile investments, but if the CL-S also requires a Level10 workover, then I think it's not worth it for many of us.

Oh and
Projected Release for AV6: END OF NOVEMBER
I wonder if that means for us, too....?

Quotes from: http://www.v6accord.com/forums/showt...3178#post16862
Old 11-01-2001 | 08:19 AM
Senior Moderator

i've been hearing lately...a tranny cooler for our car would be all but impossible...we donot have the same setup as accord or 99tl...no t cooler in radiator
Old 11-01-2001 | 08:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Agreed and verified by the service manual (page 10-2) no tranny cooller, or an easy way to facilitate, exists for us.

Jrocks Accord tranny theory is also correct. As my last car was a y2k Accord SE sedan.

I'd be very leary about running this beast on a non cooled trans. Maybe we can talk Level10 into helping those fortunate enough to soon be in need of it!

Jim
Old 11-01-2001 | 10:46 AM
The Slim Member

I suggest if you are getting a SC, you should spend the extra $2500 to get your tranny rebuilt by Level 10. I used to run Redline ATF fluid on my Civic Ex w/ 4speed auto trans and I still blew my tranny. But I did drive that car hard. You rather be safe than sorry.
Old 11-01-2001 | 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I think i will use redline ATF at my next trany fluid change just for insurance.
Old 12-31-2001 | 04:05 PM
Banned

Tranny Cooler

So your saying there's NO way to Install A Transmission Cooler on our Car ???

Originally posted by typeR
i've been hearing lately...a tranny cooler for our car would be all but impossible...we donot have the same setup as accord or 99tl...no t cooler in radiator
Old 12-31-2001 | 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

We already have a basic transmission cooler. Or at least that's what I thought that small loop of piping was in front of the radiator. For additional cooling, wouldn't it be fairly easy to tap into that line and then bolt in an aftermarket cooler? Here's a pic showing what I'm talking about.
Old 12-31-2001 | 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by tinman
We already have a basic transmission cooler. Or at least that's what I thought that small loop of piping was in front of the radiator. For additional cooling, wouldn't it be fairly easy to tap into that line and then bolt in an aftermarket cooler? Here's a pic showing what I'm talking about.
Fred ...how you doin'????he got somethin for ya...went to auto zone today...looking for something i could squeeze between the coils of the rear springs...not with the intent to raise it any but to lessen the squat effect from launch....it works great...feels alot better and i think you could lift you rear just enough if you wanna try it...4 $... on the cooler note ...who has a helms...are you sure thats not the A/C line???
Old 12-31-2001 | 07:52 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Originally posted by tinman
IIRC, that loop is actually for the power steering fluid...
Old 12-31-2001 | 08:26 PM
Banned

Power Steering !

Ok, so that takes us back to the Rear of the Engine again !

I don't have a Helms.

Originally posted by IntegraVT

IIRC, that loop is actually for the power steering fluid...
Old 12-31-2001 | 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by typeR
Fred ...how you doin'????he got somethin for ya...went to auto zone today...looking for something i could squeeze between the coils of the rear springs...not with the intent to raise it any but to lessen the squat effect from launch....it works great...feels alot better and i think you could lift you rear just enough if you wanna try it...4 $... on the cooler note ...who has a helms...are you sure thats not the A/C line???
Hey Steve, I was wrong!!!!! Sorry folks! That tubing is for cooling the power steering fluid (as IntegraVT mentioned). Interestingly though, on page 14-64 of the Helm manual, it has a diagram that shows the fluid going "to ATF cooler" but I don't see any more info on the location of the cooler. Also, it shows a replaceable ATF filter on page 14-175. I remember others saying there was no filter, but only a mesh screen for the filtering the fluid. Alright, maybe it's time for the heavyweights (Jens, et al) to step in on this cooler topic...

Thanks for the tip on that material for the rear springs. I'm going to try lowering the fronts a bit first though. I'll keep ya posted on the results.
Old 12-31-2001 | 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I found a better picture of the ATF filter on page 14-228. It looks like it’s on the bottom side of the transmission and since that feeder hose (item I) is appears to be rubber, it could probably be tapped for an auxiliary cooler. Still can't find any info on the stock cooler.
Old 01-01-2002 | 12:06 PM
retired

The stock cooler is located on top of the trans .It looks like a metal barrel with a fat hose and a thin hose going to it .It is a liquid to liquid type cooler .It uses the engine coolant as it's cooling medium .I do not know of a means to tap into it .The hoses carry coolant not trans fluid .I have to take a close look at this thing and see if it could possibly be removed and what is underneath it .I have an idea (unconfirmed for now) that it may be possible to take this cooler out install a fitting commonly used to add an engine oil cooler to an engine not so equipped .For those of you who have seen these add on engine oil coolers they are the ones that sandwich in between the oil filter and the it's mounting boss on the engine itself .This style cooler has two hoses on it which could then be routed to the front of the car to an add on cooler .GSR integras have a similar setup .This style oil cooler is commonly available in the aftermarket from many suppliers .Next chance I get I will see if it is possible to do this .Based on my conversations with the engineers at Acura i suspect (Just my opinion here)that one of the problems with our gearboxes may be the cooler currently in use.Jens
Old 01-01-2002 | 12:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jens, please keep us posted. Great info, as always.

Jim
Old 01-01-2002 | 02:51 PM
Banned

T. Cooler

Thanks Jens ! Keep us Posted.

Due to a Recent "incident" -- Thank Goodness--not my Fault, I'm having my Hood, Front Bumper Replaced, along with the Left Light Fixture. Pefect Time to have a T.Cooler Put on if it is at ALL Possible. I'll talk with the Acura Service Guys and see what they say as well.
Old 01-01-2002 | 04:01 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I thought that the engine coolant is used to warm up the transimission when its too cold. Not to cool it down.

The intent is to reduce the rough shifting when the tranny is too cold.

Check HELM's page 10-3!
Old 01-01-2002 | 05:57 PM
retired

That is also true but once it's warmed up I believe it also acts as a cooler.Jens
Old 01-01-2002 | 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

No wonder that thing was so difficult to find. The manual refers to it as a cooler in one section then a warmer in another. Good find Nashua. Here's a scan for those w/o the manual.
Old 01-02-2002 | 06:17 PM
retired

Ok I looked over the trans I had to replace today and it appears my idea for a add on trans cooler are not workable.The trans cooler/warmer is mounted in such a fashion that it is not possible to sandwich an adapter in there.However i have another idea but I need to research it some more.I'll let you know.Jens
Old 01-02-2002 | 06:42 PM
Drifting

Awesome Jens.
Originally posted by Jens Heydel
Ok I looked over the trans I had to replace today and it appears my idea for a add on trans cooler are not workable.The trans cooler/warmer is mounted in such a fashion that it is not possible to sandwich an adapter in there.However i have another idea but I need to research it some more.I'll let you know.Jens
Old 01-02-2002 | 07:11 PM
Banned

great news !

Thanks Jens

In the meantime, I would "encourage" anyone in the "i've got a Transmission Problem" Group to at least Email or Call Acura.

www.acura.com

Look for the Help screen. There's a Place in there for Lengthy email. Give them the scoop on your problems.

If they hear "Recall" and "Lawsuit" enough, I'm sure they'll take notice.

I pointed them to our Transmission Forum.

Originally posted by Jens Heydel
Old 01-02-2002 | 07:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for looking into it Jens. Moving to Tranny problems forum.
Old 01-02-2002 | 08:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Just a few comments...

If someone wanted to make a "viable" transmission cooler, they would need to:

1. Get Acura waiver (no kidding)

2. A quick look at the pressure, flow, and temp variation from the coolant side could provide some rough requirements for a cooler if someone should demonstrate that it would help.

3. A small electric pump to move "coolant" (probably water + glycol) to a front mounted radiator could be possible. (Think drag car water pumps)

4. A small thermostat to set the proper operating temperatures could do wonders.

One of the issues that someone will have to deal with is ... finding out the transfer capacity of the "existing" fluid-to-fluid intercooler. If there was some limitation and it did turn out that the fluid needed a good cooling during high-power/high-load situations, it could be possible to design a thermostat to actually drop the temperature of the coolant. (This could be accomplished by suitable tests and measuring the intake flow temp and the out going flow temp.

IMO -- This is not rocket science
Old 01-02-2002 | 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I haven't installed one yet because I really didn't see an immediate need. But I have looked into the possibility and it is very doable, but not for the inexperienced or weak-at-heart... There were naysayers when I installed the first one on the latest GTP’s and they now seem to be the norm…

There is a hard line with a flexible couple that runs between case and the filter. With some use of the appropriate fittings and careful routing of hose it can certainly be made to work. But before running out, buying fittings and cutting hoses, be sure the flow and pressure are fine.

If desired, I'll be the guinea pig. I have a 200 psi transducer here right now so pressure tests in this area should be easy enough. After that the rest will be just simple plumbing.

I'll dig into the area tomorrow night and pick up the fittings on Friday for testing to be done this Saturday. If the pressure tests show well, I'll waste some fluid for a quick (and hopefully clean) flow test. If that works out I'll have a cooler in and running by Saturday afternoon.

Of course pics will be included; I have to try out the new digital camera...
Old 01-02-2002 | 09:04 PM
Banned

Ok !

Scalbert

Discuss with Jens. He had a Transmission out just today. He just emailed me this after I told him I was "considering" one :

It is possible that there are dealers who have not seen any failed transmissions at all .We have four in this week one of which is on my lift right now .As for the trans cooler ,this is what we call the great gray area.In theory you are protected under the Magnussen warranty act .If you run a search in the forum you will find references to it.Basically unless the dealer or manufacturer can prove whatever you added to the car caused a problem they cannot refuse warranty service.I looked over the trans i am working on today and there does seem to be a way to attach a cooler to the beast.However and this is the big if ,I have no way of knowing if it will help or cause problems.As it stands I would wait and see what Acura is doing about this and then take it from there.jens

Caddy

Originally posted by scalbert
I haven't installed one yet because I really didn't see an immediate need. But I have looked into the possibility and it is very doable, but not for the inexperienced or weak-at-heart... There were naysayers when I installed the first one on the latest GTP’s and they now seem to be the norm…

There is a hard line with a flexible couple that runs between case and the filter. With some use of the appropriate fittings and careful routing of hose it can certainly be made to work. But before running out, buying fittings and cutting hoses, be sure the flow and pressure are fine.

If desired, I'll be the guinea pig. I have a 200 psi transducer here right now so pressure tests in this area should be easy enough. After that the rest will be just simple plumbing.

I'll dig into the area tomorrow night and pick up the fittings on Friday for testing to be done this Saturday. If the pressure tests show well, I'll waste some fluid for a quick (and hopefully clean) flow test. If that works out I'll have a cooler in and running by Saturday afternoon.

Of course pics will be included; I have to try out the new digital camera...
Old 01-02-2002 | 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

I certainly agree about the grey area and without trying we will not know for sure. Testing this outside of the real world is not feasible enough for us so someone would have to try it...

Anyone else want to step up to the plate, I have no problem letting someone else go before me??

I may even toss the idea off my dealer and see what their thoughts are.
Old 01-02-2002 | 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I certainly agree about the grey area and without trying we will not know for sure. Testing this outside of the real world is not feasible enough for us so someone would have to try it...

Anyone else want to step up to the plate, I have no problem letting someone else go before me??

I may even toss the idea off my dealer and see what their thoughts are.

Are you even sure that the existing "exchanger" would NOT provide enough cooling (given a suitable temp. differential)?
Old 01-02-2002 | 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL

Are you even sure that the existing "exchanger" would NOT provide enough cooling (given a suitable temp. differential)?
You have a point and thermocouples are cheap... Or even a simple, out-of-site transmission temperature gauge. However, this time of year isn't a good testing time, we really need mid July - August stuck on I285 (here in Atlanta at least) in 100 degree heat and high humidity.

But even by leaving it running in idle for 30 minutes with a little mixed driving would give an indication of normal High operating temperatures. If it hits 220, we could certainly look for a needed drop; 190 - 200 would be better.

Again, something very easy to test and leave in there.
Old 01-03-2002 | 10:10 PM
Banned

Find Anything

Yo Scalbert

Did you dig around your Transmission today ?

You have a point and thermocouples are cheap... Or even a simple, out-of-site transmission temperature gauge. However, this time of year isn't a good testing time, we really need mid July - August stuck on I285 (here in Atlanta at least) in 100 degree heat and high humidity.

But even by leaving it running in idle for 30 minutes with a little mixed driving would give an indication of normal High operating temperatures. If it hits 220, we could certainly look for a needed drop; 190 - 200 would be better.

Again, something very easy to test and leave in there.
Old 01-04-2002 | 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Find Anything

Originally posted by caddy

Did you dig around your Transmission today ?
Yes and no, not completely for a cooler but I did verfy that a temperature sending unti will fit fine. After the dialogue with Eric I did feel that the temperature should be tested first.

If it doesn't get too high in extreme conditions there really isn't a point. So I'll be adding a gauge (albeit, hidden in the glove or center console) Saturday to measure transaxle fluid temp.

I'll let ya know what the results are.
Old 01-05-2002 | 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

After spending some time at the dealer this morning the transaxle fluid temperature testing is on hold. I'm working up a deal to take delivery ASAP of a '03 6-Speed.

But if this doesn't pan out I'll get back on it. But there isn't a need for the time and expense (albeit minimal) when I won't have the automatic but for a few more months.
Old 01-05-2002 | 04:30 PM
Banned

Bad for Us, Good for you.

I know a bunch of you guys are looking forward to Shifting Gears again, but that's one of the things I like about the SS/Auto. I don't have to anymore. Guess my age is showing. I shifted for too many years and finally got tired of it in my Mid 30-late 30s.

What color you getting Scalbert ?

After spending some time at the dealer this morning the transaxle fluid temperature testing is on hold. I'm working up a deal to take delivery ASAP of a '03 6-Speed.

But if this doesn't pan out I'll get back on it. But there isn't a need for the time and expense (albeit minimal) when I won't have the automatic but for a few more months.
Old 01-05-2002 | 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by caddy
Bad for Us, Good for you.

I know a bunch of you guys are looking forward to Shifting Gears again, but that's one of the things I like about the SS/Auto. I don't have to anymore. Guess my age is showing. I shifted for too many years and finally got tired of it in my Mid 30-late 30s.

What color you getting Scalbert ?

I'm suffering from the same "old age" problems... (There’s always the 2nd car with a shifter... until the SMGs come out and we forget about slush boxes -- forever...)
Old 01-05-2002 | 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

And I was going to call you "Master Sensei Sensor"
Old 01-05-2002 | 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Ah, heck. I'll do it anyway. I was still curious about the temps, and it is only about $30 and an hour install.

I'll pick up a guage tomorrow and put it in.
Old 01-06-2002 | 09:05 AM
Banned

:)

That's what i'm Talkin bout !

Your a Good Man Scalbert, don't care what your WIFE says about you !

Ah, heck. I'll do it anyway. I was still curious about the temps, and it is only about $30 and an hour install.

I'll pick up a guage tomorrow and put it in.
Old 07-10-2007 | 02:10 AM
10th Gear

Tranny temps

Does anyone know what the outcome of this was? I am new to the board and really curious to know as I have 250km on the clock and wan't to preserve the tranny (most likely its 2nd) as much as possible.

Thanks for any advice/help you can offer

Regards