Tranny #4 dead at 83K

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's funny that we pay for the sport version, yet have to baby the hell out of them or they'll break. Then be called "poor drivers", even when some have been to advanced driving schools and race cars as a hobby. Curiously, a bone stock Mustang can take a beating WELL beyond their specified limits and keep on ticking past 150K. The Mustang is a lower class, lower cost and much lower on the technology scale compared to the CL-S, so why are these cars breaking?

I do not appreciate being characterized as a "poor driver" simply because my transmission has broken and brakes are warped, especially when the accuser is totally in the wrong. Why else would there be multiple TSBs and a 100k extension unless they know there is a engineering flaw with their product?

On a side note, this will also be my last Honda automobile. I have been left horrified by the lies from the "Certified Techs"(brakes "too rusted to turn", bent valve/rod when it was simply a head gasket, the list goes on). My sympathies truly go out to those who know little about cars and dish out thousands of dollars not knowing any better.
Old 10-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reading over this post I think it is obvious that there are a few people who did not bother to read the document that American Honda submitted to the NHTSA in regards to their crappy 5 speed auto. First our tranny is built in the states! With parts in the states. The document AH submitted even lists the two distinct transfer of parts manufacturing and the HORRIBLE quality control that followed during the transfer - which is reason #1 for their crappy transmission. Secondly, AH acknowledges that the 2-3rd gear shifting (in either direction) is the most detrimental to the destruction of their crappy design .. so regardless of how you drive your car .. shifting between these two gears will slowly destroy it. Of course, anyone forcing these shift will accelerate the destruction, but the facts are ACURA PUT OUT A PART LACKING ANY QUALITY WHATSOEVER. So I don't find it "odd" that someone is up to 5 (what I find odd is that they would tollerate such garbage) And anyone who believes the 'low single digit' failure rate must be buying into the garbage that the Acura reps are telling everyone - cuz god knows .. I heard a story from one that was way up over my hips in crap!

And lets just say .. the same stupid engineers (let us not forget the scratching of the heads and saying "I think we have it fixed now .. we are certain of that" statements in the document) that designed and tested the tranny .. did the sunroof .. brake rotors .. leather seating surfaces .. engine control systems .. and let's not forget the paint job! Acura is going in the wrong direction in quality .. Hell .. Dick Colliver (or however you spell it) even stated that very same thing in a USAToday story that was published last August .. it's the first accurate statement from Acura in quite awhile!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Matt and Divin,
Your points are founded in reality and only support the point I wastrying to make in the first place. These problems are not evident with every driver, for every car, but have reared their heads enough with 4000 posts on this forum alone and bulletins and extensions from Acura to make a case. Thank you for making some sense, not assumptions about driving style on which to base a counterarugment
Old 10-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Don't worry as the 04TL uses the same tranny, I've worked ona 3K mile MDX for a tranny leak- the MDX are starting to puke out around 30K miles...some are on their 3rd too.... I am a Acura tech who installs these hunks of shit trannies into their POS cars. NO sane mechanic in our shop drives a TL or CL. Its eighter Legends, or older Integras, then there are a few of us oddballs with turbo Maximas and Supras We hate Honda like no other. Hey but they pay so we work, simple as that.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Intermediate

Manic, the only clear concept that comes from your comments is your arrogance and the way in which it clouds (see the irony?) your thinking - which is why you will continue to spew your drivel while most of us reading your posts are mearly amused by your words.

Most other posters understand the Acura issues with these transmissions and their acceptance of responsibility via the extended warranty. Red6speed (and others) 1, manic 0 - game over.

Since you are so full of yourself and really have no capacity to get out from your cloud of arrogance, go ahead and reply with more of your drivel - we need the amusement....if I ever get back to this thread.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Instructor

wireless: thanks for the support
Manic: nobody likes you, not here nor in life.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

hmm..

It's interesting to hear you guys/gals got your tranny replaced with improve/better (claim) units....I have a 2002 and have been driving the living piss out of it to (hopefully) break the f*cker before warranty....to get it of the bad tranny in hope to get the improved version....so far, I can't break the f*cker.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:02 AM
4th Gear

Trany #3 going in at 54K miles

I was just starting to feel good again about by 01 CLs -- was going to dress her up with new wheels and anti-sways .... maybe even some lowering springs. Now I don't know what the f**k to do. I'd feel guilty pawning her off on some poor shmo that doesn't know he'll have to buy a new tranny every 25K after the OD kicks over 100k.

I figure I have two ways out: 1) get one of the idiots that run red lights around here to hit me and total her out, or 2) have Manic teach me how to drive.

How 'bout it, Manic?
Old 01-02-2004, 05:25 PM
7th Gear

tranny

I'm a new member. I'm reading everyones complaint about the auto tranny of the cl. I have a 98 3.0 w/ 88k , and the tranny seems to be shifting alot harder than normal lately. Any feedback is appreciated. Would 100k warrantee cover that. or would it have to actually die, to be covered?