Just got my new transmision at 45k...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my new transmision at 45k...

I took my CL down to an Acura dealer(Tustin Acura) after I got the recall notice. I told them that it had been shifting funny. But, as expected, they proceeded to jerk me off and tell me that my tranny was ok. They DID say that my tranny fluid was VERY dirty. Well, I'm no mechanic but I know that VERY dirty fluid usualy indicated that it is on it's last leg. So I took it to another dealer(Weir Canyon Acura-Highly recomended). All they did was drive it into the back and they could tell that it was messed up. So they said screw the fluid change(sweet! saved 120 bucks) they said that they were ordering a new tranny for me. So I am picking it up after work, we shall see how much better it is.

Also, there was like six new RLs at the dealership. THEY LOOK SWEEEEEEET!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:06 PM
Cruisin'

OK got it back...

Just drove home. Only a couple miles, but it is definatly different. Shifts are smoother and quieter. Also when at WOT, it seems to shift at slightly higher RPM keeping it in VTEC range(+5000RPM) durring acceleration. Aight, time to drive it some more...peace.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice, glad to here you got taken care of. Best of luck on the new tranny. Let's hope its your last.

Should of snapped some pics of the new RL's.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:47 PM
That's Racist

So the smoother shift is a good thing? Cause I kinda like the defined shifts. It really set the CL-S apart from my sister's '97 SC400. Does it make the car less fun to drive at all?
Old 08-31-2004, 11:22 PM
Cruisin'

OK here is the official review...

I drove probly 40 miles on the new tranny, and I am deffinatly impressed. First off just puting it into reverse and drive was way smoother. Even if I was rolling back a little bit and put it into drive it was smooth. As far as shifting, smoother all around. The upshift from first to second is much smoother. It's very comfortable at all speeds, but it doesn't have the same bite as the old tranny. I could chirp the tires(and I have 235s)with the old one. No way am I gonna do that with the new one. From second to third there is deffinatly more bite with this tranny, wich is at the same time smooth and tame at all speeds. Fourth and fifth are pleasantly smooth. What I was most please with was the downshifting. Coming down fourth and third is just marginaly smoother than the old tranny. But from third to second is where it shines. Before when I would go down to second I HAD to let off the brakes first and it would still throw me forward. Now I can downshift to second AND brake with controll and confidence. Cool tranny. Thanks Acura. But I won't be surprised if I'm sittin on the side of the road tomorrow, waiting for a tow truck.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Cruisin'

Never mind, chirped the tires in second this morning.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But I won't be surprised if I'm sittin on the side of the road tomorrow, waiting for a tow truck.
LOL! so I wonder if this new tranny also has the oil jet kit?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Cruisin'

Yeah I would suspect that the new one has the oil jet or something of equivelance. Also, strangest thing, my starter sounds different. And I'm sure that its not just in my head. It sounds faster and higher pitched. My old one sounded like the 'classic' honda starter. You know the same sound that you would hear from an 89 civic and a 04 NSX.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:35 PM
go go go go go

I notice that too after my tranny replacement

Before the new tranny the car had a sluggish start, after the new tranny was installed it sound like a brand new starter was put in. Also the shift points are alot different. It feels like thats a good thing as the tranny finds the gear and locks up faster. I like the newer tranny, seems stronger than the orginal. I got to get my oil jet installed now. I still chirp shifting into second gear and I don't have to floor it since I added CT headers. I'm happy with the new tranny. How long is it going to last? I don't know. Thats the only thing worrying me.
Originally Posted by beninanaheim
Yeah I would suspect that the new one has the oil jet or something of equivelance. Also, strangest thing, my starter sounds different. And I'm sure that its not just in my head. It sounds faster and higher pitched. My old one sounded like the 'classic' honda starter. You know the same sound that you would hear from an 89 civic and a 04 NSX.