Wierd Noise After Shock Install...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004 | 10:27 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Wierd Noise After Shock Install...

Ok so I had H&R Sport Springs than later I decided to get Tokico Shocks installed so I just got them installed yesterday. I hear this wierd noise comming from the front Left side of the car. Where the strut/spring is. I here a crackling noise like you hear when you first get your springs installed. So someone told me my axle might be fucked up. But can this happen from installing shocks or is it normal? It just happens at the front left. Could the spring be in there wrong? I checked all the bolts under the hood and everything is tight. The tightening is the same on both sides cause I counted the threads on each bolt and they all matched up except the left one was 1/2 a thread off, but that shouldnt make a large difference. So than I pushed down on the front side of the car to see if I could hear anything and I did i heard that crackling sound sorta it sounded like something was pressing against another thing or hitting it. It was coming from the left side. I dont know what it could be? Everything seems fine the alignment is alright to I know the strut should be on there correctly. Is this normal? Did any of you hear this? I still hear it I've probably driven about 60-70 miles so far with the new shocks. I only hear it when I go over uneven pavement slowly. Mainly everytime I go down my driveway or fill up gas.

Someone help me

Veeral

EDIT: I also heard it could be the wheel bearings...

oh yeah I'm riding H&R Sports w/ 19's... (1.7 front 1.5 back)
Old 12-25-2004 | 10:54 PM
Former Sponsor

OMG i feel the same exact thing from my TEIn ss, like friction, or sounds like something is over tightened and metal on metal creaking. only on take off when the front of the car lifts and the rear squats. I checked in the wheel wells a few times and everything looks fine. I even had my front axles changed under warranty for a seperate problem, and there is the same noise, so i doubt its the axles. I sprayed WD40 on all the bushings and joints, but the same sound, don't know what it is, and i'm pretty sure we are talking about the same exact thing. Almost sounds like a creaking, or crackling, friction type of sound. post the resolution if you find out what it was.
Old 12-25-2004 | 10:57 PM
I NEED MONEY!

Originally Posted by rondog
OMG i feel the same exact thing from my TEIn ss, like friction, or sounds like something is over tightened and metal on metal creaking. only on take off when the front of the car lifts and the rear squats. I checked in the wheel wells a few times and everything looks fine. I even had my front axles changed under warranty for a seperate problem, and there is the same noise, so i doubt its the axles. I sprayed WD40 on all the bushings and joints, but the same sound, don't know what it is, and i'm pretty sure we are talking about the same exact thing. Almost sounds like a creaking, or crackling, friction type of sound. post the resolution if you find out what it was.
yeah mines the same... Does yours only come from a certain area of the car? cause mines just form the front left area where the spring/shocks are...
Old 12-25-2004 | 11:04 PM
Former Sponsor

it might just sound liek that to you, since your seat is there, I drove next to a wall with the window down in both directions, and it sounded just as loud both ways. could be both sides. I also noticed with the harder setting, it doesn't do it as much, cuz there is less travel allowed, and in warmer temp, it does it less. Sounds very loud, like a clicking, but I really can't find where its comign from. I'm gonna raise my rid height and see if it's still there.
Old 12-25-2004 | 11:07 PM
I NEED MONEY!

it might just sound liek that to you, since your seat is there, I drove next to a wall with the window down in both directions, and it sounded just as loud both ways. could be both sides. I also noticed with the harder setting, it doesn't do it as much, cuz there is less travel allowed, and in warmer temp, it does it less. Sounds very loud, like a clicking, but I really can't find where its comign from. I'm gonna raise my rid height and see if it's still there.
yeah but i shook the the front of the car and made it bounce w/ the hook open and the car in park, i could hear the sound coming from the left side of the car... one of my friends said it could be the springs trying to settle in...but shouldnt they have already settled in from when i first got them...cause I just put on my new shocks now...
Old 12-25-2004 | 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

I found this, sounds like a solution,
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...spension+noise
I'm gonna have a shop that did the original work re tighten everything again, hopefully that'll do it. if not, I'll have them disassemble the coilovers and reinstall them, and pay for it, that has to be the problem solver in a worst case.
Old 12-25-2004 | 11:39 PM
I NEED MONEY!

I found this, sounds like a solution,
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...spension+noise
I'm gonna have a shop that did the original work re tighten everything again, hopefully that'll do it. if not, I'll have them disassemble the coilovers and reinstall them, and pay for it, that has to be the problem solver in a worst case.
ahh...I really hope that works...I will find out monday and will post the results ASAP..thanks soo much rondog!
Old 12-27-2004 | 03:38 PM
I NEED MONEY!

CONCLUSION!

I found the problem after 3 hard hours of taking off the everything and putting everything on. Thinking it was the axle scared the shit out of me..than thinking it was the rack & pinion. Finally we put the whole car up and looked around we found it! A Loost stablizer bar bolt. It must have lost its grip from swaying too much or what I dont know. But the noise is gone! And I'm happy! Now my next project: ALPHA WERKS HEADERS...I'll let ya know how that goes...Jan 8th..or around there

Thanks for all your help RonDog it helped me find the problem..
Old 12-28-2004 | 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VeeralS05
CONCLUSION!

I found the problem after 3 hard hours of taking off the everything and putting everything on. Thinking it was the axle scared the shit out of me..than thinking it was the rack & pinion. Finally we put the whole car up and looked around we found it! A Loost stablizer bar bolt. It must have lost its grip from swaying too much or what I dont know. But the noise is gone! And I'm happy! Now my next project: ALPHA WERKS HEADERS...I'll let ya know how that goes...Jan 8th..or around there

Thanks for all your help RonDog it helped me find the problem..
Thank you, I'm gonna check that out next! hope that is the same noise.