Ultra Racing lower 4-point brace & Cusco lower Tie bar installed on CG2(01 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ultra Racing lower 4-point brace & Cusco lower Tie bar installed on CG2(01 Accord)

Yeah, I don't own an Acura CL, but our Chassis are pretty much the same if not exact in the front.

The U/R 4 point brace uses existing hardware. Just mount it up with your OEM bolts. Same for the Cusco, but you guys knew that cause there are some threads in the TL section that show it installed.

!! There is only about 1/4 of an inch between the flex pipe and the U/R brace. Hard to tell in the pic but theres some room there. !!

I installed the U/R brace about 1 month ago. Then, I installed the Cusco today so I could see if it made any difference with the U/R brace.
At this time, I haven't tested out the Cusco. After I installed the Cusco, I polished and waxed my wheels. I got a late start today and didn't finish them until tonite.

I did feel a difference with the U/R 4 point brace. When you hit bumps the front end stays more planted. You can feel the suspension working more. It's more stable.

However, I do have some added vibration at idle(when in Drive) and when crusing around 1800-1900 rpm. But, I attribute this to the poly-filled OEM engine mounts. I already had alot of vibration when the J35 went in, so that same vibration is being transmitted thru the U/R brace. If your running on non-polyfilled OEM mounts, you probably won't have any if just a little vibration.

It is hard to tell from the pics, but the Cusco sits just as low as the U/R brace. I have not had any clearance issues with the U/R brace, but I am only lowered 2 inches on Eibach Sportlines. If your slammed you can forget using either brace.

I also looked at the rest of the chassis and I don't see any place to mount a mid or rear Bolt-in brace. There are no OEM mounting bolts you could use. You might be able to weld some in, but the exhaust pipe might be an issue. You would need to either have it go over the piping, if possible, or under. But if you go under the piping you will lose ALOT of clearance.

So, we could go inside the car for additional bracing. You could use a *room/floor bar, harness bar, or an Autopower steet roll bar.

* Yet to be determined.

I kinda looked at room/floor bars for addt'l bracing, and so has Brian6Speed. But, there is no specific application for the Accord or CL. There might be one we could use for another model of car. I and maybe Brain will check into it.

I also considered the Autopower roll bar, but I use a wheelchair and I'm not sure if that would interfere with my wheels going behind the driver seat. Besides, that is not a project I can do by myself.

- Michael
Old 05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Thnx for the info. I will be getting my UR bar on wednesday then should be able to confirm that It fits cl. I think a floor bar from the 03-08 tsx might work. Hopefully I can test that out later down the road.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
interested what does it do exactly ? any links ? where to get ?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Lone Wolf

Originally Posted by StreetKA
interested what does it do exactly ? any links ? where to get ?
It reduces chassis flex so your shocks do more of the work. If you are dropped more than 2 inches I would not recommend these. Ur bar was bought on eBay.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 PM
ronrecr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the cusco bar and the ultra racing bar...wow what a difference they made,, made such a change in how it steered and taking a onramp is just awesome,,so much of a tighter feel...cusco bar made a bit of a difference but the ultra bar and the cusco...just impressive..besides the progress rsb ,,best money I have spent
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 AM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Originally Posted by ronrecr_RENAMED
I have the cusco bar and the ultra racing bar...wow what a difference they made,, made such a change in how it steered and taking a onramp is just awesome,,so much of a tighter feel...cusco bar made a bit of a difference but the ultra bar and the cusco...just impressive..besides the progress rsb ,,best money I have spent

CL or TL?

let's see some pics man, or it never happened.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Lone Wolf

wheeelman is that orangish brown spots on the UR bar rust? I was thinking I should send it to a powdercoater before I install it(mine should arrive today).
Old 05-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Id probably destroy that thing in a heartbeat. I wish we had more clearance under there.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:45 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Originally Posted by brian6speed
wheeelman is that orangish brown spots on the UR bar rust? I was thinking I should send it to a powdercoater before I install it(mine should arrive today).

lol. roadkill blood. hit some dead critter the other day. Couldn't tell a part of it was sticking up until i got up on it.

I posted on another forum and some else asked about it. So, I went outside to see if it would wipe off. It did.

Awesome man, let us know when it fits and post pics.

Actually, mount it up Before you powder coat. they gonna take off the paint anyways so it doesn't matter if you scratch it up. It's going to fit, but just in case it doenst would be a shame to spend $$ to powdercoat then have it not fit.

I thought about a powder coat for it also but decided not too. Was also going to powder coat the Cusco in white to match the U/R. But, it's under the car.

I think the best coating for the U/R brace would be some kind of Rust Inhibitor coating or perhaps alot of powdercoat/clearcoat(you can powdercoat with just a clearcoat correct?).

Last edited by WHEEELMAN; 05-04-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:48 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Id probably destroy that thing in a heartbeat. I wish we had more clearance under there.

It's solid steel. It might even take some of your car along with it. lol

yeah the brace, at its tallest point, is about 1.5 inches. So, you do lose clearance. Cusco, ehh, maybe about .5 inches lower than the U/R brace.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:55 PM

I may take a look at building my own brace, maybe lower profile, if possible.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:39 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
I may take a look at building my own brace, maybe lower profile, if possible.

you know, when you look into that; take a look at the rear and see if....

1. We need any add'tl bracing, if at all, in the rear of the chassis
2. if so, what would we need, have room for, etc,;
1 simple bar or 2 point, 4 point brace, etc.

besides, if heres not really any place for addt'l braing. The Autopower Roll Bar could always do some good.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 PM

Ive thought about doing something with the rear as well. Havent looking into it in depth though. Its been awhile since Ive had my car on the lift to see.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Lone Wolf

My cusco bar is also on its way. For the rear, I will be using a universal harness bar that connects to b pillars and floor. I also think a tsx floor brace and trunk brace might fit. There are a few spots in the trunk it could attach to and the pics look similar. I was also considering the autopower, most likely the street sport roll cage version. Just not sure if I want to drill holes in floorboards for that.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Lone Wolf

I installed eibach front sway, moog endlinks, cusco tiebar, and the UR 4 point brace today. It went fairly smoothly. The UR brace(made for accord) does need some slight modifying to fit on the cl. On the driver side of the car, there is an extra rail that is not on the passenger side. This rail has edges that stick down/out more. This gets in the way of the UR bar. I had to grind off some metal from one end, then I also grinded down the lip on the rail where it was in the way of the bar.
this is end part I ground down to fit.

this is the frame rail I had to grind down. The black is just touch up paint to stop it from rusting.

I havnt driven with then yet, I will post impressions later.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WHEEELMAN

I also looked at the rest of the chassis and I don't see any place to mount a mid or rear Bolt-in brace. There are no OEM mounting bolts you could use. You might be able to weld some in, but the exhaust pipe might be an issue. You would need to either have it go over the piping, if possible, or under. But if you go under the piping you will lose ALOT of clearance.

So, we could go inside the car for additional bracing. You could use a *room/floor bar, harness bar, or an Autopower steet roll bar.

* Yet to be determined.

- Michael
I have a rear lower tie bar on my CL which mounts w/ longer bolts at the rear lower control arm mounting points. I believe it was made by OBX. I put in on a long time ago but I sorta recall not being astounded by the difference it made. Certainly not a big difference like adding stiffer rear sway bar or changing to polyurethane bushings.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 AM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Nice Brian.

On our Accords, we dont have that "lip" on the edge of the frame rail. The Accords have the same type on both sides -- what your passenger side rail looks like.

That rail on the Driver side looks totally different than your passenger side rail.

**You will really notice the increase in front end "stability", when you go hard through a curve/turn.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:46 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

5-12-11 UPDATE(review of Cusco brace):

Could not really tell any addt'l benefit from the Cusco. However, I would think it is reducing flex in that area somewhat.

Overall review :
With BOTH pieces --- Hard cornering and taking curvy roads feels more "stable"; Ultra Racing uses this term to describe the effects. Front end feels more planted. If you need to make an "adjustment" while in a curve/turn, the "feel" of the front end is alot more firm, not squishy. I like the feeling the bracing has added. Road Course and Auto-X would benefit from chassis bracing. Daily driving could see some benefit; emergency maneuvers from dummy drivers, etc.

Best bang for your buck would be the Ultra Racing 4 point. and if you wanna dib out a lil more cash for another tie bar, I would do it...won't make it any worse?

....kinda looking into this piece for now. Lower REAR 4 point, Lil bit more research and I will know.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
nice but it really kills the ground clearance.. i've already dented my front downpipe on the roads here
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rp_guy
nice but it really kills the ground clearance.. i've already dented my front downpipe on the roads here
Yeah I was considering the front lower Cusco bar, but some folk here said scraping was a problem. So since I didn't wanna be the 'street cleana', I ended up making one out of channel steel. The addition did sharpen turn-in a bit, but not in a major way.
Kind of the same outcome for all the bars including the front upper Cusco which goes on in addition to the stock strut bar and the rear lower tie bar. The addition of each one tightens up the handling a little bit so if you are going for the Nth degree the mods are worthwhile...just don't expect a huge difference like sway bars, springs and tires can make.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
waiting for reviews from Brian i may order it as well
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
J35 _ 5 Speed A/T

Brian,
got an opinion on the effects yet?