My "weekend" Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008 | 12:03 AM
zac
Burning Brakes

My "weekend" Project

That turned into an almost week long event, working on it a little each day. Yea, because of the way I decided to paint the wheels (only the polished part), masking off the rest was a pain, it took wayyy to long to do. I redid it 3 times just because it wasnt working out for me.

I started by sanding all the wheels down. Then I used bondo on the curbage. After that I masked everything off. Then I painted.

1 can of primer was used, 1 can of graphite dupli-color paint, and 1 can of clear coat. 3 coats of each.

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

Im very happy with the results. It turned out suprisingly close to my "concept", maybe even better than the concept haha.

CONCEPT:

ACTUAL:

One thing is bothering me. The centercaps somehow are noticeably lighter than the wheel. I guess I didnt put enough paint coats on. Anyway, it would be really hard to mask it off again because the new clearcoat is not tape happy and it wont stick. So I have to either leave it how it is, or resand and repaint over completely with the graphite, covering the acura logo. How should I do it? Please Help!!
Old 06-12-2008 | 12:06 AM

They look good, I think people can make a better opinion if you before/after pics of the wheels on the car, but great job on the DIY
Old 06-12-2008 | 08:04 AM
zac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sayfulhaqq
They look good, I think people can make a better opinion if you before/after pics of the wheels on the car, but great job on the DIY
Here ya go:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Shes mad dirty.
Old 06-12-2008 | 11:31 AM
Pro

not really sure what to say. definitely different
Old 06-12-2008 | 11:42 AM
Pro

I like them... different, they almost look like the bright silver part is white. now you need lower her!
Old 06-12-2008 | 01:32 PM
zac
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 02CLNOS
I like them... different, they almost look like the bright silver part is white. now you need lower her!
Yea, alot more contrast in em now.

I really want to, however pops is against the idea. I cant afford it right now anyway because my timing belt stuff needs to be done really soon. Maybe in the future
Old 06-12-2008 | 01:50 PM

Looks very nice...good job man
Old 06-12-2008 | 02:42 PM
Pro

I thought about doing the exact same thing a while back( I too had real bad curb damage from prev. owner)..but decided to just do the whole rim in Duplicolor silver wheel paint. It is def. a art form and took me three times to get them perfect finish and color. I get comments on how they look better than stock all the time now. Finish is similiar to 3g TL rims now and with 3 coats of clear on mine rock chips and road salt don't stand a chance. Mine held up like a champ this past winter.

Old 06-12-2008 | 10:54 PM
zac
Burning Brakes

I thought about doing the exact same thing a while back( I too had real bad curb damage from prev. owner)..but decided to just do the whole rim in Duplicolor silver wheel paint. It is def. a art form and took me three times to get them perfect finish and color. I get comments on how they look better than stock all the time now. Finish is similiar to 3g TL rims now and with 3 coats of clear on mine rock chips and road salt don't stand a chance. Mine held up like a champ this past winter.

I thought about just painting the entire wheel graphite like that at times just because the masking took so long to do the way I wanted.