Getting ready to Install new shocks, do I have to change the springs also?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:16 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think im gonna go with the tokies(sp) shocks for like $260 on ebay.
My car has 160k miles on it and has original shocks/springs.
The front end is VERY noisey , everbody but I notice the noise.
I guess I dont mind the noise cuz car still handles well.
Do I have to change springs with shocks or do springs outlast shocks?
Someone told me springs never have to be replaced unless they are cracked or broken is this true?
Do u think changing the shocks is gonna get rid of most the front end noise?
Thanks!
Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
how are the TOKICO HP Series shocks / struts ?
the part #'s are TOHU3730, and TOHU2934.
Anyone have these on stock springs, If so how are they?
Have any of you guys heard good/bad things abouit them?
there $305 shipped, is that a good price?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM
i want a lip..

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
I think im gonna go with the tokies(sp) shocks for like $260 on ebay.
My car has 160k miles on it and has original shocks/springs.
The front end is VERY noisey , everbody but I notice the noise.
I guess I dont mind the noise cuz car still handles well.
Do I have to change springs with shocks or do springs outlast shocks?
Someone told me springs never have to be replaced unless they are cracked or broken is this true?
Do u think changing the shocks is gonna get rid of most the front end noise?
Thanks!

depends where the noise is coming from. if its not coming from the engine bay and you hear it squeak or squealing ESPECIALLY when turning, then it could be more than just a simple springs and shocks replacement.

haha, springs never have to be replaced? hmm... kinda true, unless you don't mind the bumpy ride.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:04 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by nX_kid
depends where the noise is coming from. if its not coming from the engine bay and you hear it squeak or squealing ESPECIALLY when turning, then it could be more than just a simple springs and shocks replacement.

haha, springs never have to be replaced? hmm... kinda true, unless you don't mind the bumpy ride.
I changed the tranny mounts(cuz they where broken), checked engine mounts (all where ok), changed both part #51306-S87-A01 BUSH, STABILIZER HOLDER and part #51308-SW3-000 BRACKET, FR. STABILIZER because the rubber seemed to have rotted and stabalizer bar was loose and making noise, so after changing that the front end is still making some noise
Old 02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
are you making the newb threads for shits and giggles, or what?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nbennettksu
Old 02-13-2009, 07:01 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Seriously. Haven't you been here long enough to know these answers??
Old 02-13-2009, 08:14 AM
B A N N E D

Dam all you new owners are nasty, I did a search and havent found anyone replacing shocks with stock springs.

This board used to be alot friendlier till the cars got alot cheaper and alot more trashy people where able to offord them!

When I bought my CL in 2000 the board was alot more mature , I even met up with alot of the owners at the cl meets in south jerzey and brooklyn and at the PAA cookout (cuz the older owners where cool), now everyone seems to be younger and a doochebag. Not eveyone just more than it used to be.

If you have no good input just shut up.

Everyone is a tough guy in front of a computer!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
I love to help out new people and point them in the right direction, because i was in that position once too. But i've learned a lot about these cars. It's just weird to me that you've been on this board for so long, have quite a few posts, and have a really basic question. No offense.
You have quite a bit of milage on your stock setup. My guess is that it's your shocks. Springs rarely fail. It's a metal coil and unless it's cracked or visably damaged, they're probably fine. But, if you're going to pick up some new shocks, might as well get some lowering springs. You can pick up a used set on the BM for cheap.
Yes you can change just the shocks.
Never heard anything bad about tokico blues or illuminas. Blues are your basic aftermarket shock, and illuminas allow you to adjust the stiffness of your ride.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM
B A N N E D

Im one of those people that NEED a second opinion.
Like if you went to the doc and he said you need a major operation, wouldnt you go to a second doc for a second opinion?
I was told the shocks need to be replaced , but springs last longer then shocks, so they dont need to be replaced. My car is making alot of front end noise, so im tring to rectify the noise!
Old 02-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I HATE 66

My sister has a 2001 CL Type S with 86k miles on it. It developed noises in the front driver side, everytime a bump was hit. We discovered it was a blown shock, so I replaced all 4 shocks/struts with KYB GR2's. They are an aftermarket OEM Spec shock/strut. I reused the STOCK springs and mounts. The car drives rides and drives very good. The shocks/struts cost me right around $200 brand new, shipped to my door from EBay.

Tokico HPs are pretty good also. They lower the car 1" with factory springs, so I heard, and give it a bit of a stiffer ride.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by NGUSPEED; 02-13-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by NGUSPEED
My sister has a 2001 CL Type S with 86k miles on it. It developed noises in the front driver side, everytime a bump was hit. We discovered it was a blown shock, so I replaced all 4 shocks/struts with KYB GR2's. They are an aftermarket OEM Spec shock/strut. I reused the STOCK springs and mounts. The car drives rides and drives very good. The shocks/struts cost me right around $200 brand new, shipped to my door from EBay.

Tokico HPs are pretty good also. They lower the car 1" with factory springs, so I heard, and give it a bit of a stiffer ride.

Hope this helps.
Yes thank you exactly what I needed to hear!

Did the noise completly go away, or does it still creek a little?

Thanks bro!
Old 02-13-2009, 03:43 PM
B A N N E D

THe blues are $100 more and i relly dont mind a little stiffer ride, A inch lower would be a nice drop, Are u sure it drops the car a inch or you just think?
Thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:52 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
to answer your question, no, you don't need to replace the stock springs
Old 02-13-2009, 07:47 PM
i heart latin chicks

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
quit smoking pot and maybe you'll be able to retain some of the shit here
Old 02-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

quit smoking pot and maybe you'll be able to retain some of the shit here
youre acting like a grumpy old man -->

StonedCL--> lol

Good luck with the shocks
Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I HATE 66

THe blues are $100 more and i relly dont mind a little stiffer ride, A inch lower would be a nice drop, Are u sure it drops the car a inch or you just think?
Thanks!
I sent you a message.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
As for the springs, no you don't need to change them.

But the height of the CL springs are slightly higher than aftermarket lowering springs. While the stroke of the aftermarket shocks is slightly shorter than the stock shocks.

I would go with the kyb shocks instead because I think they are meant to be the best matchup with stock springs.

Think about the reverse logic, most people who want to ghetto rig their car get lowering springs and lets say this drops the car by 1.5 inches. The reason it is so important to change the shocks also is because the stock shocks are meant to have a certain up and down stroke and are suppose to be aided by a taller spring(stock). but once you insert a shorter spring(aftermarket), the travel of the shock has to travel further and has less support from the spring.

Blah, this is hard as hell to explain
Old 02-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pits200
As for the springs, no you don't need to change them.

But the height of the CL springs are slightly higher than aftermarket lowering springs. While the stroke of the aftermarket shocks is slightly shorter than the stock shocks.

I would go with the kyb shocks instead because I think they are meant to be the best matchup with stock springs.

Think about the reverse logic, most people who want to ghetto rig their car get lowering springs and lets say this drops the car by 1.5 inches. The reason it is so important to change the shocks also is because the stock shocks are meant to have a certain up and down stroke and are suppose to be aided by a taller spring(stock). but once you insert a shorter spring(aftermarket), the travel of the shock has to travel further and has less support from the spring.

Blah, this is hard as hell to explain

You pretty much explained it. To add to your explanation, the OEM shocks can move a certain distance from a fixed point. The fixed point is the OEM ride height. Now if the ride height is lowered ie; lowering springs, then the fixed point is lowered thus making the travel of the shocks much greater and the pressure inside the shocks much higher which ruins the shock. The simpler answer is if you lower your car get aftermarket shocks or else you'll blow the OEM shocks out soon because they're not designed to handle the low ride height.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NGUSPEED

I never heard about this on a second gen CL, but Tokico Blues (HP) did lower my '96 TL 2.5 about 3/4". But I think this is only because they were actually made for the Accord. I know my Illuminas are specific to CL and they did not alter the height of the ride.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 PM
B A N N E D

What are the best springs to go with the Tokico blue's with the lowest drop?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I mean, the lowest drop is a relative question. Do you want the lowest drop as in your car will be a low rider? Do you want the lowest drop without using a camber kit? Do you want the lowest drop without rubbing on aftermarket wheels?

So many questions because there are so many different types of "lowest" drops.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by pits200
I mean, the lowest drop is a relative question. Do you want the lowest drop as in your car will be a low rider? Do you want the lowest drop without using a camber kit? Do you want the lowest drop without rubbing on aftermarket wheels?

So many questions because there are so many different types of "lowest" drops.
WhAt I meant was the least drop like a 1 inch drop maybee 1.5 inch the most.
Best springs for the blues with least drop 1-2 inch drop
Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro

Invest in TEIN H.Techs then, drop the car about an inch and you still retain stock ride quality for the most part
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
WhAt I meant was the least drop like a 1 inch drop maybee 1.5 inch the most.
Best springs for the blues with least drop 1-2 inch drop
There are a lot of good springs out there in that range: Eibach, TEIN, H&R

We just started carrying B&G and we have a serious sale on their products and for the price you can't beat it:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-232028.aspx
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Excelerate
There are a lot of good springs out there in that range: Eibach, TEIN, H&R

We just started carrying B&G and we have a serious sale on their products and for the price you can't beat it:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-232028.aspx

I just scoped out your site and you guys seem to have some decent prices!
I am looking to install some tokico Blues (which u guys sell for $77) in the next couple of months (waiting for uncle sam and MY tax money) which springs do you recommend for a 1-2 inch drop ( i dont want to go more the 1.5 inches 2 if i have to) and I dont want to have to install a chamber kit.
I will prob order from you when I am ready so let me know what YOU recomend?
Thanks maybee we can work out a deal on 4 hp's and some spring when i am ready (what do u say) LOL
Old 04-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Hey stoned Cl.... i was browsin threw this site and saw ur Problem, and it made me sign up ... it sounds like we have the same problem ... i have front in noise when i hit a bump, and the ride is horrible.. i cant seem to figure out where the noise is comin from..... i changed my struts to MOnroe and i still have the noise.... so now im stackin up that $1100 to go to the dealer to get back my stock ride hopefully that will stop the noise.......

Last edited by ChickenCoupeCLS; 04-01-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: miss spellin
Old 04-01-2009, 08:30 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by ChickenCoupeCLS
Hey stoned Cl.... i was browsin threw this site and saw ur Problem, and it made me sign up ... it sounds like we have the same problem ... i have front in noise when i hit a bump, and the ride is horrible.. i cant seem to figure out where the noise is comin from..... i changed my struts to MOnroe and i still have the noise.... so now im stackin up that $1100 to go to the dealer to get back my stock ride hopefully that will stop the noise.......

What up Chick....
My noise is completely gone, this is what i did!
changed both part #51306-S87-A01 BUSH, STABILIZER HOLDER and part #51308-SW3-000 BRACKET, FR. STABILIZER They are the rubber bushings that hold the front sway bar. Changed the Sway bar links bought all 4 on rockauto.com MOOG was the company they where about $80 for all 4 shipped. The best investment I made was the B@G shocks and springs from Excelarates website..they were $460 shipped for 4 shocks and 4 springs and the ride is lowered an inch and a half and it feels stock handles better and sounds are gone. The shocks have a lifetime warrenty so I think they are a lot better invesment then the stock shocks. Also check your tranny mounts and engin mounts but the bushings and sway bar links are prob where the noise is comming from, let me know!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Pro

for ChickenCoupeCLs...the reason you have noise is probably because you are using the Mexican muffler shop Monroe struts...the CL is a heavy car, the Monroes just plain suck. Upgrade to a better shock/strut and you'll have no problem
Old 04-02-2009, 09:53 AM
B A N N E D

Chicken, When you removed your stock shocks how did they look?
My shocks were shot, I think ALL the fluid was gone, and the rubber boots were dissinigrated. My front shocks were DONE! Did u just do the front shocks or all 4?
The CL is front heave like 68% of the cars weight is in the front so u want good shocks.
Try what I got or tokico blues, they are like $80 each!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Intermediate

stonedcl...when i changed my shocks they were really worn, the fron and back was leakin so i replace all 4.... i replaced my sway bar linx.. i replace two broken motor mounts becuz i thought that was where the noise was comin from... now im goin to take ur advice on the parts that u advised me to get....

CL-SA.... thanx for the strut advice... but question?... how do u feel about the stock struts/shocks????
Old 04-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

CL-SA... do u think it could be my bullshit monroe struts that can be makin the noise??

when i took my car to the dealer, they said it "can/maybe" be my struts that is makin the rumblin noise ....

my personal mechanic said that it is my upper control arm....

evrybody is jus money hungry to fix sumthing to make a buck....
Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Pro

yeah it defenelty is probably just the crappy struts you got. You could spend closer to $800 if you went out and bought some KYB AGXs and some H&R sport springs. I dont know if your into the "lowering" your car but that should be a solid combo for drivability and sport-i-ness
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

nah im jus a simple dude i juz want a comfortable ride for me and my chickens, imma get the stock struts.... i have anotha question regarding the factory radio.... do u have navi?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Pro

no, i had a non-navi car