View Poll Results: If you had a chance to look at (inspect) your Comptech springs, are they?
In perfect condition. With No visible marks. IOW, they look great.
29.17%
Have some marks and/or pits. (Comments?)
31.94%
Corroded (Please comment with location and other info)
30.56%
Other: explain what's going on/what you see...
8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Can you check your Comptech Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 02:59 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesi
Yes, I guess I am the guinea pig for this.. It's cool though..

Cool untill you cant control your car because all the fawkin springs broke :P

So when a spring brakes...can you tell something is not right

I just cant get over what your springs look like man. It looks like a snake had taco bell at 4:55 am after a night out and took a dirty dusty shitola
Old 08-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red-CL
Can't be recent.

He said he had them for over a year now..

I'm confused.

I have had mine for longer than 2 years and I got them used from a cali member so its ben even longer than that!

I am pretty sure mine are black...they could just be covered with a lot of shit but they dont look like they used to be bright silver.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOLACLS
Cool untill you cant control your car because all the fawkin springs broke :P

So when a spring brakes...can you tell something is not right

I just cant get over what your springs look like man. It looks like a snake had taco bell at 4:55 am after a night out and took a dirty dusty shitola
The other day I heard some weird noises from passenger side but figured it was my stock shocks bottoming out and that I would finally need to replace the shocks after 68k with CT springs on them.. But the shocks are holding up fine and it's the springs that are the root cause. But no my alignment has never been off and my car sits at the same height as normal..
Old 08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Team Owner

The other day I heard some weird noises from passenger side but figured it was my stock shocks bottoming out and that I would finally need to replace the shocks after 68k with CT springs on them.. But the shocks are holding up fine and it's the springs that are the root cause. But no my alignment has never been off and my car sits at the same height as normal..
Are you still driving the car like this or is it parked now awaiting the replacement springs?
And are you installing the replacements back over your stock shocks or going Koni?
I really wouldn’t trust those OEM shocks if they’ve been carrying the entire weight of the car for who knows how long.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn S
Are you still driving the car like this or is it parked now awaiting the replacement springs?
And are you installing the replacements back over your stock shocks or going Koni?
I really wouldn’t trust those OEM shocks if they’ve been carrying the entire weight of the car for who knows how long.
if he wanted to he can easiely drive without the shocks, since the shocks only take the shock of a bump, otherwise they do nothing in holding the car up
Old 08-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Car is sitting awaiting the CT replacements and the Koni Yellows which both should be here for the Friday install..
Old 08-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by rbf351
if he wanted to he can easiely drive without the shocks, since the shocks only take the shock of a bump, otherwise they do nothing in holding the car up

If that was the case, changing your springs wouldn't affect your ride height.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Advanced

That is the case and changing springs affects ride height because the new springs are shorter than the OEM ones. It's possible to compress a brand new shock with your bare hands if it held the car up they would be compressed 100% of the time. The springs hold the car up and the shocks do exactly what rbf described. They are for absorbing shock impacts and dampening out the springs motion so the car doesnt oscillate forever after a bump.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

shit, just found my receipt, got my springs on 4/19/02...guess i'm out of warranty too
Old 08-17-2004, 08:12 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by ch1276
shit, just found my receipt, got my springs on 4/19/02...guess i'm out of warranty too
Well I wouldn't be too bummed. I'll bet most will end up just buying another set. I'm assuming Comptech will want the springs before they honor a warranty claim. That means taking off the Comptechs, installing the stockers (if you still have them) and prepare for the longest "Comptech Wait" ever. Then when you finally get the springs you get to remove the stockers, install the Comptechs and hope they fixed the problem. (sounds like they did if they already knew about it.) I for one will probably just order a set of H&Rs or something and be done with it. Might turn the Comptechs in and get a set to sell though.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually Chad they gave me a $100 off on a verbal that I'll send mine back.. Which isn't too bad considering I'm well out of warranty.. Purchased early of 01..
Old 08-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Team Owner

If that’s the case, how was he driving all this time with his springs broken into pieces ???
Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
blxmjx was doing a groupbuy over in the black market a short time ago. You might want to hit him up and see if he can start another groupbuy. I bought my Teins from him, and he was great to deal with.

Just trying to give a heads up to those of you interested in the Teins.
The Group Buy is back on for anyone interested.
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151120

I'm pretty sure that's the way I'm gonna go.

I’ll deal with Comptech after I take the pieces of shit off the car.
If they insist on replacement instead of a refund, I’ll just throw the new unopened ones on EBAY and take what I can get.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 AM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

But people with warranty, my drivers sride rear is rusting, what can I do, I am still in the 2 year warrenty satage, I had them installed at PAA, Do I have to dish out anothe 3 bills to install them again?? Can I ask for new ones under warranty or will they give me the run arounds???
Old 08-18-2004, 06:57 AM
Drifting

1. Mine are almost completely rusted.
2. I live in Toronto (5-10 snowy days per winter)
3. I bought mine used and they appear to have been silver.

The real question is this, what is the condition of people's stock springs? Maybe a bit of surface rust isn't worth worrying about? After all, my rotors have rust on them...
Old 08-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Audi S4 driver

Originally Posted by ChadT
Well I wouldn't be too bummed. I'll bet most will end up just buying another set. I'm assuming Comptech will want the springs before they honor a warranty claim. That means taking off the Comptechs, installing the stockers (if you still have them) and prepare for the longest "Comptech Wait" ever. Then when you finally get the springs you get to remove the stockers, install the Comptechs and hope they fixed the problem. (sounds like they did if they already knew about it.) I for one will probably just order a set of H&Rs or something and be done with it. Might turn the Comptechs in and get a set to sell though.
Precisely what I plan on doing. Get comptechs swapped out for a set of TEIN SS, send comptechs back if the need be, get a new set, sell them with my shocks as a package on the black market or ebay
Old 08-18-2004, 08:28 AM

If that’s the case, how was he driving all this time with his springs broken into pieces ???
probably cause they were compressed so they were holding together till the car was jacked up

shocks can not hold a car up, take a shock and you compress it with your hand. if you can compress it with your hand then there is no way it is gonna hold your car up

there is a reason they are called shock asorbers, cause all they do is asorb shock, nothing more and nothing less
Old 08-18-2004, 09:04 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

probably cause they were compressed so they were holding together till the car was jacked up

shocks can not hold a car up, take a shock and you compress it with your hand. if you can compress it with your hand then there is no way it is gonna hold your car up

there is a reason they are called shock asorbers, cause all they do is asorb shock, nothing more and nothing less

Who do you know can compress a suspension spring with their bare hands?

And shock absorbers and sperings are 2 different things.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Red-CL

Who do you know can compress a suspension spring with their bare hands?

And shock absorbers and sperings are 2 different things.
i never said springs

someone mentioned that the shocks were holding the car up and i was just stating that it was impossible for a shock to hold a car up
Old 08-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Actually Chad they gave me a $100 off on a verbal that I'll send mine back.. Which isn't too bad considering I'm well out of warranty.. Purchased early of 01..

OK, THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, but
Jonesi, your getting

I am a law student. Claims of safety against a consumer product, REGARDLESS of warranty, is an issue of strict liability. In this case, you do not have to show that they were actually negligent in any common sense way; the fact that the springs fail at such a short age make the liability claim for itself. (Res Ipsa Loquitur).

I would call them back, and ask to speak to a manager. say you want a new set of the black=good springs, or will take them to court for them. The damages, although none to you, are to your ability to drive your car. If they then give you BS, I would start talking about getting a class action suit against CT.

In other words, regardless of warranty, they have an ongoing duty to the safety of the products they put out.

Again, I AM NOT A MEMBER OF ANY BAR, NOR DO I HAVE ANY LEGAL DEGREE....THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE
Old 08-18-2004, 12:27 PM
DP's for life

Is it me or does it seem like Comptech is getting off easy here...everyone is getting ready to switch to new springs/coilovers, and they are not driving this issue home with Comptech. I am an owner of 5-6 month old comptech's and this really pisses me off. This is a quality issue that has to be addressed, before I go out and pay another grand on top of my $500 I have already spent. I am gonna take a real close look at my springs, and then address the issues with comptech. Even if my springs are in perfect shape, they should replace a known bad product with a known good product.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:49 PM

i was looking through all of comptechs site

if they say these new black springs are the good ones, then how come every set of springs they show are all silver? wouldn't they have pisc of the black ones especially for the 04 TL's?
Old 08-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,100 Likes on 3,608 Posts
Originally Posted by JaredGMS
OK, THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE, but
Jonesi, your getting

I am a law student. Claims of safety against a consumer product, REGARDLESS of warranty, is an issue of strict liability. In this case, you do not have to show that they were actually negligent in any common sense way; the fact that the springs fail at such a short age make the liability claim for itself. (Res Ipsa Loquitur).

I would call them back, and ask to speak to a manager. say you want a new set of the black=good springs, or will take them to court for them. The damages, although none to you, are to your ability to drive your car. If they then give you BS, I would start talking about getting a class action suit against CT.

In other words, regardless of warranty, they have an ongoing duty to the safety of the products they put out.

Again, I AM NOT A MEMBER OF ANY BAR, NOR DO I HAVE ANY LEGAL DEGREE....THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Dude, go back to law school- I am a lawyer and you are confused. Breach of warranty (implied or explicit) coupled with a negligence action may be used to state a claim upon which relief can be granted if it is shown the failed part was a proximate cause of the injuries sustained. Res Ipsa requires a showing the instrumentality (spring) was in the sole custody of the defendant (Comptech) which of course it wasn't if it's on your car, right?

I guess some have a short memory around here-I was the first to complain to CT about their friggin' springs and they said they'd give me the $$ to have their POS taken off my car and new ones (OEM's) put back on. I'm waiting for the check as we speak.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Artwork
Is it me or does it seem like Comptech is getting off easy here...everyone is getting ready to switch to new springs/coilovers, and they are not driving this issue home with Comptech.
Like I posted earlier, I just want to get something else on the car and then I will deal with Comptech to get what I can out of them.
I can be quite the ANNOYING PRICK when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Audi S4 driver

We should have a group calling day. One by one we'll all call. I don't think they are going to do DICK about this until they see how many people are really having problems.

Someone should get on the TL and TSX board, and even any AV6 boards and see who else is having problems. Is every set of CT springs for every car silver? If they are, EVERY car could be having problems. TL, CL, AV6, S2K, TSX, 04TL, etc. Arent the 04 TL springs silver? They were made pretty recently. Don't you think they would've made them black if they knew about the problem?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wow, I'm astonished. CT better step up to the plate and take care of everyone. There was a bunch of loyal CT customers on these sites (CL/TL/TSX) CT is really going to hurt their reputation. Bad news of this from the 45,000 users here will travel fast... I hope CT listens to you guys, if not they will certainly feel the pain from it.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Just had a t/c w/ CT and check was mailed yesterday ($444) =cost of springs, un/re-install cost.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:24 PM
DP's for life

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Just had a t/c w/ CT and check was mailed yesterday ($444) =cost of springs, un/re-install cost.
Sorry if this has been already addressed, but what reason did you state to Comptech that warrented the refund?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:36 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by Artwork
Sorry if this has been already addressed, but what reason did you state to Comptech that warrented the refund?
His spring cracked in half due to rust.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Chief, are yours in warranty? Did you happen to take pictures of your springs?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

A week and 3 days later they finally came from Comptech and yes they are black.. So I assume anyone with silver ones should be careful and keep a eye on your springs..

Old 08-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by JaredGMS
(Res Ipsa Loquitur).

For anyone else who doesn't speak latin:

RES IPSA LOQUITUR - Lat. "the thing speaks for itself." Refers to situations when it's assumed that a person's injury was caused by the negligent action of another party because the accident was the sort that wouldn't occur unless someone was negligent.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

A week and 3 days later they finally came from Comptech and yes they are black.. So I assume anyone with silver ones should be careful and keep a eye on your springs..

Oooh those look nice! Maybe I will try and get a set. They look an awful lot like H&Rs. Look like completely different springs to me. No rubber isolators and no tags with load ratings on them.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Team Owner

Nice looking Springs............

Old 08-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

^^^
Old 08-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

@ Shawn.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:17 AM
Audi S4 driver

OK, so now what to do about this? What do you guys think the chances are that if we are still under warranty, comptech will just replace the springs that are pitting\rusting for free with the black ones?
Old 08-19-2004, 06:08 AM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

Originally Posted by blader
OK, so now what to do about this? What do you guys think the chances are that if we are still under warranty, comptech will just replace the springs that are pitting\rusting for free with the black ones?

I got mine installed at PAA, I dont feel like paying another 3 bills for the install, can ct take the tab??
Old 08-19-2004, 06:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Chief, are yours in warranty? Did you happen to take pictures of your springs?
I did, now all I have to do is remember where they are! I'll look and post. CT gave me no BS whatsoever after I called and spoke to Joe Sierro who was very courteous and professional about the whole thing. I made no threats instead I asked what they would do and he said he would refund the costs to me which they are now doing.

Found 'em: http://imageevent.com/scottprintup/4...hbt1.buffalo_s

they are there Jonesi
Old 08-19-2004, 06:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CLASSYCLS
I got mine installed at PAA, I dont feel like paying another 3 bills for the install, can ct take the tab??
I completely agree with you ralph, same here...they should be taking the tab for the install

Quick Reply: Can you check your Comptech Springs?