wheel scraping noise??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:33 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation wheel scraping noise??

I have a 2003 3.2 CL type-s with 56k miles. A few months ago i noticed a scraping sound coming from the wheels...can't really identify exactly which ones though...It is not a particularly loud scraping, and i only can hear it when i drive close enough to objects that will reflect the sound. The sound goes away when i brake. I checked all my pads and have plenty of wear left in all of them. Also there is no vibration or rattling in the pedal when i brake. Any ideas what the problem is?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like crud on the rotors. See if a couple of hard stops doesn't clean them off.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
2nd Gear

No, i checked the rotors and cleaned everything...no crud anywhere
Old 09-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Pro

did you ever figure out what it is? I might have the same problem.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Instructor

without crud on the rotors, possibly faulty rotor wear and caused them to warp?? just an idea
Old 11-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a scraping sound coming from my front driver side wheel too...

i noticed it a few days ago, but that's the only symptom. my acceleration and braking are still consistent and strong and there doesn't appear to be any uneven wear on my rotors.

at very slow speeds (talking about crawling) or braking (same as doe), there is no sound, but there is a scraping sound at higher speeds.

to build off of cl driver's suggestion, i've had warped rotors before and i've never experienced the same sound.

anyone know what a blown wheel bearing sounds like? could it be that? my second guess would be some crud build up but i haven't checked that out yet.

anyone have a clue?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Burning Brakes

perhaps this?

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...nsioner+pulley

cltypeslow only experienced the noise at low rpm's whereas i'm experiencing it at any speed/rpm.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

no the noise occurs even under extremely slow speeds...
Old 11-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by mr5parkle
i have a scraping sound coming from my front driver side wheel too...

i noticed it a few days ago, but that's the only symptom. my acceleration and braking are still consistent and strong and there doesn't appear to be any uneven wear on my rotors.

at very slow speeds (talking about crawling) or braking (same as doe), there is no sound, but there is a scraping sound at higher speeds.

to build off of cl driver's suggestion, i've had warped rotors before and i've never experienced the same sound.

anyone know what a blown wheel bearing sounds like? could it be that? my second guess would be some crud build up but i haven't checked that out yet.

anyone have a clue?
I have the same thing but might its only at low speeds and only when I turn right...weird I know. I even went to the Acura dealership and they said it is my rotor and pads combo. I have powerslot rotors and greenstuff pads but only the drivers side makes noise at from 0-40 mph and even in reverse. Mine deals with the rotation of the wheels. I think mine is a brake pad clip or something even though I have torn it all apart and greased and lubed it still makes the noise. Even Acura said they didn't know what it was. They checked all my wheel bearings and suspension and said everything is fine...so who knows..All I know my car drives and handles fine still.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cbusAcuracls
I have the same thing but might its only at low speeds and only when I turn right...weird I know. I even went to the Acura dealership and they said it is my rotor and pads combo. I have powerslot rotors and greenstuff pads but only the drivers side makes noise at from 0-40 mph and even in reverse. Mine deals with the rotation of the wheels. I think mine is a brake pad clip or something even though I have torn it all apart and greased and lubed it still makes the noise. Even Acura said they didn't know what it was. They checked all my wheel bearings and suspension and said everything is fine...so who knows..All I know my car drives and handles fine still.
i forgot to mention i have rotora slotted rotors and axis ultimate pads.

i'm going to jack up my car this weekend and shake the wheel to see if there is any wiggle. i believe that's an indication of a busted wheel bearing. i'm no mechanic so i'll have to ask from of my other friends for confirmation.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Pro

I'm starting to wonder if it has something to do with slotted rotors. (I've only had cross drilled rotors before) Weird though because its only on my drivers side. If you figure it out let me know. Good Luck!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Instructor

I dont have a service manual for these cars, but I know from past experiences that a dust shield on the drive axle that shields the dirt and dust from the hub/bearing can scrap and make a slight noise. It rotates with the drive axle and can rub on the inner bearing hub surface. Just a thought........
Old 11-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds to me like the front pad wear sensor, which is just a metal tab that scrapes on the rotor when the pads start getting thin. When brakes are applied you won't hear the tab scrape.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, new to the forum and just changed my front brake pads. I'm having the same issue as the first post in this topic - a light metal on metal scraping that I can hear when the sound is reflected and also in reverse.

I bought the pads at Advance Auto (I know what people say about Advance Auto - but they were ceramic pads - installed 100% correctly) and already took the wheels off once to bend back the dust shield. I thought I bent it back enough, as my test drive after bending them eliminated the noise. Apparently I either didn't bend it back enough or its something else as either the dust shield conformed to its original state and the noise is back.

My question is what causes the dust shield to interfere with the rotor from just replacing the brake pads? Has anyone ever just removed the dust shield completely? The description of my noise is the exact same as the first post here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2001 CL S w/ 113k
Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 PM
6spd

Yup same issue here. Only when turning a pretty hard right, but doesn't matter what speed. Sounds exactly like the brake shield rubbing on the rotor because it's an oscillating sound, not a constant screech.

I haven't had a chance to look closely at it, yet. Any updates?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Intermediate

same issue but mine sounds like its coming from the rear some where. for some reason i think its the rear brake rotor dust shield. I've had this issue with my integras in years past and thats what it was. try adjusting your dust/heat shields and see if the noise stops. I plan on doing mine once i put it on the lift next week.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced

I just got new pads and slotted drilled rotors. I have the same thing going on. Scraping noise that gets louder with speed and does not go away when you apply the brakes. In my case, I needed new brakes for a while so my mechanic thought the vibration that went on took a toll on my hubs?....We check the dust shield and it was touching, but we moved it and the sound was still there right after. Maybe I will check again with him....Or maybe I need new hubs???
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
I had a noise from my front brakes after installing legend calipers, and new pads and rotors. It would make noise when driving, but the noise goes away when hitting the brakes. As soon as you release the brakes the noise would come back. I replaced the pad shims with acura shims instead of the ebc shims that came with my ebc pads. Problem solved.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
rear brakes? I found that they last about 55K before needing changing on my car vs 81K for the fronts.....