Weird problem with car refusing to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird problem with car refusing to start

2001 Acura CL-S

My car has intermittently refused to start throughout July-September; I noticed this only happened during very hot days here in Sacramento, CA (Roseville).

Upon inspecting my battery the first few times this happened, I noticed tons of blue corrosion (reminded me of blue raspberry slushy) on the terminals. I cleaned the caked up terminals out without any solution. Car works fine.

Then it dies again a few weeks later; battery terminal build up is back. I use the spray solution and protector, cleaned it up a lot better this time, car works fine.

Car won't start again. I research online and I find threads with people having similar symptoms; they mentioned the culprit being the car sitting under the hot sun and fuel pump relay going out. I changed and bought a new fuel pump relay and the car still didn't start. I jumped it and it starts and works fine for the next couple of days.

Then it won't start AGAIN. I have the battery checked and it's toast. I get a new battery and car works fine for 3 days and then the car doesn't start again (after I left it under the hot 108 degree sun that day). Thinking my battery wasn't being charged because of the alternator being shot or either getting drained from a short in the electrical system, I get the battery checked yesterday and surprisingly it's FULLY CHARGED (the readout receipt says 700+ cranking amps).

Current, outlined symptoms:
  • Brand new, fully charged battery
  • Brand new fuel pump relay
  • Car just clicks and doesn't start
  • Starts with jumper pack or by getting a jump from another car
  • I noticed smoke coming out of the terminals if I try to start it without jumping -very puzzling

I ruled out alternator since the battery was still fully charged after having the problem. I ruled out a short in my electrical system for the same reason. My only guess would be to get new battery cables.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,463 Likes on 4,981 Posts
Im leaning towards battery cables as well. The smoke coming from them while to attempt to start is highly alarming.

You can make your own cables. Just get 1/0awg cable and weather proof connectors. Run new cables from the battery (+) to the fuse box, battery (+) to starter and battery (-) to ground.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Im leaning towards battery cables as well. The smoke coming from them while to attempt to start is highly alarming.

You can make your own cables. Just get 1/0awg cable and weather proof connectors. Run new cables from the battery (+) to the fuse box, battery (+) to starter and battery (-) to ground.
Thanks for the co-sign/suggestion! Yeah I'll def inspect them more tomorrow and have them replaced if need be, then report back...
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I would rule out wiring if it starts when you hook up a jumper pack. I would double check battery charge. You might have some parasitic draw. Make sure all your lights stay off when you lock your car, stuff like that.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

any progress on this? I hate dealing with eletrical problems.

Still see you trying to sell your 1 CL-S rim on craigslist lol