Seat not moving when seatback moved

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015 | 07:59 PM
6th Gear

Question Seat not moving when seatback moved

My '03 CLS, 6MT, has a power seat issue - the driver's seat will no longer move forward/back when moving the seatback (passenger side is fine). In cheking a shop manual, I found the wiring diagram, but there was no indication of how the feature was triggered to provide the movement. I'm not sure if there is a micro-switch, mercury switch or a mechanical trigger, or where to start looking for whatever might have failed. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2015 | 07:48 AM
Intermediate

does the seat back move? does it move up/down? will it move forward if you use the rear access lever on the side? does it make any "clicking" or other sound when you try to move it?
The following users liked this post:
jdc3750 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-02-2015 | 07:45 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for your reply, after I posted I realized that I should have mentioned that using the switches on the side moved everything properly. It was only when moving the seatback (via the latch) that it didn't move forward.

I think I've figured my problem out, though. When I looked at the factory wiring diagram again, I realized that my door jamb switch may be the culprit since my dome light didn't come on when the door opened, my "remove key" chime didn't work, and after unlocking with the fob, my car would re-lock after 30 seconds as though the door hadn't been opened. I've heard that if the car "thinks" the door is closed, lifting the seat latch will not move the seat (safety feature).

I pulled the switch out and checked with a meter, it appears dead. I had to order the switch as none of my local sources had one in stock. I'll re-post after I get it installed to confirm that the door jamb switch is the issue. I rememberd that my safety-belt hadn't retracted fully in the past week or so, and that I slammed my door shut on the buckle. I'm pretty sure that's what lunched the switch.

Thanks again for you interest in my problem, these forums are great!
bemer53 (05-05-2024)
Old 02-02-2015 | 07:59 PM
Intermediate

your logic is sound, looks like you nailed it.
Old 02-02-2015 | 08:50 PM
Forum Contributor

See this June 2008 Acura Service News article:

Driver’s Seat Won’t Go to Memorized Position; No Walk-in Function
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/B08060I.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B08060I.PDF
jdc3750 (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015 | 09:06 PM
6th Gear

Thanks to fourtrax and EE4Life for your interest and info. I replaced the doorjamb switch this evening, and all is well. I will offer a caveat on the switch - it has an extremely short electrical lead, and the metal spade connection on the switch disengages from the lead very easily (don't ask me how I know...). Unless you have some kind of a grip on the connector as you withdraw the switch, it will disconnect and drop into the body. Coat-hanger fishing does the trick, but it may take awhile -totally blind expedition, but it works. Thanks again to all.
Old 02-06-2015 | 10:45 PM
Intermediate

Glad you you got it working, and thanks for the feedback. it will help out someone in the future.
Old 05-05-2024 | 04:42 PM
5th Gear

My 03 Acura cl power seat everything works fine except the seat will not return to the memorized position after it moves forward to allow rear seat access. I can push seat back rearward but seat don’t lock down and automatically return to preset position. Just moves freely. All other seat buttons work fine. I’m not sure if the issue is mechanical or maybe a switch. The seat back doesn’t click down and move back to preset posit like it use to almost like a magnetic click when the seat back is pushed back in place.
Old 05-06-2024 | 10:10 AM
I am dumb

Originally Posted by bemer53
My 03 Acura cl power seat everything works fine except the seat will not return to the memorized position after it moves forward to allow rear seat access. I can push seat back rearward but seat don’t lock down and automatically return to preset position. Just moves freely. All other seat buttons work fine. I’m not sure if the issue is mechanical or maybe a switch. The seat back doesn’t click down and move back to preset posit like it use to almost like a magnetic click when the seat back is pushed back in place.
It's more than likely the switch in the seat. The metal pin that gets pushed down to hit the button more than likely popped off after years of use and getting old. It's a common issue. Easy fix with a soldering iron if you can fetch a new one. Just two wires. Getting to it is a little tricky however, as you need to lift some of the leather up.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-p...-mover-988489/
Old 05-06-2024 | 10:41 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Thefireball
It's more than likely the switch in the seat. The metal pin that gets pushed down to hit the button more than likely popped off after years of use and getting old. It's a common issue. Easy fix with a soldering iron if you can fetch a new one. Just two wires. Getting to it is a little tricky however, as you need to lift some of the leather up.

You have given me the best lead yet. Like you said gaining access is the tough part. I will try this fix thx so much. I’ll keep you posted.
Thefireball (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024 | 01:35 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Thefireball

The fix for me was mechanical some wd 40 and a few taps with my trusty hammer. The car had set for 5 months without use and the moving pieces needed some persuasion. But thanks so much for all the tips. You guys are great!
Thefireball (05-06-2024)