Recent Start up problem need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent Start up problem need advice.

I own a 2002 Acura CL Type S and seem to be having intermediate start up issues.

About a year ago I went to the local store shut the car off and went into the store. I came out no less than 5 minutes later got in the car cranked it and the engine turned over. Then the lights dimmed, the car shook for a few seconds and then died. I tried to start it up again and it wouldnt turn over just kept acting like it was out of gas even though I had about 3 quarters of a tank. I waited about 10 more minutes and tried it again. When I did the car started up like normal and didnt die. No check engine lights or any other lights came on to warn of an issue. I drove it to work fine and it didnt do it again nor acting up in any other way.

Then a few weeks ago I hit a curb blew two tires and when I got them replaced I was told my alternator light and brake light were on which they werent before. I got the car home shut it off and then tried to turn it back on. Same thing as above happened but with horrible screeching sound. I checked under the hood and found that the alternator clamps that attach it to the engine was missing and the alternator was hanging off. I got the alternator fixed and put back on - they tested it and said it was fine. Then a few days later the car wouldnt start again and come to find out the battery needed to be replaced because it wasnt holding a charge(probably because I drove it home after the tire incident solely on bat power and no alternator attached).

I replaced the battery had them test everything and they said I just needed a wheel alignment, it was time for a fuel injection again (got one done less than 6 months ago) and should replace the fuel filter. No other issues.

Last night went to the store again came out after 5 minutes went to turn the car on and after it turned over lights dimmed and the engine cut off leaving only the dashboard lights on. (essentially the same thing that happened a year ago). I immediately tried again and the car came on and turned over after holding it for barely a second. It has continued to turn over without hesitation since last night.

Ive had autozone hook up the code reader and no codes are coming up. There are no warning lights (alternator engine, oil light etc) coming on and the car seems to be driving like normal. Any ideas what is causing this issue? Keep in mind alternator is only about 3 years old and was tested and came out fine. Battery is brand new. There is gas in the car. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
1. No fuel filter in car so this is not an issue.
2. Check wiring and cables to battery and starter
3. check ignition switch.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I checked the battery connection cables and they are good and connected properly.

How do I check the ignition switch?

Also if it was the ignition switch would any of the typical warning lights come on to advise me of this issue and also keep in mind that no codes came out when I checked it on the Auto Zone machine.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^ you gotta remove it and check for burn marks and arking (black resude on switch, housing discolord significantly, cracked, etc)
Old 07-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,185 Likes on 4,830 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
1. No fuel filter in car so this is not an issue.
2. Check wiring and cables to battery and starter
3. check ignition switch.
We do have a fuel filter, its in the tank.

When you turn the key to on (not starting the car), do you hear the fuel pump priming?

You mentioned that you got a fuel injection *blank* 6 months ago. Im assuming you got one of the "cleanings" that shops sell you?