Oil drain plug is REALLY hard to loosen

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oil drain plug is REALLY hard to loosen

Apparently, it's my day for problems. I'm trying to change my oil on my '01 CL-S. Due to my schedule, I took it to the normal place I use locally (Honda/Acura specialty shop) the last time it needed an oil change, but this time, I figured I would do my own.

Everyone's suggestions were right on the money -- everything I need to reach is easy to access, even without the car being jacked up. The only issue I'm having is with the drain plug. Apparently, the Acura specialty shop I took it to does not believe in the 33lb torque specs, because the oil plug is really tight.

I know the oil pan is aluminum, and I want to make sure I don't strip it. I can get the 17mm socket on, and am using a standard handle Craftsman socket wrench. I'm 235 lbs, and built like a linebacker, so strength isn't the issue....even drank a protein shake before trying this....lol. And yes, I even checked to make sure the socket was set to loosen instead of tighten.

Is it possible to damage the oil pan when loosening the plug? I don't think I should need a pry bar to loosen this thing, but it sure isn't coming loose very easily.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:24 PM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Aslong as u don't use a impact gun or something in that nature it should be hand tight only index & thumb finger on top the ratchet rentch orther three on the handle to tighten
Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rush
Aslong as u don't use a impact gun or something in that nature it should be hand tight only index & thumb finger on top the ratchet rentch orther three on the handle to tighten

I'm wondering what my Acura specialty shop did, because there is no way they hand-tightened this thing. I hand-tighten and then slightly torque the drain plug on my Suburban, and have never needed this much force to loosen it.

Would it make a difference if I sprayed the plug with a little WD-40?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM
03 acura cl type s

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Just turn it slowly
Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
most of the damage is probably done already from over tightening it. get a long metal tube to extend the handle of the wrench for more leverage. i would get a new drain plug and washer before you go through with it.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:16 PM
2003 CL

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Same thing here

Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1
Apparently, it's my day for problems. I'm trying to change my oil on my '01 CL-S. Due to my schedule, I took it to the normal place I use locally (Honda/Acura specialty shop) the last time it needed an oil change, but this time, I figured I would do my own.

Everyone's suggestions were right on the money -- everything I need to reach is easy to access, even without the car being jacked up. The only issue I'm having is with the drain plug. Apparently, the Acura specialty shop I took it to does not believe in the 33lb torque specs, because the oil plug is really tight.

I know the oil pan is aluminum, and I want to make sure I don't strip it. I can get the 17mm socket on, and am using a standard handle Craftsman socket wrench. I'm 235 lbs, and built like a linebacker, so strength isn't the issue....even drank a protein shake before trying this....lol. And yes, I even checked to make sure the socket was set to loosen instead of tighten.

Is it possible to damage the oil pan when loosening the plug? I don't think I should need a pry bar to loosen this thing, but it sure isn't coming loose very easily.
I had the same problem & this is how I took care of it: After getting the 17mm socket & the wrench on, tap it with a mallet just enough to break the grip. Make sure it is in the CCW direction to loosen it. When putting the plug back (maybe get a new plug & washer), I hand tightened it until it stops & then used the socket wrench to give it a quick twist 2X by hand. That should be enough to tighten it until the next time you need to remove it.

Last edited by hotclick56; 08-21-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
STOP!

The damage is done by tightening it. If it is ALREADY that tight, then the damage might already be done! Take it back to the shop, and tell them to change it. Tell them to check if it is stripped, and to make sure to use the correct torque spec.

If you change the oil yourself, then any liability by the shop is gone. Changing the oil pain is expensive, so don't do anything until you make sure the shop didn't strip it.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Ok.......this one turned out good in the end. I just kept putting firm pressure on it, and it came loose. I think part of the issue is that I don't have as much leverage flat on my back as I would if the car was on a lift and I was standing in front of the plug.

I borrowed a friend's torque wrench and tightened it down to 30lbs, then attempted to loosen the drain plug again (before I put any new oil in, of course). It required a little less force to loosen it this time. I think part of it was I wanted to be extra careful, so I didn't want to force it loose the first time.

Either way, I refilled with 5w-30, checked for leaks at the plugs and filter, and everything was good. No leaks, no drips, and clean oil!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
^good to hear. i would get a new washer at the very least sooner than later. the old washer will probably not be as effective considering that it was over tightened like that.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by m733l
^good to hear. i would get a new washer at the very least sooner than later. the old washer will probably not be as effective considering that it was over tightened like that.
Fortunately, the new filter I had purchased last month at the Acura dealer came with the new washer. Amazingly, the old one didn't seem to look much different than the new one, but I figured better safe than sorry and replaced it.

At least at the next oil change, I'll only have myself to blame if I can't get the drain plug loose!