Looking for opinions on paint and body work

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 AM
eh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for opinions on paint and body work

Hey guys,

My CL has aquired a fair bit of wear over the past 6 years. The worst problems are the chips on the hood, the big collection of scratches on the bumper and the nice big dent on my right rear quarter (hit and run).

I'm going to start shopping around for quotes but I wanted to ask a couple questions:

1. Should I try and fix the specific damage or just go for a full repaint?
2. How is the quality of work from Macco?
3. What's a reasonable price to get everything fixed?
4. How long do I have before that rust becomes a bigger problem?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Advanced

i think you could just get those fixed and have the hood and bumper painted. Im sure the damage can be fixed and paint matched with no problem, silver is easier to match. I would say take it to a good shop and get it done right the first time.
Or find a body guy that does work on the side which will save you alot, i do that
Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Macco is alright, as long as you do all the prep work, get their best technician and slip him a few bucks on the side, otherwise your just another customer.

Id wouldnt worry about a full respray. How long do you plan on keeping the car (realistically)? SSM doesnt have pearl in it, so matching the paint shouldnt be that difficult as long as the painter knows how to do it.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:47 PM
eh

Thanks guys - very appreciated.

I can't imagine I'll be driving this car for more than another 3-4 years so yeah, I'll avoid the full repaint. I'm going to get an estimate later today. Macco quoted $2000ish over the phone for a full repaint and minor body work.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 PM
eh

So I grabbed quotes from a couple of local shops.

The damage on the rear quarter panel will cost about $800 but I can get that covered under insurance since it was a hit and run.

The first shop quoted me $1700 (including all taxes) to repaint the hood and bumper and to fix a ding just behind the driver's side door (not in the pictures).

The 2nd shop estimated $500 for the bumper and $350 for the hood and told me not to bother getting the ding fixed because they'd have to fade the paint into the door and it probably wouldn't be worth the extra expense.

Although the dollar is pretty close these days, keep in mind these amounts are Candian.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Dont take it to maaco. Take it somewhere that has a good booth and does good prep work. If you take it to maaco most likely the paints gonna fall off in a year. When it come to body work you get what you pay for, your better off spending the extra $$ if you want it done right.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:59 PM
The TARDIS is my

Take it to andy sorensen autobody and frame on 64th Ave in surrey. good people who do good work, all my stuff get's done there. Tell them Eli sent you, it probably won't help you, but it might help me
Old 08-15-2009, 05:55 PM
eh

Originally Posted by EliteDemon
Take it to andy sorensen autobody and frame on 64th Ave in surrey. good people who do good work, all my stuff get's done there. Tell them Eli sent you, it probably won't help you, but it might help me
Perfect - thanks. And I'll definitely tell them you refered me.