Idle air control valve failure replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 08:50 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle air control valve failure replacement

Hey new member here. I was having some idle air problems including an idle surge, high idle, rough shutoff and if I took light pressure of the throttle the car would jerk around. I made a video on the installation process if anybody has any questions. Hoping to record some basic things I do to this car. I purchased my new idle air control off ebay for 25 dollars or so and its perfect.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
offbrand i take it? not OEM? hopefully the issue doesn't come back
Old 02-06-2018, 12:59 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
offbrand i take it? not OEM? hopefully the issue doesn't come back
Product ad says OEM and the brand in the description is Honda. Also says Denso. Has a lifetime warranty which is nice.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
the description says 'on the aftermarket product"

seller doesn't know what he's talking about: or can't keep his story straight
Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
the description says 'on the aftermarket product"

seller doesn't know what he's talking about: or can't keep his story straight
yeah says its new but may have scratches but mine was perfect. i'll keep this thread updated if it goes wrong again but so far so good. just put some some wheels on my car too
Old 02-10-2018, 10:38 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by shazoen
Hey new member here. I was having some idle air problems including an idle surge, high idle, rough shutoff and if I took light pressure of the throttle the car would jerk around. I made a video on the installation process if anybody has any questions. Hoping to record some basic things I do to this car. I purchased my new idle air control off ebay for 25 dollars or so and its perfect.
Here's a link to my video

https://youtu.be/1CfnuZK67W0
Old 05-31-2020, 06:10 PM
4th Gear

I have a question. What is the proper function of the IACV? Does the valve spin when the motor is energized or should the valve be held in a position when energized? If so what postion? I cleaned the assembly, and afterward when plugged in and the ignition switch in on position, I feel the motor is energized, however the valve is locked in position. Is this expected result?

Old 05-31-2020, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Coffee
I have a question. What is the proper function of the IACV? Does the valve spin when the motor is energized or should the valve be held in a position when energized? If so what postion? I cleaned the assembly, and afterward when plugged in and the ignition switch in on position, I feel the motor is energized, however the valve is locked in position. Is this expected result?
The Helms states the following:
IACV
To maintain the proper idle speed, the IAC valve changes the amount of air bypassing the throttle body in response to an electrical signal from the ECM/PCM.

The idle speed is controlled by the Idle Air Control Valve:
  • After the engine starts, the IAC valve opens for a certain time. The amount of air is increased to raise the idle speed by about 150-300rpm.
  • When the engine coolant temperature is low, the IAC valve is opened to obtain the proper fast idle speed. The amount of bypassed air is thus controlled in relation to engine coolant temperature.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:00 PM
4th Gear

OK, so for a cold start in the on position of the ignition would cause the IACV motor to energize and do what to the valve? Does the valve work by functioning as an "on" and "off" by holding a position, or does it spin allowing for a frequency of open and closed states that correspond to the needed flow? When I inspected the IACV motor and valve while the ignition was switched to the on position with the engine cold, the valve did not move-but the motor was energized. I am uncertain if this is the proper functioning of the motor and valve.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,390 Posts
^

If you find that you need a new IACV and don't want to pay the dealer price for an OEM Denso, buy the much less expensive Standard/Intermotor AC229. I have replaced mine in the past with the AC229 and it works O.K. RockAuto usually has the best price.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Coffee
OK, so for a cold start in the on position of the ignition would cause the IACV motor to energize and do what to the valve? Does the valve work by functioning as an "on" and "off" by holding a position, or does it spin allowing for a frequency of open and closed states that correspond to the needed flow? When I inspected the IACV motor and valve while the ignition was switched to the on position with the engine cold, the valve did not move-but the motor was energized. I am uncertain if this is the proper functioning of the motor and valve.

I don't think you'll need to understand the low level technical details of how the valve works to know if it's working properly or not. if you suspect that the valve (tumbler) is not rotating as it should, you can dissemble the motor from the main body of the IACV and try to spin it freely. if it spins freely, then your valve is working; if not, clean it, reassemble and save money instead of buying a new part.