HID low beam ballast replacement Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID low beam ballast replacement Q

Hi All -

I know this subject has been beat to death, and after reading all the strings I have a specific question for anybody who has the energy left to answer yet another headlight question:

Alot of contributers on the blog are recommending Morimoto, and Morimoto recommends this kit: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...l#.VvlBFhIrJmA

I'm struggling with 2 choices you have to make prior to placing the order (and I'm the same guy planning to do the install, haha):

1. Bulb Type - D2S vs. D2R - what is the best option and why, is it as simple as one type fits, one type does not? I'm assuming D2S, since the included kit igniter is a D2S igniter?

2. Ballast Wiring Adapter - Matsushita Male > 9006 Female vs. Mitsubishi Male >9006 Female - which is the correct option for the CL, does it matter?

Lastly - given the options of 35W or 55W, I assume brighter is better and plan to go the 55W route. I understand that you have to subtract 1k off the bulb k rating for expected bulb color with the 55W ballasts, but other than that I have not seeen/read/heard of any issues with bumping up to 55k. I could use the additional lumens this provides.

Thanks all for your help. In the meantime I'm rollin' dirty with my high beams on at night!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:30 AM
2003 CL

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Stay with D2R bulb even though D2S seemed to be more popular & available.
You may run into glaring problems for oncoming traffic as I did when I switched my halogen bulb to HID for my Nissan Pathfinder. I had angry opposing traffic flashing & horning me impatiently. Finally had to get my mechanic to lower the lamp's aim.

The retrofit source guys will sell you D2R instead of D2S. Tell them it's required for the CL. I would recommend 5000K or 5500K. Forget about the original 4300K as they are too yellow. Word of caution...some Morimoto's 5500K bulb lights up like 4300K. Not sure why maybe difficult to hold the tolerance? I've complained to them before about this situation & they sent me replacements. If you can find Osram's at 5500K for the D2R bulb, then go for it. I have a set of Osram's 5500K for my aux driving lights & they light up like sunlight.

55W ballast will burn up your bulb sooner. If you don't mind changing bulbs more often, then I guess that extra light output is worth it.

I'll reply you in the message area with some photos some time later as I've been very busy lately.

Originally Posted by RainCityCLS
Hi All -

I know this subject has been beat to death, and after reading all the strings I have a specific question for anybody who has the energy left to answer yet another headlight question:

Alot of contributers on the blog are recommending Morimoto, and Morimoto recommends this kit: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...l#.VvlBFhIrJmA

I'm struggling with 2 choices you have to make prior to placing the order (and I'm the same guy planning to do the install, haha):

1. Bulb Type - D2S vs. D2R - what is the best option and why, is it as simple as one type fits, one type does not? I'm assuming D2S, since the included kit igniter is a D2S igniter?

2. Ballast Wiring Adapter - Matsushita Male > 9006 Female vs. Mitsubishi Male >9006 Female - which is the correct option for the CL, does it matter?

Lastly - given the options of 35W or 55W, I assume brighter is better and plan to go the 55W route. I understand that you have to subtract 1k off the bulb k rating for expected bulb color with the 55W ballasts, but other than that I have not seeen/read/heard of any issues with bumping up to 55k. I could use the additional lumens this provides.

Thanks all for your help. In the meantime I'm rollin' dirty with my high beams on at night!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:56 AM
2003 CL

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Make a small U cutout in the cap enough just to fit in the rubber grommet's groove. The ID of the grommet is about the size of the power wire. Slit the grommet on one side & slip in the wire, then assembly the grommet to the U cutout (there would be some moving & jockeying the wire & grommet to fit in correctly). I finally got to the photos I promised you & here it is:

Driver side HID lamp assembly

I cutoff the original plug & replaced with the one from the retrofit source.

Bottom view of the protective cap. Apply GE silicone caulk after replacing the cap to the housing.