(HELP Please!!) Gauge cluster bulbs DEAD!!! & SRS check!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 PM
03 CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(HELP Please!!) Gauge cluster bulbs DEAD!!! & SRS check!!

ok... im an idiot.... i try to do the gauge cluster stock bulb to LED conversion...

search around for instructions and stuff and i follow it pretty well...

but the thing is, when i replace the stock bulbs with the 5LED blue -WIDE angle from superbrightlight.com and it seem to be too big... so i sand down both side of the LED and it then fit in the bulb holder... I replace all of the stock bulb with LED and try to plug in the 3 harness back to the gauge cluster and NOne of the LED light up... and a few second later i smell a burnt rubber smell... and i got scared and quickly unplug the harness from the gauge...

The first thing i try is to take the LED bulb back out and replace it with the stock bulb again... but now even the stock bulbs wont light up and my odometer that tell the millage and stuff wont light up also... and another bad thing is my SRS check light came out...
What went wrong? i got screwed bcuz i install it with the wrong LED???
another shit went wrong is i crack my cluster lense...

this LED conversion is a complete failure to me
Here are some pictures

bulbs i got from superbright.com
WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs

NONE of the light turn on for the gauge cluster anymore... except the srs check light

Anything I can do?? help!!! ; (
Old 09-13-2006, 01:16 AM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you need a new gauge cluster. Probably one of the leads to the bulbs was sticking outside of the socket and shorted the circuit board. Not much you can do, unless you're an Electrical Engineer and know if one of the capacitors/resistors/etc. are fried and can replace it.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:32 AM
03 CL-S

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
Sounds like you need a new gauge cluster. Probably one of the leads to the bulbs was sticking outside of the socket and shorted the circuit board. Not much you can do, unless you're an Electrical Engineer and know if one of the capacitors/resistors/etc. are fried and can replace it.
where can i get a new gauge cluster?? but would it keep my millage or it will keep the milage on the new cluster?
Old 09-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
You are most definitely going to lose your current mileage settings unless you can source one from a junkyard with similiar mileage.

If you buy new from the dealer it will have 0 miles on it and I believe by law you will have to go to the DMV and have them provide some type of certification that the gauge cluster was replaced.

Oh and you're looking at about $250 for the gauge motherboard (top right) which will still require you to swap all the other pieces out (case, gauge faces, front cover...)

Get it HERE
Old 09-14-2006, 02:53 AM
03 CL-S

koo, very very good idea,
Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm here in spirit...

I hate to tell you this but unless you can have the original repaired and get the odo to show the milage again, your car is now considered "TMU" or "True Miles Unknown". Even if you replace it and get it "certified" by the DMV (although I've never heard of that before).

If you can't get it repaired to show the miles, even if it's certified, when you take the car to a dealer to trade it in, you will lose your shorts on it. TMU cars tend to be worth half (maybe a little more depending on model) of what it's original value was.

Even if you had to pay someone $500-$1,000 to get the original repaired, try, TRY to get it fixed!!! It will be cheaper in the long run. Trust me, this is a fact.

In my honest opinion anyone thinking about doing this LED conversion mod should read this thread and reconsider. Furthermore, I think this thread should have been posted in the main 2nd Gen section so more people would see it. People need to know this is dangerous.

Sorry about your car dude.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
03 CL-S

yeah really... this is no joke... ppl should reconsider b 4 doing the conversion
Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
about::blank

Clear your PM box Truexh.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:01 AM
03 CL-S

ok, sorry about that
Old 09-19-2006, 02:35 PM
03 CL-S

imma do the conversion again when i receive the new gauge from TallyCL-S : /
Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Just becareful this time! Try to dremel those bulbs down as much as you can so they fit in the sockets properly.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:51 AM
03 CL-S

ok that 5 LED shit i order from http://ledautomotive.com/OrderInfo/9...lusterInfo.asp doesnt fit properly... what the shit is going on???
is the CL type S socket smaller than the non-type S CL??? bcuz this shit will not fit... i add lots of force and pressure... im not trying to ruin this 2nd cluster... HELP PLEASE???
Old 10-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
I hate to tell you this but unless you can have the original repaired and get the odo to show the milage again, your car is now considered "TMU" or "True Miles Unknown". Even if you replace it and get it "certified" by the DMV (although I've never heard of that before).

Not sure how true this is, but I know someone who was a mechanic for many of years and has since then been retired. He told me before that the computers actually store the Mileage, Speed, etc... In turn, even if you switched out the guages they could still test the computer and get actual mileage from it.
He told me that they can get driving conditions from it so they knew how hard the vehicles were driven and even how fast you have gone. He stated that they were talking about making it part of some inspection that would catch people even after the fact. Like I said, I don't know how true all of this is, I'm just giving my
All in all... You should be able to go to Acura and have them read the actual mileage on the computer and have them prrogram the new guage so you don't get the TMU! From what I know, this is how they do it when you buy a replacement guage from them and the old guage is broke.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Got DEP???

Ok, once again the edit option was timed out...

Anyways, I just remembered reading the package of an OBD-II reader that said it could read the actual mileage from the computer...

Sorry if this is useless, just don't want to see you get screwed because of a Fraudulent Odometer reading...

I found this on EdmundsDOTcom

Odometer Rollbacks

If you order a report from Carfax, your report is broken into nine categories: report summary, vehicle specifications, accident check, mileage accuracy check, lemon check, ownership check, recall check, warranty check and vehicle history details. The different pieces of the report are summarized in a table that may flag problems. Details are listed later in the report.

Most importantly, Carfax provides an independent check of a vehicle's history. While the odometer of a used car might show that it has only 55,000 miles, the Carfax might indicate that the odometer readings at key events in the car's history — emissions tests or title changes — don't match up.

For example, the report might show that a certain vehicle was smog-checked in December 1999 at 55,000 miles. But then, when a change of title was issued two months later, the odometer reading was recorded as being 45,000 miles. Obviously, there was some kind of foul play here.

The number of miles a car is driven directly affects the price of the car. Therefore, a seller has a strong incentive to rollback the odometer. Each excess mile a car is driven — over the expected yearly average of from 12,000 to 15,000 — reduces its value. Therefore, turning back an odometer 10,000 miles can increase the sale price of the car by $600.

In another situation, a person might be ready to return a lease car and be faced with paying $2,000 in mileage penalties to the dealer. A quick trip to a "spinner" — someone who turns back odometers — will save them a lot of money. In this way, dealers are defrauded, and so is the next person who buys the car.

"Folks think because [the odometer] is digital, it is harder to rollback," Fredericks said. "But it's not. Anyone with a laptop [and the right software] can plug into the car's computer under the hood and do it." He added that some estimates have shown that 40 percent of lease cars have been involved in some type of scam.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:53 AM
03 CL-S

that sound interesting but do you know how to roll it forward with a laptop? is it easy? how can i do it? IS THERE DYI?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Pro

So has anyone done this successfully with the other wedge LED's from superbright? I did my motorcycle with the WLED and they are fantastic. Went right in, only had to turn one around due to polarity and they light up 50% brighter with no hotspots. I want to use these in the CL-S now as well.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dgracer
So has anyone done this successfully with the other wedge LED's from superbright? I did my motorcycle with the WLED and they are fantastic. Went right in, only had to turn one around due to polarity and they light up 50% brighter with no hotspots. I want to use these in the CL-S now as well.
Did you end up doing this? I was thinking about doing it as well, but heard a couple of horror stories about both hot and cold spots (cold spot around the 80MPH on Speedo?) Plus the green tint on the back of the facing that causes it to not actually be white but a blueish color?

I forget who it was, but he ended up putting something like 10+ regular LED's into his dash, with all the wires being routed out of the dash...I saw that and was like...uh...NO
Old 11-03-2008, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Question

hi sorry to bring up this old thread but i have the exact same problem and was wondering how u fixed it

i tried putting in led in my cluster and when i did it the whole cluster started to smoke , now none of my backlights work anymore, my warning lights , milege still works though , and all the gauges still move wen the car is running

i dont know why it started to smoke i used the recomended LED size , and if i get a new/used cluster im tryin to figure out if the milege will automatically adjust itself or if it will stay with the same milege the new/used cluster had

i got prices for $300 to fix it but they have used ones on ebay for $100-$150 so wanna save sum money if i could , i just dont know if the milege will adjust

any help would be appreciated, thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
the mileage will not auto adjust. i have heard of companies that can "flash" the odometer to make it advance or go back to where you need it. however i haven't heard of anyone getting it done on here. maybe someone else knows more.

even if those few LEDs you plugged in work they would have left hot spots and you'd have to add more to fill in the dark spots. i have done the conversion but never had smoke. even if you plugged the leg in backwards it should not cause major damage, just not come on.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Intermediate

would you like to sell your cluster I can use some parts off of it.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,152 Likes on 4,817 Posts
This thread is nearly 4 years old.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

haha i just noticed that