HELP: Driver Side Low Beam Is Out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:59 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: Driver Side Low Beam Is Out!

Hello,
My driver side HID is out. I washed my car yesterday and after that I turned on my headlights to find that my right side low beam wasnt working. Instead of that the highbeam headlight is turned on both sides but very low output similar to Day Light Running Lamps. (Only canadian models have DLR's btw.. non mine).

In my instrument panel, the Highbeam light is on with reduced brightness. I checked the fuse for the right headlight and it was blown. but everytime i replace it , its blows!!

When I turn on the HIGH beams, the DLR's turn on full power.

I am really hoping that the inverter isnt shot.... ... any ideas??
Old 07-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Intermediate

Sorry to tell you this, but based on my recent headlight issue it sounds like the inverter. My passenger side lowbeam went out a few weeks ago. I took the car to the dealer and they found that the bulb was fine but the fuse was blown. Every time they replaced it and turned the lights on the fuse kept blowing. It turns out the inverter was shot. Apparently moisture had got to it somehow. Luckily it was covered under warranty for me, but if not the bill for that would have been a little over $500. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

I wonder if i should go ahead and buy the damn inverter and fix it my self. the dealers would probably charge shit load more.. my car isnt under warranty
Old 07-28-2006, 09:06 AM
9th Gear

Cheapest vendor for ballast & bulbs?

I've got an '01 CL-S with 54k (& a new tranny at 52k). I took the car to the dealer when the tranny died and noticed the driver's bulb was out. They said it was the ballast / bulb / fuse combo. The tech commented that when the ballast blew, so did the bulb and fuse.

Long story short, I need a new one and it is not under warranty. The dealer wants just under $800. I don't feel like bending over quite that far. I found the bulb and inverter online from OEM Acura Parts for $91 & $295 respectively.

Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper or perhaps a better vendor? Has anyone replaced these parts themselves? If so, any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:06 AM
5th Gear

OK UPDATE:
---------------
I absolutely love my body shop owner. he diagnosed the issue as the bad inverter as Black03CL-S also mentioned. He replaced the inverter with a used one he got and for all labor and parts just charged me 290 dollars!!!

If you are from the bay area and need any sort of body work/paint/even electrical work done, you should check TK Auto Body (David Gong . 5105254746). I've been going to his place for 5 years.

Ali

Originally Posted by jr23112
I've got an '01 CL-S with 54k (& a new tranny at 52k). I took the car to the dealer when the tranny died and noticed the driver's bulb was out. They said it was the ballast / bulb / fuse combo. The tech commented that when the ballast blew, so did the bulb and fuse.

Long story short, I need a new one and it is not under warranty. The dealer wants just under $800. I don't feel like bending over quite that far. I found the bulb and inverter online from OEM Acura Parts for $91 & $295 respectively.

Does anyone know where I can get it cheaper or perhaps a better vendor? Has anyone replaced these parts themselves? If so, any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Racer

OK so I just found out I blew my passenger side inverter, but my roadlamp went out too. Did anyone elses do the same? I don't think my roadlamps have anything to do with my HID system, so I don't know why this happened. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:24 PM
Racer

Does anyone know if the roadlamp is on the same fuse as the headlight and thats why it went out at the same time?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:05 AM
9th Gear

Driver side inverter is out

When I took my car in, the tech guy told me that when the inverter blew, it also blew the bulb and the fuse. Eventually, I'm going to buy the parts and replace them myself.

Has anyone replaced these parts themselves yet?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to be posted on any DIY for this. My car is out of warranty right now, but the light did go out twice while it was under warranty. Seems like every 2 years, the light went out and the inverter was bad.

I'm anticipating it will go out again in another 2 years.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jr23112
When I took my car in, the tech guy told me that when the inverter blew, it also blew the bulb and the fuse. Eventually, I'm going to buy the parts and replace them myself.

Has anyone replaced these parts themselves yet?

Was your road lamp out too? I'm trying to figure out why they went out at the same time... I assume when the inverter blew it blew the fuse for the right side and the road lamp and headlight are on the same fuse.... does anyone know if this is true?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

^^^
Probably true. The roadlamp wire taps into the headlight wire.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:46 AM
5th Gear

in my case, the roadlamp wasnt out. it wasnt getting the current. so the bulb is all good. once u replace the inverter, the lamp should be able to power up too!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Racer

Does anyone know the part number of another ballast that will work with our cars? I heard you can buy a Hella or a few other brands and not have to spend what it would cost for the actual Acura part.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Sundance Gold in

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
to many things at once is happening for tha ballast malfunction . i had same stuff happening: hid blinking , high beams berly glowing,...... it was a fuse terminal rust.(no blown fuse). there are two fuses for headlights in main fuse box under the hood. check that. it cost me hrs to figure this out but $0 Btw if this becomes a ballast issue i got used one for sale.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Sundance Gold in

to many things at once is happening for tha balast malfunction . i had same stuff happening: hid blinking , high beams berly glowing,...... it was a fuse terminal rust.(no blown fuse). there are two fuses for headlights in main fuse box under the hood. check that. it cost me hrs to figure this out but $0
Old 08-28-2006, 10:28 PM
Sundance Gold in

oops i did not read entirely original post. looks like shorted ballast to me, it draws a lot of current when it shorts. about 1 hr to replace, fairly simple about 15 clips and maybe 10 screws. unit bolted direcly under headlight
Old 09-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Damn...I guess I'm joining on the inverter club.

I thought just my driving lights (fog) on the passenger side was out. replaced it to notice that the intensity is VERY LOW. Then I notice that the low beam on the passenger side went out.

I've been noticing that my high beam indicator is very deam, but did pay much attention to it. Great. Looks like its gonna cost me.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:42 AM
AckAttack6MT

Originally Posted by clubali1
Hello,
My driver side HID is out. I washed my car yesterday and after that I turned on my headlights to find that my right side low beam wasnt working. Instead of that the highbeam headlight is turned on both sides but very low output similar to Day Light Running Lamps. (Only canadian models have DLR's btw.. non mine).

In my instrument panel, the Highbeam light is on with reduced brightness. I checked the fuse for the right headlight and it was blown. but everytime i replace it , its blows!!

When I turn on the HIGH beams, the DLR's turn on full power.

I am really hoping that the inverter isnt shot.... ... any ideas??

I'm having the same exact problem with my 03 CL-S. My driver side low beam went out, dealership did a diagnostic ($95) and said it was the inverter. I got one from Acuraoemparts.com (about $300) and decided to get some PIAA Supercobalt aftermarket HID bulbs ($350) while I was at it. Replaced the inverter with a friend, the factory bulb worked. Then replaced both bulbs and they worked too. Just when I thought everything was fixed, the PASSENGER side low beam went out not 2 weeks later. Dealership diagnoses, says now THAT inverter is out, tough luck Before I get a chance to fix it guess what... the driver's side goes out again just 3 weeks after being replaced with a brand new inverter. Does god hate me or what??? I don't have the time or money to be fixing this stuff every month. And to make matters worse, I just got pulled over the other night for driving without my headlights and got a fix it ticket, if I don't get them fixed within 30 days gotta pay $75 bucks... the funny thing about getting pulled over is that even though I just had my parking lights on, I also had my Hella FF50 driving lights on... all 4 of them, 2 on each side of the car, aimed perfectly and putting out a total of 220 watts, twice what that popo's lowbeams put out but I decided not to tell him that. Now that I think about it I should have. I hate to get rid of such a unique car but does anybody see a long term solution to this light problem? Thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 02:08 AM
9th Gear

Solution?

Is there a way to install "regular" headlamps on this model? If so, does anyone have a suggestion as to the particular mods?

Thx!
Old 09-22-2006, 02:42 AM
Advanced

I have the same problem, my driver side beam went out, it works one day but not the next. I just put in an icebox and some old threads say the ground wire might be the problem, not the inverter. What ground wire are they talking about?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 AM
9th Gear

Replacement?

Has anyone replaced the inverter / bulb combo themselves? The repair manual states that you've got to remove the front bumper to gain access to the area under the headlight as well as being able to remove the headlamp unit. How difficult is this? Is there a danger of setting off the airbag sensors? The local dealership wants $800 to do this and I just feel like forking out that much if I can replace it myself. I have a garage, tools, etc.

Comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:06 AM
Acura loyal for 93mo/109k

Check out page 7 of this post https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181138

You'll find that and alot more good information.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

Ok so im have a similar problem... My Driverrside low beams headlight doesn't work. The fuse was out so i replaced the fuse and the bulb. The new Fuse is fine and the bulb is new yet the light still will not turn on. are these symptoms of a bad an Inverter or something else? plz help!

-SGXX