engine knocking and metal shavings!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine knocking and metal shavings!

I'll try to make this as short as possible. I have an 01 cl-s. has about 190k on it. replaced the tranny about 10k miles ago. It was sitting in my garage for about 8 months. i took it out about 2 months ago. brought it in for an oil change immediatly, however, the oil light was still comming on. i checked the oil and it was full, and not leaking, so i assumed it was just a sensor or something like that. the engine has been knocking recently between 2k and 3k rpms. to be honest, its been knocking since the oil change, but it wasn't noticable enough to be considered knocking at the time. its alot more noticable now, and looking back, i realized it was knocking the whole time. anyway, after i confirmed it was knocking, i stopped driving the car. attempted to change the oil pump, and noticed metal shavings in the pan. idk whats alot, or the average amount. It didn't seem like alot to me, but there were silver shavings, looks like fingernail clippings in the pan, and smaller shavings in the mesh of the oil pickup line. my question is...am i going to need a new engine? has anyone else experienced this problem? what are the possible causes of this, and is it a terminal illness for my car?? I guess anything can be fixed, but i'm hoping this isn't too big of a deal...anyone have a type s engine for sale???

S\This may be a dumb question, but i thought i'd ask anyway...can the 07/08 tl type s engine fit in my car???
Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
your engine is gone. u put off fixing the problem when u noticed it and now u have to pay at the end.

the 07/08 engine will not fit. either the mdx or oddysey block will fit and u can put some rl pistons, stock crank, and i believe the tl-s heads. not sure tho. someone that has done this will chime in and tell u what u can do.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What would have caused that to happen?
190 k does not sem like alot of miles for this engin im at 170k and she stills runs like day 1 maybee better.. Can driving with no oil for awile cuz this or using really cheap oil and really cheap oil filter for 190k miles?

Let us know why something like this happened so we can avoid it!

U can fing a type-s engine for under 1k on Ebay there alot of these engines out there aiting for u to pick one up i know a junkyard in nj exit 10 on the turnpike that has a 02 with a good engine sitting around.. I know cuz i wanted to buy the coilpacks and they would not part out the engine u need the phone #?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Instructor

you can avoid this by fixing anyproblems when they FIRST arise. Change the oil on a regular basis, and use good quality oil/filter
Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 PM
5th Gear

yes...if you could get the number for me i would appreciate it. i saw a 03 tl type s engine on ebay for 299 with 95k miles on it, plus 300 to ship to ny, doesn't seem too bad...
Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

running the engine with really low oil is bad. having a bad oil pick up tube wont deliver the amount of oil u need. which will cause the clearance between moving metals even closer or they might even start rubbing. had to say what is wearing down unless u tear down the engine.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:09 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Originally Posted by SuperstarGump
yes...if you could get the number for me i would appreciate it. i saw a 03 tl type s engine on ebay for 299 with 95k miles on it, plus 300 to ship to ny, doesn't seem too bad...
a member recently bout an engine for $300, soon found out that the exhaust valves or both valves in all cylinders were bunt.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Instructor

if its knocking, its most likely a rod bearing
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
WOW that sounds REALLY cheap.. I doubt that this one will be that cheap.
Used coil packs sell for $25 x 6 $150.. R u sure its a full engine?

The place is called :
AAA all car auto salvage
Its on 1 dudley ct., Rte 1 S.
Avenel NJ 07001
(across from Samsone - next to Marriot)

I bought a tail light from them for $100 so SOME of there prices where fair.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:33 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Rajca
a member recently bout an engine for $300, soon found out that the exhaust valves or both valves in all cylinders were bunt.
well...this company is guaranteeing the engine, and giving me a 90 day warranty. it doesn't covor the hoses, belts, wires, etc, but all the harware such as the camshafts, pistons, block, oil pump, etc is covored. according to them they took the engine out of a 03 tl type s that was hit in the rear. idk if thats the truth or not, but they seem to sell alot of engines. they have alot of good feedback. its one thing if it was an individual selling it, but they do alot of business...so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Its the best price i found thus far...
Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
B A N N E D

well...this company is guaranteeing the engine, and giving me a 90 day warranty. it doesn't covor the hoses, belts, wires, etc, but all the harware such as the camshafts, pistons, block, oil pump, etc is covored. according to them they took the engine out of a 03 tl type s that was hit in the rear. idk if thats the truth or not, but they seem to sell alot of engines. they have alot of good feedback. its one thing if it was an individual selling it, but they do alot of business...so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Its the best price i found thus far...

Give my place a call and see what they say..
If the place got good feedback and sells alot of engines then I would go for it for that price..
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Pilot Extraordinaire

Sounds like your oil pump died. When you have low or no oil pressure, shut it down til you get it fixed.

Do you want to sell it?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by corsair
Sounds like your oil pump died. When you have low or no oil pressure, shut it down til you get it fixed.

Do you want to sell it?
How do u know when the oil pump dies, the oil light would turn on?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,323 Likes on 4,900 Posts
Originally Posted by camaroracer016
if its knocking, its most likely a rod bearing
My first thought as well.

On another note, an improperly installed flywheel makes the same sound. Dont ask me how I know.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Instructor

if the oil pump dies, then you will have little or no oil pressure, which in turn will make the oil light come on.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Registered CL-er!

im in the same boat

I have an 01 type s, my oil pump went last year due to lack of oil changes plus driving habits changed for the worst so that didn't help. after i got that replaced along with my timing belt and water pump, i need one coil pack. it was burnt up due to the wrong spark plug. I never checked the plugs, i assumed autozone gave me the right ones, end up striping the head as well so i had it helo coiled.

Everything was fine after that. A few months later my trans start acting up, the dealer wont fix it due to warranty, and i still owe so im really pissed, i drive with the tranny fucked up for a while till i figure a game plan.

one day the car over reved because the tranny downshifted on its own to 2nd going 80mph. i just made it to work. i had the same shop who did the prior work look at it and said the engine has to be replaced. the car has a loud ticking noise coming from the front head, sounds like the valves are bent not really shore.

im just pricing around for an engine and tranny, the car as been sitting for months and i would like to get it fixed soon. i decided just replace the engine and trans

A friend put me on this web site http://car-part.com u can search all salvage yards in the country on one forum.