Car won't start, then it starts on 2nd try??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Car won't start, then it starts on 2nd try??

What's up everybody, I hate to be in this forum section but I have a small problem:

When I haven't driven the car for 24 hours or so, I go to start the car and it completely doesn't react, like the car has no battery. Nothing, just a click and everything is dead. Weird part is that if I open the door and close the door while sitting in the drivers seat, then go to start again, it starts right up. So before I start the car, the exterior lights and interior lights work fine. But as soon as I turn the key, everything dies. When I open the door, everything turns back on and the car starts. Its annoying because sometimes I have to enter the radio code and reset the auto up/down on the window.

Anybody have this problem?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first guess is either a bad battery or a bad battery connection.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well considering you're from NY and the weather has probably been as cold as a witches titty. Check your battery and see what your cold crank rating is. If it's somewhat low and the battery is somewhat weak, this is probably why it's not starting right away on the first crank.

But honestly, i dont see why it doesn't even react and crank a little or just take a long crank on the first time to start. I thought this was the typical reaction of a weak battery.

Like zippee said, check the connection then take a trip down to autozone and have them test your battery.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't think its the connection, because why would it spontaneously reconnect from opening the door?

shitty thing is I have a blower, so its hard to change the battery.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
It could be the door pin switch. Maybe there's a short or something & it' making the alarm think it's on & won't let it start.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
It could be the door pin switch. Maybe there's a short or something & it' making the alarm think it's on & won't let it start.
Hmmm, that might be something to look into. It certainly sounds like soemthing weird like that rather than the typical battery or terminal connection. Its like a gliche or something because right before i turn the key, everything is going fine, lights are on, chime, etc. Then I turn and everything dies abruptly. open the door and everything comes back. weird.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Former Sponsor

WOw, I'm kinda embarassed to say this, but I took my car in today for an inspection sticker that was expired. The test said not ready due to battery or something. I was thinking it was the same symptoms I was experiencing.

My mechanic took a look at the battery terminals, turns out one oif them was loose, DOH!
Glad it was somthing simple. Car actually felt stronger too. I think the slamming of the door gave the car the ability to start the second time, weird.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rondog
WOw, I'm kinda embarassed to say this, but I took my car in today for an inspection sticker that was expired. The test said not ready due to battery or something. I was thinking it was the same symptoms I was experiencing.

My mechanic took a look at the battery terminals, turns out one oif them was loose, DOH!
Glad it was somthing simple. Car actually felt stronger too. I think the slamming of the door gave the car the ability to start the second time, weird.
Just be happy it didn't come loose while you were driving. That happened to me one time when I was on the freeway during rush hour traffic. Terminal came loose and all the power died. Had to cruise into the right shoulder lane from the left since there wasn't enough room in the left shoulder.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem about three months ago. I turned off my car, but left the lights on and the key in the ignition. Tried to start it, but it kept making a ticking noise. None of the inside or outside lights got dim. Every time I would try to crank it over, it would just make a slight ticking noise, then stop (but none of the lights were dim before, during or after cranking took place). I left it alone for a while, then it started back up. The next day, I was at the gas station, turned it off, and when leaving, car would start. Let it sit for a while, it started up. Eventually, took it to the dealership and it was my battery that needed to be replaced.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by slvrdrgn123
Just be happy it didn't come loose while you were driving. That happened to me one time when I was on the freeway during rush hour traffic. Terminal came loose and all the power died. Had to cruise into the right shoulder lane from the left since there wasn't enough room in the left shoulder.
Yeah, I guess your right. I always felt liek the car was wanting to shut off while driving, but it was so minor. Weird thing was I was getting really good gas mileage, lol. Now the car feels so much stronger with the cable end actually tightened around the battery terminal.