another solution for my auto CL guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011 | 07:57 PM
Pro

What's the deal with the pressure sensors? Why do they need to be replaced/changed?
Old 04-08-2011 | 02:33 PM
Intermediate

I was told by the tech at Honda not to worry about the pressure switches or the temperature sensor. He said if there was a problem with them it would throw a code. He actually said that the temp sensor was a real witch to change and if you have a problem you have to do some drilling to get it out and from there, the case has to be opened to fix it. In other words, "Don't mess with it if you don't have to". The pressure switches and temperature sensor are on the lower front driver's side corner of the tranny, they should not be too bad to get out, even if you had to do it with the tranny in the car. And that's only if it throws a code....
Old 04-08-2011 | 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

06 Oddy into 2000 TL

Well I went this morning to get my Tranny from the shippers and all went well. I got it home and started the transfer of some parts.

I am taking a bunch of photos with my I-phone and will post them in a series explaining some of the steps I did for my swap.

06 Oddy case was the same EXCEPT No Hole for the Power Steering sender however this was solved by NVA and his suggestion---it was simple just loop the hose back on itself. However, the two hose bibs are two different sizes which I will point out in photos---I just took the larger hose and put a larger clamp on it and tightened it as tight as I could get it. I will not be able to tell if it will leak at all until everything is put back together and I have pressure going through the Hose.

O6 Oddy case Dip Stick is taller and different than 2000 TL's, Taller and Curved different. I changed the TL's into the New Oddy Tranny and will post photos of the difference.

I changed ATF warmer Base as well and took photos and will post, since the 2000Tl did not have the same hose setup as the newer 06 Oddy. My 2000Tl had the dealer installed re-call where they drilled a hole in the Oil Filler Bolt and then ran a hose kit. Instead of doing a ATF seperate cooler I just transfered it all over. It should be fine. NVA explained how I could just delete it and add a coooler but I stayed stock.

Will post as many photos as I can as I go through the stages and try to make it coherent in a single post.

Tommorow is the big day, put it back in and start connecting everything.

Thanks to all who have given me pointers, alot of work but I am saving a ton of money from the STEALERSHIP.
Old 04-10-2011 | 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

I would have just kept the oddy dipstick if possible. Because your TL dipstick maybe inaccurate in the new transmission.

Originally Posted by Neejay
hmm...how hard is it to replace the pressure switches when everything is back in the car?
Very easy. You just turn the wheel all the way to the left and you will have full access to the 3rd and 4th gear switches.

Originally Posted by Neejay
What's the deal with the pressure sensors? Why do they need to be replaced/changed?
Check the 3G TL side. That where I got my information about the switches.

Last edited by aznboi2424; 04-10-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-10-2011 | 05:45 AM
Advanced

if anyone get a cel code 1753 after installing the trans dont worry. its only a broken wire. either the ground or the signal from the ecu. in my case the ground was broken so i just gronded it to the trans
Old 04-10-2011 | 05:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Big Bear
06 Oddy case was the same EXCEPT No Hole for the Power Steering sender however this was solved by NVA and his suggestion---it was simple just loop the hose back on itself. However, the two hose bibs are two different sizes which I will point out in photos---I just took the larger hose and put a larger clamp on it and tightened it as tight as I could get it. I will not be able to tell if it will leak at all until everything is put back together and I have pressure going through the Hose.

the hose will leak. use the smaller hose n FORCE it over the bigger pipe
Old 04-10-2011 | 04:13 PM
Cruisin'

Powersteering hose

Well I wish I had read that yesterday, I hope that hose does not leak. Tranny is in and all I have left to do is get some new Transmission fluid tommorow from Acura and fill er up.

I actually changed the hose completely to a size in between the two for the Power Steering, I tried and tried and could not get it (Original Hose) over the larger hose bib. I did not even look to see if I am going to be able to access it again if it does leak---- Crap. I am afraid to crawl back under there and see if I can even get to the hose again?

Everything went back in easier than coming out and the Tranny actually went in the first try---no jaming or anything just slid right in like the old VW's do.

I took a good number of photos and I am going to get them organized around things I needed to change.

I guess I should have clarified the DipStick issue better---the lower half of the Dipstick measured the same as the Oddy DipStick it was just the length and shape of the upper section----more than likely based on the shape of the car.

I am looking for any suggestions on any certain tricks to do when I start it up for the first time? I don't want to burn up any pumps or anything---I lost alot of Power Steering fluid but I assume I can just top it off again with new fluid and the pump should be fine.

As for the Tranny I was going to fill it to the Manufact Specs and Run it for a few minutes shut it down then run it again for around 4 minutes shut it down check the stick and then run it around 10 minutes check the stick and since I have it on the stands then run it through the Gears?

I figured on trying the above first before I put it on the road and that is if I don't get any codes.

Anyone think of anything super important I am leaving out?
Old 04-11-2011 | 09:52 PM
Cruisin'

Success

Well I filled the Tl up today with three quarts of new fluid and turned the key----success so far----no codes no issues and I drove around for about 15 minutes shifted fine and no issues.

No here is where I don't want everyone to laugh at me but since the car is NEW to me and came to me without a working transmission I am still trying to figure out the shifter and all of the positions---yeah go ahead and start laughing now.

I do not have the owners manual so I am not sure about the shifting patterns.

On the dash everything lights up except the 5th gear light????

Not sure how to run a check on all of the positions for the shifter but the cable seems to be right since it is in Neutral when the dash light lights up as neutral and 1st gear and 2nd gear lights are right, I got on the freeway and it shifted fine and at around 65 mph it shifted into the last gear but I could not tell if it is shifting 5 times or 4 times.

RPMs at 65 to 70 seem right around 1700 rpm??

Still putting the photos in logical order and I am going to do a a fluid change tommorow with a new filter as well just for safety.
Old 04-11-2011 | 10:24 PM
Pro

How did you handle the trans range switch?

From what I understand, the trans range switch is what syncs the transmission position and shifter position (I may not be describing it technically right).

I had this switched over from my TL trans when I had my 07 Accord transmission installed.

EDIT: Actually, you basically have to have the trans range switch at the exact same position as the shifter itself when they're linked together. When I took my TL to the shop, I printed 2 pages from the FSM and gave it to the shop on how to uninstall/re-install the trans range switch. This shows how the twist it to get it into the same position as the shifter.
Old 04-11-2011 | 10:27 PM
Pro

Another thing, For those of you that use the Odyssey or Accord transmissions, what are your RPMs when you're at 80mph?

Exactly 80mph = exactly 2.5k RPMS for me.
Old 04-12-2011 | 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Alright, got the trans bolted in and the subframe back in. Also got all the motor mounts tightened down. I then went to install the flexplate bolts and got a little scare. First I turned the torque converter until I saw a bolt hole, I put in a bolt and continued to turn the engine around to put the rest of the bolts in. I got scared when half the holes didn't line up!. When I got back to the first bolt, I took it out and turned to engine until I could see two holes in the flex plate. Then I turned the torque converter until those two holes in the flex plate lined up with holes in the torque converter. After that, all the holes lined up. I thought I was going to have to take the tranny back out and use my old torque converter! I checked to old torque converter and each hole has another hole at 180 degrees. Somehow there must be some unequal spacing between the holes.
Old 04-13-2011 | 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

Oddy into TL

Hi Neejay,

I drove the TL to work today with my fingers crossed---no codes and everything seems to be working okay. RPMS seemed high?

Since this is a new car to me and I have no prior experience with it, I had no base line to compare it to.

I put it on Cruise Control and it was running around 2400 RPM, it is a 40 mile commute for me to work.

I switched what I thought was the Trans Range Switch but I am not sure if I did it right based on your description from the FSM?

Do you have the page numbers for the procedure that you gave to the mechanic, I got a online disc for my FSM and it does not offer any search functions and I have to scroll forever to find a specific item.

I hope the Trans Range Switch is somewhere I can get to if I replaced the wrong sensor?
Old 04-13-2011 | 12:40 PM
Cruisin'

Oddy Tranny Fluid Level?

If you have been following my posts some might have seen where I transfered the older TL Dip Stick over to the 06 Oddy Tranny.

I am now paranoid about OVERFILLING the Fluid. I did a search and it states the service calls for 3.5 quarts with a change.

I have put 4 quarts in it and it just shows right before the bottom dot on the TL stick.

However it was shipped to me and I know the tranny was drained. Does anyone know what the amount is for a ALMOST DRY tranny?

I PM'd NVA but he has not got back to me and I am paranoid about burning this new ODDY up
Old 04-13-2011 | 12:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by The Big Bear
If you have been following my posts some might have seen where I transfered the older TL Dip Stick over to the 06 Oddy Tranny.

I am now paranoid about OVERFILLING the Fluid. I did a search and it states the service calls for 3.5 quarts with a change.

I have put 4 quarts in it and it just shows right before the bottom dot on the TL stick.

However it was shipped to me and I know the tranny was drained. Does anyone know what the amount is for a ALMOST DRY tranny?

I PM'd NVA but he has not got back to me and I am paranoid about burning this new ODDY up
Well, assuming you drained (or it was drained too) the torque converter, it would be a FULL drain...which would call for like 8qts of fluid to properly refill. (I can't remember the exact amount, but I know it's around 8qts)

EDIT: hmm so 2400 @ 80mph? and I'll check the FSM and report back here in a sec.
Old 04-13-2011 | 12:58 PM
Pro

Trans range switch: page 880 out of 2187 (the FSM PDF I have) which starts at page "14-384" via page number at the bottom of the PDF page.
Old 04-13-2011 | 07:21 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks

Neejay thanks, for the help on the pages and the amount of Tranny Fluid.

Could not help but notice your location, I have a house and property in Ellijay Ga; North of you on the 515 North in Gilmer County. I grew up there and ended up in Ca when I was in the Marines.

Anyways thanks again for the pages and help, I am going to check it out right now.
Old 04-13-2011 | 07:58 PM
Intermediate

Today I got the axles back in and put the car back on the wheels. Tomorrow the new cooler is supposed to be here. I still need to plug every thing in, put the shifter cable back in, adjust the range switch, put the interior back together, put the air filter back in and put the battery back in.

As far as the dipstick is concerned, didn't say that you measured it before you put it in? Yes I agree that the Ody is longer up top due to the shape of the vehicle. As far as fluid is concerned, from what I've heard, you can only get 3 quarts or so out during a normal draining of the fluid. That's why they say to do the 3 quart drain thing a couple times to get as much dirty fluid out as you can. I think when they do the tranny flush at the dealership they use 9 or 12 quarts. I'm not sure how many quarts it's going to take to fill mine as I'm adding the cooler. I bought 9 quarts, and I might need more, as I plan on filling it, running it on the lift through the gears, and then draining it and filling it again
Old 04-15-2011 | 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Ok, another lesson learned today. The Acura shifter cable cover does not fit on the Odyssey transmission. The salvage yard did not supply me with the one from the Odyssey, but I thought I would be alright. I was wrong. I called them, and of course they don't have the one off this tranny, or do they have any laying around. I guess they assume if you are replacing a tranny, you have your original. So as a word of advice, make sure you are getting all the parts when you get another tranny. I did call my friendly neighborhod Honda dealer and they are ordering it for me. Luckily it's only $20. My only concern is that the Odyssey cover will work with my cable. As long as I treat the part nicely and don't mark it up, and as long as I open the bag carefully with a razor blade, so it could be resealed and sold as new, he said he's let me return the cover if it does not work. Either way, I'm going to have to MAKE it work, one way or another, as the acura cover does not fit. It's going to be the end of next week before it arrives from California. At least I can finish up the rest of the install...
Old 04-18-2011 | 07:32 PM
Cruisin'

No cover

Same thing happened to me but I managed to get the Original TL cover to line up and fit the Oddyssey Tranny.

I just reemed out one hole a bit, the other two still lined up and then I had to slightly take a bit of the edge off with my grinder.

I could not tighten it up all the way but the gap ws les than a 1/8th of an inch so I was afraid the cable would be in a different position or not work but everything shifts and works great.

Give it a try and save the money on the Cover if it works.

Also I never switched out the Trans Range switch based on everything is shifting and running fine and NVA told me if I have no codes and based on my RPM I should be fine.

I believe him but I went ahead and ordered one from E-BAY and I might change it out to see if the RPM's change much.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Yeah, my original thought was to try and make it work. Without the cable bolted into it, it actually fit OK. The two holes lower to the ground line up perfect. It the third hole which is a little higher off the ground that was wrong. The CL cover does not have as much depth. I was going to fill the gap at the bolt with washers, and hope for the best. It ends up that the cable end, that bolts into that cover is bigger around, it ends up pushing the whole cover out and away. I suppose I could have rounded out two of the holes to make all the bolts go in, but I still would have had quite a gap. For $20, I'll have the new cover this week.

After you say that your old range switch is working, maybe I'll try putting my old one back on. The Ody switch is just a pinch different, and the cover that coes over it has different bolt holes.
Old 04-19-2011 | 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

Cover and old trans switch

I have not gotten to that point yet on the Trans switch. I just got it in the mail yesterday and it looks the same but I will have to jack up the car and take off the wheel to get to it to see it it lines up. I printed the pages of instructions and it does not look that complicated but It might turn out like NVA said and not work right. I might be opening a bag of problems by trying to switch them out. No one has answered the question yet about if it makes a difference on the RPMs or where the Tranny shifts at? That would be the only reason to do it in my mind. If it is some type of Pressure related sensor than it would make sense to me but in the instructions you have to have it lined up in the Neutral position so it seems it has more to do with the gear selection and from everything I can tell my car goes through All five gears and finds the torque converter for overdrive? I should write down all the RPMs and points of gear change then make the swap and see if it is a big change.
Old 04-24-2011 | 09:49 AM
Intermediate

OK, the CL now moves under it's own power! I got the new shift cable cover and it fit perfectly. I found that I didn't have the shift cable in reverse when I tightened it down, that made it impossible for me to get into the 1-2 position. I ended up putting back on the Ody range switch, it fits much better. I got the bumper cover back on. I filled it full of fluid, it took about 5 quarts. I lifted the front tires and ran the wheels to distribute the fluid, but was getting the traction control system to kick in. Later I remembered that I could have shut it off. There are still things to put together, and I'd like a road test and another fliud drain and fill. But just to have it back out of the garage under it's own power, with no codes, and no strange noises and nothing falling apart. I needed the lift to change the oil in my Mom's summer car, as her winter car's brakes are grinding, and at the moment it's faster for me to change the oil in one car than tie up my garage with what could be a little more extensive job, especially with the holiday this weekend.
Old 04-24-2011 | 05:47 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Congrats!
Old 05-10-2011 | 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

is there anyone im cali that does this SWAP!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2011 | 02:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I would just call around to local shops, i'm sure some tuner shops could tackle it
Old 06-01-2011 | 08:24 PM
6th Gear

hey guys im new here have a question i have a 3.0 99 cl with 113000 mile and transmission is about to go. i found a 99 tl 3.2 transmission for cheap the job is costing 600 instead of 2000 for a rebuild.wondering if it would be the same transmission?thanx in advance
Old 06-04-2011 | 09:27 PM
3rd Gear

i have an 1998 CL 2.3, a few month ago i got the issue of shifter lever stuck in park, in those days, to release the lever i had to push the brake repeatedly until i heard the release sound in the shift lever. But a month ago it wont work anymore and NOW i have to do the screwdriver thing to unlock the lever and release it everytime or leave he lever in neutral and activate handbrake. My brake lights works perfectly so it is not the brake switch, i guess, what do u think i have to do with this, thanks a lot.
Old 06-07-2011 | 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Wrong section. You have a 1G CL, you are in the 2G section.

Here's where you should be:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-1997-1999-56/
Old 07-27-2011 | 07:09 AM
Cruisin'

When I took my TL to the shop, I printed 2 pages from the FSM and gave it to the shop on how to uninstall/re-install the trans range switch. This shows how the twist it to get it into the same position as the shifter.[/quote]

Where is the trans range switch located?
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

major problem and need help

So last week i picked up a tranny from 05 accord v6 after reading this thread. Old tranny out and after removing it an ugly discovery. new tranny doesnt have holes for what looks like the power steering pump on the back side of the tranny. Cant figure out how to post pictures through an URL? Its definitely embossed for tapping but Am i screwed here?? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by craigmax929
When I took my TL to the shop, I printed 2 pages from the FSM and gave it to the shop on how to uninstall/re-install the trans range switch. This shows how the twist it to get it into the same position as the shifter.
Where is the trans range switch located?
I think it's on the drivers side of the transmission, near the bottom...not 100% sure. I had to fish through the FSM to find it.
Originally Posted by craigmax929
So last week i picked up a tranny from 05 accord v6 after reading this thread. Old tranny out and after removing it an ugly discovery. new tranny doesnt have holes for what looks like the power steering pump on the back side of the tranny. Cant figure out how to post pictures through an URL? Its definitely embossed for tapping but Am i screwed here?? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
I haven't seen it done, but apparently you're supposed to loop it back on itself or something other. I think it's *supposed* to be self-explanatory when you're looking at it. It's not the same as your regular power steering and you shouldn't even notice a difference without it.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong. Also, you might want to do a search throughout the thread.
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:46 PM
Cruisin'

Way to go Neejay. I just read your thread and I must have panicked prematurely. I had a strong feeling that was it but there isnt a write up yet but i am taking pictures on my blackberrry. Time to bolt up. I greatly appreciate it! Thanks.
Old 09-18-2011 | 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

hows everybody's trannys holding up? put almost 30k on it since i had it installed.
Old 09-18-2011 | 01:15 PM
Sundance Gold in

got here 15k and running A+
Old 09-18-2011 | 07:26 PM
BANNED

I know of one of the first I did now has 90K on it since I just did his timing belt again, the guy drives for his job and racks up 60K+ a year.
Old 09-20-2011 | 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Is there like a storage issue with trannys? I've bought an oddy trans and its stored in my garage on a mover's dolly covered in plastic. I also covered all the fluid holes. The garage is relatively low humidity. I just want to make sure my purchase will work for me in the future if I need it in say 5 years.
Old 09-20-2011 | 03:18 PM
BANNED

Not really, sounds like you packed it so that crap won't build up on it.
Old 09-20-2011 | 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

yea, just wanna make sure. I'll definately do a fill then probably 2x3 qts to make sure any moisture or crap gets carried out. yes, a 2x3.
Old 11-04-2011 | 07:26 PM
10th Gear

I Swapped a 2006 tl trans with 56,000 miles into my 01 cl..It turned out great.THANKS TO NVA and DIDDY..I could not have done it without there posts...swapped it in 9/11/11. racked up about 1500 miles so far.. The swap exceeded my expectations by far...A must for cl owners who wanna keep there car..
Old 11-07-2011 | 07:06 PM
Intermediate

Well a big thanks to NVA-AV6 for helping me answer some questions that I had. My 06 tl tranny arrived last week and my car should be done tomorrow!
The fresh one with 24,000 miles on it.

My old one, which was the second dealer replacement. My car only has 121,000 miles.

A case of Honda ATF

Bolted up to the motor!

I'll post in a few days to let you guys know the results of the swap!

Quick Reply: another solution for my auto CL guys