01 CL Tpe S Trans slipping

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 CL Tpe S Trans slipping

whats up? new here, hoping to get advice from the pros on this car. my 2001 cl type S has 160k miles on it and its been slipping from 3-4 and sometimes 2-3 gear. (the car revs high for a sec before it goes into those gears). sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. the trans fluid is black! i dont notice any smells, but what im hoping to get here is should i drain and fill the fluid and change the filter? my friends who work on cars tell me not to, that the old black fluid is the only stuff holding it together. i really want to give the car some fresh fluid, since it probably hasnt been done since it around 90k miles. please advise! thanks
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeynyhc
the trans fluid is black! i dont notice any smells, but what im hoping to get here is should i drain and fill the fluid and change the filter? my friends who work on cars tell me not to, that the old black fluid is the only stuff holding it together. i really want to give the car some fresh fluid, since it probably hasnt been done since it around 90k miles. please advise! thanks

How long have you owned the car?
It's 'giving up the ghost' before your eyes.
I'd roll the dice on an DW-1 ATF 3X3 change with new filter and do the screen cleaning described below:

If that does not help, prepare for an 06-07 Accord V6 BAYA transmission swap if you decide to keep the car from the crusher?
Good Luck.

Last edited by zeta; Yesterday at 03:35 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
4th Gear

thanks for the reply! ive owned the car since 2011, ive only ever changed the oil regularly, spark plugs, brakes etc. i wish i would have checked the trans fluid!!! i never beat on the car, i drive like an old lady. my best friend had it before me and he took care of it like a baby, literally worshipped the car. i let it sit in the garage for a few years and only ever driven it locally. like a 7 mile radius. he still gives me crap about it. i dont blame him.

im definitely considering rollin the dice. i saw that vid about the solenoid screens ill do that too for sure if i go through with it.

the problem with that accord swap is no shop around me will do it. they will only swap it with the trans that came with the car(used cls trans from the junkyard)
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeynyhc
thanks for the reply! ive owned the car since 2011, ive only ever changed the oil regularly, spark plugs, brakes etc. i wish i would have checked the trans fluid!!! i never beat on the car, i drive like an old lady. my best friend had it before me and he took care of it like a baby, literally worshipped the car. i let it sit in the garage for a few years and only ever driven it locally. like a 7 mile radius. he still gives me crap about it. i dont blame him.

im definitely considering rollin the dice. i saw that vid about the solenoid screens ill do that too for sure if i go through with it.

the problem with that accord swap is no shop around me will do it. they will only swap it with the trans that came with the car(used cls trans from the junkyard)

Not sure exactly where in New York you reside, however, if it is close to Clifton, New Jersey there is a guy named Paul who is well versed in Acura / Honda mechanic's as discussed in the thread below.
I don't think he'd give you any chicken sh!t static about an AV6 swap for your CL-S, though, you'd have to inquire, of course.

Paul, Our Star Master Mechanic in Nawth Jerzy Mechanic Strikes Again! - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

His number is given in post #20 if you feel compelled to investigate?
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
4th Gear

im in long island, not sure how the car would do for the drive out there. im definitely going to follow that video for the solenoid cleaning. will give Paul a call this week and see what he says. the accord trans that ive seen so many talk about on here would be nice because not only does it appear that its more reliable, but its WAY cheaper than the trans that came with the car! thank you for the info i appreciate it a lot
The following users liked this post:
zeta (Yesterday)
Old Today, 06:27 AM
2003 CL Type-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We bought our ‘03 in 2006. Acura replaced the transmission under warranty but the new one began slipping after the warranty expired. We just lived with it since it was occasional and fairly minor. A couple of years ago, I tried the full fluid swap and changed the spin-on filter and that solved the problem. Didn’t clean the solenoids b/c I wasn’t aware of that at the time. 5K miles since and still drives great at 145K.

Good luck and looking forward to an update.

Last edited by skyaa1; Today at 06:30 AM.